DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The UFC Rochester card (headlined by RdA vs. Kevin Lee) has two new bouts: Megan Anderson vs. undefeated Felicia Spencer and Cara de Sapato vs. Ian Heinisch. I don't think it was mentioned here but Anderson's teammate Grant Dawson will fighting TUF 27 lightweight winner Mike Trizano on the same card.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Hard to see McGregor retiring the day before this gets reported in the New York Times as a coincidence. 

I'm surprised why it took so long for this story to get any major traction. I mean it basically took three months.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Hard to see McGregor retiring the day before this gets reported in the New York Times as a coincidence. 

I'm surprised why it took so long for this story to get any major traction. I mean it basically took three months.

When someone brought it up here when it happened, I saw that another person say it would be a big story in several weeks time. I'm guessing that no one on the record would come out and say it was McGregor who was a suspect and the only sources (especially from what I saw) was just tabloids.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Just now, TheVileOne said:

McGregor must have a really good management team for keeping this quiet for so long. 

I don't think it's them as much as the legal system over there. 

Right, the NYT article mentions that journalists wanting to pursue it were told to refer to Conor in generic terms as an athlete. Newsrooms had clenched butts on this one, which is something we don't normally see.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think it's them as much as the legal system over there. 

And that's exactly what it was. Dave explained it on WOR, but the law in Ireland is that they won't name the suspect in a sexual assault case until there's a conviction. While there hasn't been a conviction, a lot has changed since the story was initially out there in rumbles and whispers and now Conor's name is out there.

I would love that. I think Jones picks him apart on the feet but it is a great fight to make. Ideally Stipe wouldn't be coming off of a year on the shelf after a loss, but we don't live in an ideal world shockingly.

Here is a hypothetical that I thought about that is kind of related to the Jones/Stipe thing.  If Cormier retires, Jones gets suspended again, and Stipe gets fed up with the UFCs bullshit, and they ran a tournament for the Heavyweight championship and anyone above 185 could enter...who would win? 

At heavyweight, I think the only real contenders are JDS, Ngannou, and Blades.  Light Heavyweight is where I don't know if we actually have a serious contender, but middleweight has the most of the talent.  Imagine Yoel Romero didn't have to cut weight?  He could win this right?  Luke Rockhold is a massive middleweight, he probably weighs somewhere around 225-230 outside of training, he has a chance.  Whittaker wrestled at 215, he's one of those deceptively large dudes who has the skills to beat guys larger than him.  Jacare's grappling makes him a danger to everyone on the planet, so he has a chance.  

35 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Here is a hypothetical that I thought about that is kind of related to the Jones/Stipe thing.  If Cormier retires, Jones gets suspended again, and Stipe gets fed up with the UFCs bullshit, and they ran a tournament for the Heavyweight championship and anyone above 185 could enter...who would win? 

The thing is any of that happened, one would automatically negate the other. This isn't like Bellator now where most of the field is literally on the edge of retirement or UFC during the SEG era where everyone had their bags packed for PRIDE at any sign of behind the scenes conflict. They can just throw money around. Cormier is too much of a company man like at an absurd Hiroshi Tanahashi level to the point where he will fight a man with virtually no training camp and knowing he needs to heal and/or get surgery. So if either one or two happens, one guy would step in to spite the other guy and they will just throw money at Stipe to fight either guy for the (interim) heavyweight title (like the current scenario where Cormier is not ready to come back). I don't see three happening because they would just stick JDS or Ngannou in there. Stipe ain't dumb enough to lose a potential payday. After all that's settled, it would be like Luke Rockhold or Yoel Romero vs. Gustafsson for the light heavyweight title or some variant. Then, Johnny Walker would be in a de facto light heavyweight title eliminator w/ Dominick Reyes.

I am not thrilled with Stipe vs Jones, but I'll say this much. If DC beating Jones would make my head explode, Stipe beating Jones would make my entire body supernova. I probably would wind up getting a Stipe tattoo or something dumb.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I am not thrilled with Stipe vs Jones

If I may ask, why not? DC isn't healthy and apparently Stipe is up to fight Jon based on his response tweet. I think they want do a better International Fight Week headliner than Jon trying to backdrop driver Thiago Santos through a mat.

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I may ask, why not? DC isn't healthy and apparently Stipe is up to fight Jon based on his response tweet. I think they want do a better International Fight Week headliner than Jon trying to backdrop driver Thiago Santos through a mat.

You should know the answer to this question.

Do I want to see my favorite fighter lose again and to the fighter I hate the most? No. I should have more confidence, but Jon is too unfuckwithable. Plus, I always worry about someone's chin when they get brutally beaten the way Stipe was against DC.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You should know the answer to this question.

Do I want to see my favorite fighter lose again and to the fighter I hate the most? No. I should have more confidence, but Jon is too unfuckwithable. Plus, I always worry about someone's chin when they get brutally beaten the way Stipe was against DC.

Well, according to Meltzer, Jon didn't want anything to do with Stipe. I think this kinda blows that up. If I gotta watch Anderson Silva get demo'd by Chris Partlow from The Wire (I don't hate Cannonier though obv) on the Rio card in May, then anybody can get it as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, Stipe managed to go almost half an hour without Francis Ngannou knocking him to Pluto. I love Marreta's resurgence and the fact that he has overperformed since going to 205, but he doesn't stand a chance compared to someone like Stipe who would provide more of a challenge even if he isn't Mr. Well Rounded. If I had a choice of fight as my "kill time before DC vs. Jones III" bout, I would choose Jon going up than another obligatory mandatory light heavyweight challenger.

• Haha 1

What's thinner the women's bantamweight division or TJ Dillashaw fighting at flyweight?  Holly Holm has lost 4 of her last 6 fights and is still the most deserving challenger.  I saw that and thought, she can't be the next challenger, but Viera and Ladd are not ready for Amanda Nunes.  Putting either of them in a title fight would be bad for their careers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

What's thinner the women's bantamweight division or TJ Dillashaw fighting at flyweight?  Holly Holm has lost 4 of her last 6 fights and is still the most deserving challenger.  I saw that and thought, she can't be the next challenger, but Viera and Ladd are not ready for Amanda Nunes.  Putting either of them in a title fight would be bad for their careers.

Ladd is someone to invest in. There is enough filler for her to destroy at 135 and from there you can evaluate how she would do in a title fight. I am not all that impressed by Vieira. She is a decent fighter, but I see her in that Sara McMann role long term.

I can see Holm beating Nunes because Holly isn't going to stand right in front of her. I think Amanda is always going to have trouble doing what she does to other girls to the likes of a Valentina Shevchenko or her predecessor Holly Holm. I think the question is what happens to Amanda if she gets frustrated after the first two rounds? Is she going to try to muscle her to ground? I think unless Holly has lost a bunch of strength over the years, I see that as being difficult. I think Valentina was able to do it because she is deceptively quick. Either way, I think Holly is a live dog. 

Marreta not so much but I mean anything can happen inside of round 1.