DVDVR Message Board

When the show is just Carrie, it's good.

When the show is just Brody, it's good.

When the show is Carrie and Brody, it's kinda meh.

Whenever Brody's family is around, IT STINKS. Saul, Predator Drone strike these motherfuckers for me, will ya?

Can we at least mention the implausibility of Jessica searching out Carrie for help finding Dana? In what universe does that happen?

I also love how the show undermines Saul. On the goose hunt, his whole point is that spying isn't about sitting back, waiting for the bad guy to poke his head out, and then blowing it off. It doesn't work that way, he says. And yet, on HOMELAND, it consistently works that way. The world's most wanted terrorists are constantly poking their heads up, right in our backyard.

Can we at least mention the implausibility of Jessica searching out Carrie for help finding Dana? In what universe does that happen?

Yeah, they tried to explain that with Jessica saying "You were the one trying to warn me about Brody", but that wasn't very convincing.  Jessica must know that Carrie was the agent Saul was talking about at the Senate hearing, so she's going to this disgraced bipolar spy for help?  The one who was right that Brody was dangerous, but was also screwing him?

Also, did that pay off in any way?  Was it that Carrie pressured the agent (which was funny: Carrie, the CIA with the most ruined reputation in the agency, is going to ruin some guy's reputation), who then put out that Dana was missing to the media, which led to Dana finding out about her boyfriend's past (since she happened to be in the gas station at the right moment, though admittedly that kind of story would legitimately be all over cable news nonstop), which led to Dana turning herself in? 

The one good thing I can say about that bit is that at least (so far) the boyfriend didn't turn out to be a crazy killer.  They sort of hinted that he was going to suicide pact her with the near head-on collision, but never really went down that road.  But I'm damning with faint praise at this point.

And apparently we have an acting CIA Director who is completely blindsided by the announcement of who is getting nominated to the permanent post. 

In case you guys were curious, the Senator/NEW CIA Director is definitely an evil guy because he shot that bird. I wasn't sure of he was a villain until that point but shooting the bird made it clear.

I hate this show and hate myself for not having the ability to just drop it.

Beyond being a terrible soap opera development that nobody cares about, Carrie being pregnant is yet another nonsensical twist. For one thing, psychiatric hospitals administer pregnancy tests to all female patients upon admission, because, you know, pumping pregnant women full of psychotropic medicaitons is generally not such a good idea.

So either they committed her to the worst psychiatric hopsital in the US, or Carrie was like, "Nah, it's cool. Go ahead and juice me up. See, I'm running this elaborate gambit on an Iranian terrorist that has about a 1% chance of working, and I am absolutely willing to risk my baby suffering a birth defect. Totallly worth it."

Yeah, good point about Dar Adal.  Besides the character, they haven't given F. Murray Abraham much to sink his teeth into.  Why cast a name if you're doing this little with him?  You'd certainly think that will change, but so far it's been pretty weak.

ETA: And it sucks we're getting more of Virgil's brother instead of Virgil.

WHO THE BABY DADDY?!? What a revolting development this is. Dana Brody does not need the drama of a new half sibling in her life! I feel like there are so many ways they could have taken the Brody family post season 2. That story could not be going worse.

And what a disappointing addition to the show Dar Adal has been. He was introduced last season as this shadowy, vaguely sinister character, but it turns out, he's just another sniveling bureaucrat.

These Homeland villains leave a lot to be desired.  You've got Abu Nazir whose master plan involved flying into the US and hiding in an abandoned warehouse and apparently just hoping for the best at that point, and now you have Dar Adal who went from badass to pussy in about ten seconds as soon as Carrie fought back.  Makes the U.S. look like a bunch of incompetent jerks if they're so incapable of capturing these Level 1 bosses.

I can also only assume Dar's ex wife was deaf since she was completely oblivious to her daughter-in-law being SHOT IN THE HEAD (contrary to popular belief, a silencer doesn't literally silence a bullet, it barely muffles it) and then didn't seem to mind when her ex-husband's voice was loudly talking to her grandson. 

On the bright side, at least Quinn was in the room with a child and didn't immediately murder it.

Very very very talk heavy episode of Homeland, but it was my favorite of the season, with the senator getting locked in the room being an all-time favorite moment on Homeland. It still feels like the show wants to paint Saul as the big bad, but they just can't pull the trigger on it.

See, had they killed Brody, you would have had an even greater emotional impact and still had this season. Although it does seem like they're going in the direction of clearing Brody's name and then the next season will be about saving Brody.

I don't get the Saul big bad feel anymore. I think they've realized that he's the most likable character on the show and if they turned him, a lot of people would just give up since he's the main reason episodes are even still somewhat enjoyable.