DVDVR Message Board

I can't believe they did it. I kept waiting for the twist too and there was nothing. My wife asked if I was sure that wasn't the series finale. Honestly, if the series did end now, I think it went out on a high note. Everything was neatly wrapped up, I'm guessing Saul doesn't return, and Quinn may not return as well. There's also no reason to revisit the Brodys. I'm really puzzled as to where they go next season. It's going to be a whole new show.

Well, once it got past the stupidity of Brody's escape, the episode was mostly alright, I guess. But Brody has been so ruined, and the logistics of getting him to the gallows so absurd, that neither his death nor Carrie's memorializing him on the wall landed with any emotional weight for me. It really just felt more like relief that it was FINALLY over.

But does anybody believe for a second that Lockhart would keep Carrie on at all, let alone give her a position like station chief? That was, like, what? Weird. Maybe he'll change his mind after he sees the security footage of Carrie defacing the memorial.

It occurred to me while I was watching the show that, barring the part where she declared that she was born to meet Brody, Carrie seemed to be better written tonight than she had been all season. Then it faded to black and Meredith Steihm's name popped up as a writer, and it made sense.

I guess I'll give next season a few episodes to see how they handle the new normal, but I'm not optimistic that they'll make good on their fresh start after they bungled what should have been a no-brainer, slam-dunk storyline for this season.

So what does the average American think about Brody now?  Do they still think he bombed the CIA?  Do they know that he killed the Iranian Big Boss?  I guess given the public execution, they must know that he was convicted of it.  Why do they think he did it?  Why do the Iranians (minus Javadi) think he did it?

Part of the reason I ask this is that Carrie asked for Brody to get a star on the wall.  If I understand the CIA's plot, it would be entirely counterproductive to openly admit that Brody was working with the CIA.  That's why Javadi ordered the Quds Force guys to leave Carrie behind when they nabbed Brody.  (I'd think they'd find that suspicious, but whatever).  I mean, the entire plot is ridiculous anyway, but if the Iranians knew the CIA assassinated Big Boss, there's no way that would make them more open to working with the US. 

Obviously the point of the star request was just to set up the emotional note of Carrie defacing the monument adding Brody's star.  But it was sad that to get to that point, they had to make her act like a total idiot.  She could have just asked for a "star of the unknown unofficial CIA operative" or something.  Or heck, if they didn't even talk about it, it's not like the viewer would have been wondering why she drew a star on the thing.  It ain't rocket science. 

The scene at the end with her talking to her family was so boring, and that's what next season is going to be.  Basically, it's the conversation she had with Quinn: how can I be a badass station chief during the day and a nurturing mommy at night?  Sounds fucking awful.

Yeah, but Iran would never work anyway.  Yet another reason it wouldn't: the folks who connected Carrie to Javadi would find it awfully odd that after Brody killed Big Boss, Brody's recently-institutionalized girlfriend gets promoted to CIA Station Chief.  Every single part of Saul's infiltration scheme just sucked so suckily.

So what does the average American think about Brody now?  Do they still think he bombed the CIA?  Do they know that he killed the Iranian Big Boss?  I guess given the public execution, they must know that he was convicted of it.  Why do they think he did it?  Why do the Iranians (minus Javadi) think he did it?

Technically, shouldn't the average American love Iran now for publicly killing the most wanted man in the world? 

I loved the complete lack of explanation as to why Lockhart would have ANYTHING to do with Carrie, much less promote her.  More Jedi mind shit from Carrie, I guess.

I eagerly await season 4 to bomb (no pun intended) and season 5 to introduce a new character: the twin brother Brody.

Technically, shouldn't the average American love Iran now for publicly killing the most wanted man in the world? 

I loved the complete lack of explanation as to why Lockhart would have ANYTHING to do with Carrie, much less promote her.  More Jedi mind shit from Carrie, I guess.

I eagerly await season 4 to bomb (no pun intended) and season 5 to introduce a new character: the twin brother Brody.

Or better yet, full fledged Kareem Abdul Jabbar-sized adult Chris Brody... terrorist, or hero?

Honestly, "Homeschooled" written and directed as if it was a season of 24 would probably interest me more than what they've been doing.

In some ways, I not only think the show jumped the shark way too quickly, it circled back around to the other side of the tank so it could jump all over again.

Stop me if you've heard me say this before, but it blows my mind how badly they didn't do Adal/Quinn vs. Carrie in a race to find Brody with Saul caught in the middle. It was such a no-brainer. It probably would've been more like 24 than the first season of HOMELAND, but, competently done, I'd take a season of 24-lite over what we ended up with.

Everybody would've been used in their ideal capacity in that scenario. Quinn could be badass. Adal could be ruthless and a little sinister. Carrie could be...well, mostly the same I guess. And Saul could find himself caught in all manner of moral and ethical quandries as he balances helping Adal capture-or-kill Brody and helping Carrie prove he's innocent, which is when he's at his best as a character.

Instead, we got Saul put in charge and immediately revealing himself to be an insane person. Adal was just a stuffed suit who didn't intimidate anyone. And Quinn mainly moped around in the background for 13 episodes.

Speaking of Quinn: Anybody remember when he shot a kid in the season premier? Or when he confessed to Javadi's murders? None of that went ANYWHERE.

• Like 1

Quinn could be badass.

Badass Quinn feels like a lifetime ago.  He turned into such a pussy this season, whining and moping around about Carrie.  He's pretty much become the male equivalent of her.

I assume next season starts with Carrie assembling her "team" and telling Lockhart she wants Saul.  Lockhart says absolutely not.  No way.  Impossible.  He'd rather quit than take him back.  Carrie pleads and begs, tells him "he owes her one."  Lockhart looks at her, doesn't speak.  Cut to Saul putting his stuff in his new office.

Quinn could be badass.

Badass Quinn feels like a lifetime ago.  He turned into such a pussy this season, whining and moping around about Carrie.  He's pretty much become the male equivalent of her.

I assume next season starts with Carrie assembling her "team" and telling Lockhart she wants Saul.  Lockhart says absolutely not.  No way.  Impossible.  He'd rather quit than take him back.  Carrie pleads and begs, tells him "he owes her one."  Lockhart looks at her, doesn't speak.  Cut to Saul putting his stuff in his new office.

This show frustrated me beyond belief and that's not even the legit premise for the next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caught up on this and I kind of wish I left it alone. There were some interesting parts. The Special Ops team and the way they interacted with Brody were great. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Special Ops guys. Despite Saul's terrible plans for Iran and regime change, etc...  he's still a great character and Lockhart was maybe the MVP of the season. I loved the thrashing he gave Carrie and the CIA during the committee proceedings and beyond. Quinn is a boss but needs something more to do and Adal is still underutilized.

The Brody family were shit. Dana had a few scenes here and there where she was able to show off her skills but for the most part her story was boring and went nowhere.

Really.. the twist with Saul/Carrie killed the season. What a fucking disaster that was. It was way too reliant on a TON of shit going right.. I like that later in the season Saul says "listen, I know there's a lot of moving parts but.."  Um, no shit! There are a MILLION moving parts! The shit with Brody in South America was okay. I don't know how to react to his death. I kinda liked Brody but I knew he had to go. However, I feel like maybe the show itself has to go. It was so promising but ended up being so damn disappointing. It'd be best to kill it but they won't as viewership is still solid..

• 7 months later...