DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not sure if this goes here or not, but Curt Schilling announced he has cancer. I have no clue what type, but even though I don't like the guy it's still shitty.

Even though I'm kind of showing my ass in the basketball league I'd like to get involved in a second fantasy baseball league I actually care about. Is there something existing? I wouldn't mind going 16 teams if there is the interest.

Yeah, I'll be putting the call out in a week or two. I save a spot for you, Dank.

Since I'll have some extra time, no thanks to my "wife," I'm up for some fantasy baseball. I actually have time for it since the majority of my time isn't spent trying to save my marriage anymore.

NOT BUSTER OLNEY (@TRIPPINGOLNEY) tweeted at 3:59 PM on Thu, Feb 06, 2014:
MARLINS SIGN CARLOS MARMOL. SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE POOR FISH TANK BEHIND HOME PLATE THAT WILL SURELY BE TOTALED WHEN HE PITCHES.
(https://twitter.com/TRIPPINGOLNEY/status/431547607567982593)

• Like 1

I'm so happy he'll never be the Cubs closer ever again. I can't think of any other closer in the majors where just about every batter figured out "Oh, he can't hit the strike zone, so why get fooled by his slider?"

Having a great closer is both a blessing and a curse. The former, well it's obvious why. The latter? Well...when they're young, like Mr. Kimbrel, they'll get paid way too much money once they hit arb. Kimbrel is going to make somewhere between 6.5 and 9 million this year in his FIRST YEAR of arb. Barring a massive decline or injury, he's going to make eight figures next year for 65 innings of work.

So....who wants to trade some high ceiling, young position players for the best closer in baseball?

Come on, Craig.  Give us one more.  For old time's sake.

Too exhausted for it, but I will say this: For a time, Marmol had some of the filthiest fucking sliders I've ever seen anyone throw in the majors. His stuff was suuuuuuuuuuuuper electric for three, maybe four seasons, and then he lost a bit of his edge while the rest of the league finally caught it. I mean, if you go back to that time, Marmol was drawing comparisons to Mariano as far as being a dominant closer goes.

That's baseball though, and that's why I love it, whether if it's good or bad.