DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

The twist in Hancock ruined what was a serviceable/boring movie. I, Robot I actually like quite a bit. MiB 3 I like quite a bit as well. It's a little overly sentimental, but I thought it was pretty good. As good as the first and way better than the second.

WWW though, wow, that's a pretty horrible movie. It's even worse after hearing Kevin Smith talk about his time meeting with Jon Peters and seeing Peters' coke fueled ideas pop up in WWW.

And I Am Legend fulfills the "if it's on TV I probably won't change the channel and it's ok enough to leave on in the background" role. It's not a very good movie, the entire premise is thrown out the window midway through, and he could have left with the woman and her kid, but chooses to blow himself up instead. FFS, he could have still pulled the pin on the grenade, left it there, and still dashed out with the woman and her kid. Same effect and now humanity has a better chance of winning the war because they have the most brilliant scientist in the world with them.

Those first few scenes of Hancock promise a really great movie that never surfaces.  A surly, alcoholic, total fuck-up with Superman powers who tries to do the right thing?  Yeah, I want to see that.

20 minutes in, and they are doing stupid stuff like cleaning him up and shit and the rest of the movie ranges from dull to awful.

I should clarify: WWW is also up there with the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. MiB2 was just simply bad. MiB3 was also borderline very good until

Kay adopted Jay

Terrible ending.

I'd go so far as to say the first MiB is a future classic, neither of the sequels touches it. I mean, come on.

Marbles~!

I should clarify: WWW is also up there with the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. MiB2 was just simply bad. MiB3 was also borderline very good until

Kay adopted Jay

Terrible ending.

I'd go so far as to say the first MiB is a future classic, neither of the sequels touches it. I mean, come on.

Marbles~!

Oh shit, I totally forgot about the thing in your first spoiler, maybe because I blocked it from memory. I may have to reconsider how I feel about MiB3.

Well put, but the point of the matter is the quality of the work put into the performances each actor gives and nothing Will Smith has done is as good of a job that Jamie Foxx did transforming himself into Ray Charles. It doesn't mean Will Smith is a bad actor, but Jamie Foxx isn't a bad actor as well. In fact, I'd say that Foxx does a better job with more dramatic roles, while Smith has the charm and charisma to do a better job at pulling off bigger blockbuster type movies.

Well put, but the point of the matter is the quality of the work put into the performances each actor gives and nothing Will Smith has done is as good of a job that Jamie Foxx did transforming himself into Ray Charles. It doesn't mean Will Smith is a bad actor, but Jamie Foxx isn't a bad actor as well. In fact, I'd say that Foxx does a better job with more dramatic roles, while Smith has the charm and charisma to do a better job at pulling off bigger blockbuster type movies.

Jamie Foxx has one good role ever (and I haven't seen it so I won't comment other than to say I haven't seen it because 2 hours of Jamie Foxx oscar pandering is too much), Will Smith was the biggest star in Hollywood until he stopped trying. If it's acting vs acting, well take Ray out and you've got Stealth, The Kingdom and Any Given Sunday vs any Will Smith movie you want. And you can't tell me Smith is the problem with WWW (a movie I love) or whatever other nonsense opinions you have.

And you can't tell me Smith is the problem with WWW (a movie I love) or whatever other nonsense opinions you have.

Fucking hilarious. And for shits and giggles, here's a list of watchable movies Jamie Foxx has a sizable role and does a good job in:

Ray

Jarhead

Collateral

Any Given Sunday

Miami Vice

The Kingdom

Law Abiding Citizen

Django Unchained

Of those, he's acting his ass off in Ray, Jarhead, Collateral, and Django.

I can't comment on The Kingdom or even White House Down because I haven't seen either, but I heard The Kingdom is boring and WHD is dumb, goofy fun.

And you can't tell me Smith is the problem with WWW (a movie I love) or whatever other nonsense opinions you have.

Fucking hilarious. And for shits and giggles, here's a list of watchable movies Jamie Foxx has a sizable role and does a good job in:

Ray

Jarhead

Collateral

Any Given Sunday

Miami Vice

The Kingdom

Law Abiding Citizen

Django Unchained

Of those, he's acting his ass off in Ray, Jarhead, Collateral, and Django.

I can't comment on The Kingdom or even White House Down because I haven't seen either, but I heard The Kingdom is boring and WHD is dumb, goofy fun.

He's terrible in all those movies. Especially Django, where you can tell it's an effort for him to try and play a serious role. LAC was a top movie that he did his best to ruin, Miami Vice was fucking terrible. Collateral was shit and Any Given Sunday was as good as he was terrible. THEY SAID I COULDN'T BE A QUARTERBACK. BECAUSE I WAS BLACK. DURRR.

The part needed someone understated. Will Smith himself said he didn't take the part because he didn't feel he would be the lead and wouldn't be the one to take down the bad guy. Would you really want Will Smith goofing around in scenes where Django has to beg Big John to not whip Brunhilda, or when he's actually able to dress himself in clothes he picks out? Part of the charm of the latter scene I mentioned is that up until that point, Django is a confused former slave and is getting used to being free, so while he can put on flashy clothes, it doesn't quite work yet since he isn't completely comfortable in his shoes. Will Smith has way too much charm for moments like that. I think he would have been fine, but I'm completely happy with what we got in Django and think Foxx played the part very well.

The part needed someone understated. Will Smith himself said he didn't take the part because he didn't feel he would be the lead and wouldn't be the one to take down the bad guy. Would you really want Will Smith goofing around in scenes where Django has to beg Big John to not whip Brunhilda, or when he's actually able to dress himself in clothes he picks out? Part of the charm of the latter scene I mentioned is that up until that point, Django is a confused former slave and is getting used to being free, so while he can put on flashy clothes, it doesn't quite work yet since he isn't completely comfortable in his shoes. Will Smith has way too much charm for moments like that. I think he would have been fine, but I'm completely happy with what we got in Django and think Foxx played the part very well.

You seriously think Will Smith would be cracking jokes throughout Django?