DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 28, LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN! 7/14-8/12

Raziel

I'm getting frustrated with how formulaic Jay's low blows are.   I'd like to see him try some different forms of cheating, such as stealing pins by feet on the ropes.  I think this is why Jay's thing is getting redundant, he hasn't gotten any variety to a good formula yet and he needs some.  Gedo needs to lock Jay up with some of his old Larry Zybisco tapes.

I'm sure Kenny's making seven figures in NJPW, when you get to that point you can worry about other things.

• Like 1

Having tried to talk myself into some reason for the low blow spamming, because New Japan tends to have reasons, even if they're bad ones: I wonder if the idea behind it is that: A) No one will cheer such a tactic, and they want to hold off on him becoming a cool/workratey tweener for as long as possible; B) It suggests a sort of casual cruelty beyond seeking to just win matches. Like, he can beat Hangman Page without such tactics, surely--we've seen him do so--but he does it anyway, because he's a petulant brat who just thinks it's fun (and it denies us better matches, which we would ultimately come to respect and enjoy him for delivering).

So I... get it? I think? But I'm not enjoying it being deployed what feels like every other day, even with my most generous meta-narrative seeking goggles on.

I think MiSu is mathematically fucked right now if you look at his upcoming opponents and Tanahashi's, who already beat MiSu and would win the tiebreaker anyway

:(

Unless they have him go over Okada.  Since the last night is Okada/Tanahashi, that's not happening

18 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm getting frustrated with how formulaic Jay's low blows are.   I'd like to see him try some different forms of cheating, such as stealing pins by feet on the ropes.  I think this is why Jay's thing is getting redundant, he hasn't gotten any variety to a good formula yet and he needs some.  Gedo needs to lock Jay up with some of his old Larry Zybisco tapes.

To be fair to Jay, a lot of the redundancy may be due to the compressed G1 schedule.  Before he'd only have a couple singles matches a tour, now he's got nine featured ones over the course of a few weeks.  I could see him either not wanting to burn through a lot of things over such a short period of time or simply not being used to having to figure out that many unique twists and turns so quickly.

Watched the Ibushi/Ishii match because 1. y'all pimped it and 2., well, it's probably my two favorite guys in NJ right now. Whatever accusations are gonna be thrown at it are going to be true, and whatever praise given to it is going to be the same. Ibushi turning into Tenryu is weird but fitting.

8 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

there's a part of me that thinks Suzuki might go over or at least get ANOTHER draw.

Last two Okada's matches against Suzuki ended with draws. I think it is about time Okada overcomes that hurdle.

And it is similar situation with Tanahashi, if I'm not mistaken all of their G1 (all 2) matches so far have ended with draws. Might create scenario where draw is enough for Tanahashi to win the block, but Okada finally manages to beat old ace in under 30 minutes.

DAY 12 INSTANT REACTION

TAMA-ISHII Mr. Bad Match vs. Mr. Good Match, whose style will win out? This reminded me a lot of an Ishii NEVER defence (loss) against Yujiro a few years ago where a template Ishii match was interrupted by various shenanigans. At times it seemed to add and others it took away. I did enjoy this and thought even Tama did some good stuff too. It's interesting that Tama has ditched some of the things that were good about him, like the slithering about. ***1/4

JUICE-SANADA Juice's Bret Hart routine on the entrance was funny here ahead of a match that seemed like a six establishing minutes ahead of a six minute attempt to do finishers, either their own or the opponent's, whichever is more convenient. Sometimes this works but at times it felt like they were grasping for ideas. Some good stuff, some only okay, and the finish felt a little flat. **3/4

NAITO-YANO I get the sense Naito enjoys working Yano and this had a joyful feel, with Yano doing a couple of actual moves and some slightly novel variations on his shtick. **3/4

OMEGA-SABRE I quite like TAKA's opening speeches more than anyone else's (spare me, Tanga Loa) because whilst ZSJ is a heel, it's basically saying 'come and have a go'. Which is a pretty authentic sentiment for a fighter. Anyway, whilst I don't buy storyline Omega 'outwrestling' Sabre any more than I did when knee surgery Austin did it to Benoit, the mesh of styles made for a good match. Some complaints (Sabre has position for a heel hook on the ramp, gives it up to do an STF, come ONNNNN) but a good little match based around countering offensive strikes into submissions, very Fujiwara, and the ending was novel. ***3/4

IBUSHI-GOTO two of the best of the G1 so far put in a clear position to shine and it was taken. Not a total classic, but a worthy main event. Goto played classically heelish, slowing it down, cranking in rest holds and looking smug, while hometown hero Ibushi brought fire and fury. A similar issue to Juice-SANADA in the constant attempt to go for a finisher started to look a bit silly, but they worked hard and well together. ****1/4

noted the commentator use the phrase ZENSHO-YUSHO during Omega's entrance, which as any sumo fan knows means UNBEATEN CHAMPIONSHIP. maybe they're putting this over just because it is kayfabe on the table or whether they're booking toward it. I can see a situation where Omega wins the G1 and only loses to Ibushi, setting up that match at the Dome, and giving Omega time to heal his heel so he can feel whether he is heel or face. (?)

• Like 3

Jay continues to be entertaining in tag matches and how he interacts with other Chaos members.

As expected Ishii had first not-great match. It was one of the better BCOGz matches I'd say, but nothing really worth caring about. Naito/Tama is still Tama's best match due to Naito's slowest Destino ever.

Juice/Sanada was weird to me. As many people predicted, whole hand thing finally was resolved and Juice started picking up the wins, but what was with all those reversals and finisher stealing? They looked cool, but it felt like I missing something here? Do they have some history that I forgot about? Usually we see such things between established rivals and not in a random G1 match. Also, it might be just this crowd, but it looked like nobody really cared that Juice finally started using his hand. Like sure, they chanted Juice when he started doing hand motion, but I think nobody reacted when he was removing bindings from his hand. Basically where I'm going is that maybe this whole hand thing didn't really work outside of G1 Special match.

Naito managed to do big bumps in Yano match and in return Yano managed to take better Destino than Jericho. Also, Yano rolling into the ring with guard rail (and whole count out sequence) was top stuff.

Was it just me or Omega gave way less to Zack than other big NJPW names? Which was a bit weird considering that he won anyway. But thinking about it more, it sometimes looks like Omega wants to get his shit in regardless of the match/context. Either way match was enjoyable, but at the same time I don't think there was anything special between them (argument could be made that this wasn't a full match, but Zack/Sanada wasn't full match either and it rocked) and I'm not sure if I would be very interesting in seeing another match between them. Well obviously I wouldn't complain, but another match with Tanahashi, Ibushi, Naito, Ishii and Sanada should take priority because those tend to be pretty fucking great. Oh, one more thing, I'm pretty bad at identifying submission moves, but did Omega get out of that submission of doom that killed everyone in NJ Cup and that wasn't even used in Okada's title defence?

Goto/Ibushi was what could be expected, lesser version of Ibushi/Ishii and with less no selling from Ibushi (which is actually good in my book) and that still makes it pretty good match. And I saw it pointed out on twitter how Goto went for GTR multiple times and was countered each time which makes him look bad. I don't think that it is bad that wrestlers go for their finisher multiple times and get countered, but counters to GTR look kinda like shit.

But I'm not sure about booking decisions here. First of all Ibushi 100% needs to beat Naito so next main event of B Block doesn't really have much drama.

I also think that this kinda killed Zack's momentum. By that I mean that he got big push with NJ Cup and even pinned Okada without any bullshit in UK, but it looks like he is going to end this G1 with not that many points and no wins over bigger names. Like sure, he might get a title shot against Goto or Juice, but I think everyone was expecting something more after strong spring. Anyway, point is that he is getting less than he did last year, victory over Tanahashi and IC title shot was pretty big thing compared to what he is likely to get now. Alternatively he can pick up another win over Naito, but then they'd just switch places with obvious question being "what Naito has done in 2018?".

• Like 2

Kenny/ZSJ was weird, insofar as it left a strong "they have more/better in them" impression, but, since Kenny won, there's no immediate impetus for that to happen. Sabre's also maybe the one guy who is less protected by losing to a flash pin than he would be just getting killed by a finisher. Although, I get that Kenny didn't want to give him his leg (via v-trigger) or back (via the OWA), since both had repeatedly backfired. So I guess if Omega's winning, that's a fine way to go about doing it; and he was mostly schooled by Sabre's submissions after the opening gambit. (Although I think @Archibald was right, that he escaped from Orienteering with Napalm Death at the end, which probably should have been a bigger deal or just not happened.) Of course, Kenny winning is also a bit... well, I feel like Ishii has to beat him, now. They need a title challenge, and it ain't gonna be Yano (or is it!?), and I can't imagine we go into the final night with Ibushi mathematically eliminated. So I'm leaving the match more hyped for Omega/Ishii and Ibushi/Naito, which is fine, because the G1 always has a "next show" coming right up. But having said all that, this was still good. Kenny sold the knee by pausing before spots, and Sabre took advantage of those openings; Kenny was still able to overpower Sabre, until he switched focus to the arm more; then the finish. It all worked well, even if it was (for future reasons or not) probably 10-15 minutes short of something great.

They left the big match finishing run fireworks for Ibushi/Goto, in which they were deployed well--although, if I'm gonna nitpick, Ibushi suddenly being revived by every GTR attempt would be the thing. But I'm not gonna nitpick, because I really liked basically everything else, including Ibushi's glassy-eyed dead-fish selling. I loved Goto starting the match by daring the crowd to hate him for rest-holding their hometown hero. I wish they had! Some old-school Goto hate would have really elevated this. But we still got Ibushi firing up with his flips and strikes, then building towards them hitting one another a bunch (though they both seemed--probably wisely--to decide it was ok to pull the forearm shots a bit) and throwing bombs. And they're both really good in that setting. Ibushi deploying the Bomaye as he really and truly discovers his vicious weirdo streak is a super on-the-head reference, given his noted fandom and WK history, but I love stuff like that.

Being honest, I skipped Ishii/Tama, and Juice/SANADA was a bit odd, for the reasons already noted. Naito/Yano was fun as hell, though

• Like 3

I'm going to procalm Tama dead in the water.  The crowd was solidly behind Ishii overcoming all the stuff kicking out, but when that hand hit 3 after the Gun Stun, they went dead silent.  No noise, no nothing, just dead silent.  That's the absence of heat.  Which is a bit of a shame, because Tonga actually showed up this match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I'm going to procalm Tama dead in the water.  The crowd was solidly behind Ishii overcoming all the stuff kicking out, but when that hand hit 3 after the Gun Stun, they went dead silent.  No noise, no nothing, just dead silent.  That's the absence of heat.  Which is a bit of a shame, because Tonga actually showed up this match.

yeah, his sparse theme tune really shows up how utterly deathly the crowds are for him

Loved the two final matches. Yeah, Kenny and Zack have a better match between them but I think Zack attacking the heel and torturing Omega make this a pyrrhic victory for Kenny and could set up his one or two losses. They followed through on the athlete vs technician premise very well. 

Goto's 36 GTR attempts had me clenching every time, with each time intensifying said clinches. I also realized during this match if Ibushi beats Naito, then that's Naito all but eliminated because the Golden Lovers would have the tiebreakers. Then I thought what if Naito and Ibushi go 30? Then Omega would have to lose to both Yano and Ishii to keep things interesting. Point is I'm starting to get that sinking feeling that Kota isn't winning the block but instead playing spoiler. :(

I feel like Omega loses to either Ishii or Yano (yes please) and Ibushi beats Naito and Tama Tonga, who probably throws everything away with a DQ.

Then if Kota beats Kenny they're tied and he wins the tiebreaker.  Kind of cool that you could plug Naito into that exact same scenario pretty much and have it make sense and work, but Kota and Kenny are the ones wrestling the last night of their block.

But I suck at math and can be fucking this all up

My solace--as someone who thinks/hopes Ibushi will win--is that he could only spoil things in Naito's favor, and I seriously doubt they go back to Naito/Okada so soon, or even Naito/Tana. The latter feels settled; the former feels like it needs more build and another Tokyo Dome.

• Like 1

This is true and what the voice in the back of my mind was saying. But I could see a Naito vs. White final though. Good on Gedo, despite some issues, booking a captivating home stretch. 

I'm not sure if it is going to be this complicated, there is very straightforward scenario:

Ibushi beats Naito and Tama, Ishii beats Omega and Omega beats Yano. Last day winner of Omega/Ibushi wins the block, in case of draw Omega wins. Ibushi wins and goes to the finals.

G1 final Okada/Ibushi, match that was teased a lot since NJ Cup. Okada wins.

KoPW: Okada gets revenge on White, Omega beats Ishii and we got our WK main event.

that seems completely plausible. when you reverse engineer every output from previous G1s they make perfect sense and you kick yourself for not seeing it.

I do wonder about going Okada-Omega V though. Okada winning at the Dome would be good for the whole 'challenger never wins' thing, whilst Omega would look strong with another win and a defence, but does put him right above Okada, who will have failed to get anything other than a roll-up on him for 4 matches.

Whilst it would be a great match and a draw, to me, a person who has only ever booked backyard wrestling, it feels like a creative dead end.

• Thanks 1

the DAVEs are in for the last few days

DAY 8: Goto-Yano 2, Naito-Tama 3.5, Sabre-Ishii 4.5, Omega-Juice 4.25, SANADA-Ibushi 4.75
DAY 9: Suzuki-Elgin 3, EVIL-Page 3.75, Fale-White 1.5, Tanahashi-Makabe 3.25, Okada-Yoshi 4.5
DAY 10: Sabre-Tama 1.25, Juice-Yano 1.75, Ibushi-Ishii 4.75, Naito-Goto 3.5, Omega-SANADA 4.75
DAY 11: Fale-Makabe 0.75, White-Page 3.25, Suzuki-EVIL 3.5, Tanahashi-Yoshi 3.75, Okada-Elgin 4.5
DAY 12: Tama-Ishii 3, Juice-SANADA 3.5, Naito-Yano 2.5, Omega-Sabre 4.5, Ibushi-Goto 4.5

in 2013/2014 me and Dave would never be more than a quarter-star away from each other but in the last few years we're barely hitting the same thing!

• Haha 1

Interesting thing I noticed on twitter. August 8th is 30th anniversary of Inoki/Fujinami draw and as usual G1 show is going to happen in the same building. Last year Okada/Suzuki had a draw there, but I think that they haven't booked more draws there so its not like it has to happen, but main event of the upcoming August 8th show is Naito/Sanada. It is highly likely that they booked a draw last year only because Suzuki has connection with that event (was working opening match) and he can easily play tribute to Inoki. On the other hand this is 30th anniversary so doing something special might make sense and well, Naito/Sanada going 30min draw would be weird enough, thou neither man really has a connection with Inoki or Fujinami so maybe I'm just making shit up here for no reason.