DVDVR Message Board

October Horrordays

Curt McGirt

Shit, it is almost October, isn't it?  

Not really. :)

You have a kid, Jae.   One of these days you will find out just how fast August and September roll by.

Finally watched Oculus last night.   Had a flaw or two but I still enjoyed it.  I will discuss it in length once we are well into the horror movie watching season.  I was kinda bummed that Relativity Media owns the rights to Mike Flannigan's short movie that Oculus is based on and only included the short movie on the Blu-Ray and UltraViolet releases.

I still need to go and see The Purge: Anarchy while it is still in town and showing at the budget theaters.  It is hard for me because my girlfriend hates horror movies, so I have to go and see the first run stuff by myself when I can spare the time.

Here's my list of shit I am going to watch / look forward to seeing as we get closer to October:

As Above, As Below

Afflicted

DEAD SNOW 2~!

The Sacrement

Annabelle - The Conjuring, Part 2

Demonic

The Purge:  Anarchy

The Babadook (if it comes out anytime soon).

Horns (comes out on Halloween~!)

Under The Skin (ashamed to say I let this one slip by)

I wish I had saved YOU'RE NEXT for October. Joe Swanberg crushes his part so hard. It's not particularly scary, but it's a fun watch and there's some good set pieces early on that had me rolling.

I'm ready whenever you are. 

Sorry for gloating but this is happening in my hometown said month: http://www.arttheater.coop/shocktober-2014/

So spoiled am I that I'm pissed I'm not seeing Zombie or Eyes Without A Face or (like last year) The Wicker Man this time. Far as the must-goes are for me: Psycho, Lost Boys, Candyman, Halloween. Sure I'll be too plastered to deal with Rocky Horror (again). NOTLD might be a must-see though the last time I saw it there (yeah, I know) had too many stupid college kids. The Exorcist also was played before and the response was ten times worse... god, if you ever wanted to execute people that didn't understand a movie...

That short is pretty fucking great.

I always thought it was awesome.  Karen Gillan does the dude's dialogue almost word for word in the big budget Oculus movie with all of the manic paranoia.  She is great.

I still prefer the short.   It works better with the single batshit unreliable narrator.  Oculus is a great horror movie but it doesn't blur the supernatural vs. insanity angle as well as the 30 minute piece that inspired it.

I'm the type that doesn't need it to be October to watch horror but September and October is a special time for me, my fiance and my siblings that it becomes horror/Halloween centric.  Once Labor Day is over, I start working on decorations and getting my costume pieced together (which i need to find more pieces).  I also start watching nothing but horror and Halloween related shows.  I got a collection of Halloween specials for Treehouse of Horror, King of the Hill, Roseanne and Home Improvement as well as Elvira's MTV Halloween special, Witches Night Out, Once Upon a Midnight Scary, Ghostwatch and some others.  I'm a sucker for anything Halloween related.

Just watched EVIL DEAD II on Netflix, and it got me wondering about the horror-comedy genre. Wikipedia tells me that it has been around much longer than I would have expected.

What's your favourite horror comedy? It's a genre that is easy to fuck up.

Just watched EVIL DEAD II on Netflix, and it got me wondering about the horror-comedy genre. Wikipedia tells me that it has been around much longer than I would have expected.

Shaun Of The Dead by light years. 

Slither (

) and Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3) are tied for second.

Then there are Black Sheep and Fido.   There is another movie whose title escapes me right now but it is pretty much a feminist revenge fantasy about a bunch of men trapped in a building being hunted down by mutated or deminically possesed women.  I think it has been on either IFC or Sundance recently.

I wasn't crazy about Tucker & Dale vs. Evil when I first saw it, but it has grown on me with repeated viewing.

Damn, Night of the Creeps, haven't seen that one in forever. Itching to be rented again. 

The Return of the Living Dead and the incomparable Dead Alive are still my faves. 

Night of the Creeps is on Instant.

Shit! I forgot Return of the Living Dead!  That's my favorite!  It's a top 10 horror film for me.

So, this whole discussion about Occulus Chapter 3 has got me to thinking about my ten favorite short horror films.

1. Oculus Chapter 3:  The Man With The Plan

2. The Ten Steps (Jesus, the payoff is my worst nightmare.  I think this weirds me out so much because I am a parent.)

3. There Are Monsters

4. Recorded Live (A sentimental favorite made in the '70's!  The blob made of video recording tape scared the shit out of me as a kid)

5. Living Dolls (I have always been freaked out by mannequins)

6. Proxy (SLENDER MAN~!)

7. The Contraption (Still a classic.  Stars mother fucking Riff Raff from Rocky Horror!)

8. He Dies At The End

9. Mama

10. BlinkyTM

Other good shit:  Alma (CGI animated short that starts off sweet but turns dark in a hurry), Still Life (yet another creepy mannequin movie), The French Doors, The Boogeyman (a Dollar Baby adoptation of the Stephen King short story).

AFAIK, most of these have got to be on YouTube, Vimeo, or Dailymotion somewhere.

I don't really consider the various versions of the Tell-Tale Heart to be horror shorts because they were really well done.  There has to be an air of amateurism in a work for me to think of it as a short.

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein

• Like 1

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein

If only for Bud Abbott's swank suit:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70-movie-comment-catch-all-thread/?p=77611

I watching all the shorts and 10 Steps is winning so far.

It is absolutely terrifying.  I don't think anyone with children can watch that and not feel uneasy.

I miss the cable line-ups of the '80's and '90's,  Shorts like Still Live and Living Dolls came on during the commercial breaks for Night Flight and Saturday Nightmares on the USA Network and Recorded Live was a short that came on during interludes between movies on HBO.

Night Flight also featured a short film adoptation of The Open Window by SAKI (I think I even watched that film in Middle School) and I seem to remember another short called Something's Fishy or somesuch where a fresh water angler suffers the worst role reversal ever..

I will always steer you towards the kickass scary stuff, man. 

The ending of The Ten Steps is heartbreaking.  I remember hugging the crap out of my daughter shortly after watching it.

Okay, STILL LIFE is now Number #1 and the BEST.

I like Still Life, but Living Dolls weirds me out more.  I just think that mannequins are creepy in general.  I think it is because I was home alone babysitting my kid brother and sister when I was 15 and Tourist Trap with Chuck Connors and Tanya Roberts came on The Movie Channel.  That movie fucked me up.

My boss fucking hates clowns.  He won't watch It or Killer Klowns From Outer Space.  I think the clown doll from Poltergeist did him in.