DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Re: Woodley/Till and Covington being stripped once UFC 228 happens

Colby turned down the fight w/ Tyron and I'm assuming it's because he just had a nasal procedure. Supposedly, Colby wanted to fight Woodley in NYC. Woodley was ready to go and Till was ready to go. 

17 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I will never read DWTNCS as anything other than Dancing With The Night Contender Stars.

BTW Nick Newell is fighting for a UFC contract tonight on this week's edition in the featured bout.

I think Felder is correct that some of these dudes who won tonight should be getting developmental contracts. For example, Jim Crute looks a like a decent prospect but I don't know how well he looks against the current 205 crop. Thin division or not. James Vick's training partner looked the best through four fights and he went to a decision. Stipe's training partner looks Bellator HW division ready more than UFC ready. Chase Hooper won but he is far from UFC ready.

Nick Newell...well he tried. He lost a UD to Alex Munoz, who is a wrestling coach at Team Alpha Male. Munoz just flooded him with activity from the get go.

Sodiq, the guy I mentioned who trains with James Vick, has a chance of doing well. Crute probably should have gotten a developmental deal, but I guess it makes it tough since the only reason he got this fight was an AirAsia sponsorship. Jeff Hughes just seems like HW cannon fodder. I did see his LFA fight with Maurice Greene. It was just a slow, grinding regional heavyweight fight. It was also a title fight so you got ten more minutes of it. But hey, he trains with Stipe and apparently we need to fill the roster void Roy Nelson left.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: Woodley/Till and Covington being stripped once UFC 228 happens

Colby turned down the fight w/ Tyron and I'm assuming it's because he just had a nasal procedure. Supposedly, Colby wanted to fight Woodley in NYC. Woodley was ready to go and Till was ready to go. 

BTW Nick Newell is fighting for a UFC contract tonight on this week's edition in the featured bout.

Why not wait until both of your champions were ready to go, otherwise what is the point of creating a pointless ridiculous interim title? And then dissolving it less than a month after creating it! 

Very, very, very light slap on the wrist for Conor

Conor McGregor’s UFC 223 courtroom battle has come to an end.

The former featherweight and lightweight UFC champion agreed to a plea deal at a hearing at Kings County Courthouse in Brooklyn, New York on Thursday which saw all felony counts against the popular fighter dismissed. Per the terms of the plea deal, McGregor pled guilty to one count of disorderly conduct and will be forced to undergo five days of community service, 1-3 days of an anger management evaluation, and will be required to pay restitution for the damage he inflicted on a UFC fighter bus during UFC 223 fight week. Three orders of protections were also served against McGregor, including two by UFC fighters Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa. McGregor will not be permitted near them until July 2020.

McGregor’s agreement to the plea deal will not affect McGregor’s travel visa, and means “The Notorious” will receive no jail time and will not have a criminal record.

McGregor, 30, incited a melee on April 5 when he and his entourage stormed into Brooklyn’s Barclays Center in a wild scene following UFC 223’s media day and attacked the UFC fighter bus carrying lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. The incident culminated in an infamous sequence that saw McGregor hurl a dolly through a bus window, which ultimately left several fighters shaken up and forced UFC contenders Chiesa and Borg to withdraw from their respective UFC 223 fights as a result of injuries suffered from the broken glass. Chiesa recently told ESPN that “the wheels are in motion” for him to take legal action against McGregor.

McGregor’s teammate Artem Lobov was also involved in the melee and was subsequently pulled from his UFC 223 scheduled bout against Alex Caceres.

McGregor and teammate Cian Cowley turned themselves into the New York Police Department on the night of the incident and were released on $50,000 and $25,000 bond, respectively. McGregor faced a potential 12 criminal charges for his role in the melee. Both men informed the court in a June 14 hearing that they planned to negotiate a plea deal.

Cowley also pled guilty to one count of disorderly conduct on Thursday.

With McGregor’s legal issues now resolved, the road toward a UFC return appears clear. UFC president Dana White has repeatedly stated over recent months that the promotion would not move forward with its former two-division champion hanging in legal limbo. With that out of the way, a blockbuster title matchup against Nurmagomedov could very well be the next step, potentially on Nov. 3 at UFC 230 at New York’s Madison Square Garden, or on Dec. 29 for the promotion’s year-end Las Vegas show, UFC 232. A Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor matchup would likely be one of the highest-selling MMA fights of all-time.

McGregor (21-3) has not competed in MMA since defeating Eddie Alvarez via second-round TKO at UFC 205 in Nov. 2016 to become the first-ever UFC champion to simultaneously hold titles in two different divisions. Altogether, the Irishman holds a 9-1 Octagon record and carries a slew of notable victories over the likes of Jose Aldo, Max Holloway, Nate Diaz, Dustin Poirier, and Chad Mendes, among others.

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

News breaking that BT Sports won't be renewing with UFC in the UK, ends in early December. UFC went from Sky Sports to Bravo, Setanta Sports, BT Sports and now without a home come December.

It appears that UFC is already close to a signing a deal with Eleven Sports, who just hired the former UFC EMEA marketing director Scott Fenton, for their deal to start in 2019.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It appears that UFC is already close to a signing a deal with Eleven Sports, who just hired the former UFC EMEA marketing director Scott Fenton, for their deal to start in 2019.

Cheers. First I've heard of Eleven Sports.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That is a great fight, and the exact type of fight that Poirier historically loses.  Part of me thinks that it is the exact right fight at this point, but also a huge risk because he has to be next in line for a title shot after Khabib...and Tony...and maybe Kevin Lee.  Lightweight is a huge shitshow.  If Conor beats Khabib and Diaz beats Poirier, all these dudes who have been kicking ass for the last 2+ years are going to get skipped over...again.

At some point these long ass layoffs are going to hurt Nate. Poirier has had six fights while this dude has been sitting at home. I would say that Nate's advantage is that Dustin has had plenty of wars in that time but Nate is going to be an old thirty three year old most likely.

With that said, I would have no problem with Nate getting a title shot if he beat Poirier and getting Conor if Khabib somehow lost to McGregor. You know why? That's a lot of shit swinging a certain way and falling into place including McGregor staying sane for consecutive months. If that's the fate of the lightweight divison, then so be it. As it stands now, I don't see it happening that way.

So based on rumors and various reports in addition to the presser:

UFC Fight Night Lincoln 8/25: Gaethje vs. Vick, Moraga vs. Deiveson Figueiredo, Anders vs. Tim Williams, Johnson vs. Fili, Gall vs. George Sullivan, Hill vs. Casey

UFC 228 in Dallas 9/8: Woodley vs. Till, Montano vs. V. Shevchenko, Rodriguez vs. Magomedsharipov, J. Rivera vs. Dodson, "Bate Estaca" vs. Kowalkiewicz, Sterling vs. Stamann, Esparza vs. Suarez (prelim)

UFC Fight Night Moscow 9/15: Hunt vs. Oleinik, Arlovski vs. Abdurakhimov, Jotko vs. Yandiev (debut), Yan vs. Silva de Andrade, T. Alves vs. Kunchenko (debut), Taisumov vs. Des Green, Krylov vs. Blachowicz

UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo 9/22: Manuwa vs. Teixeira, "Cowboy" Oliveira vs. Magny, Muhammad vs. "Zaleski" dos Santos, Alvey vs. "Minotoro" Nogueira, Leites vs. Lombard, "Cara do Sapato" vs. Theodorou, Barao vs. Ewell (debut), Chambers vs. "Livinha" Souza (debut/prelim), Dunham vs. "Massaranduba" (prelim), Vieira vs. Evinger (prelim)

UFC 229 in Las Vegas 10/6: K. Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor, S. Pettis vs. "Formiga"

UFC Fight Night Moncton 10/27: Oezdemir vs. A. Smith, Bhullar vs. Golm

UFC 230 in NYC 11/3: Poirier vs. Nate Diaz, "Jacare" Souza vs. Branch, Rockhold vs. Weidman, Romero vs. "Borrachinha", Brunson vs. Adesanya

UFC Fight Night Denver aka the 25th Anniversary card 11/10: Edgar vs."Korean Zombie", Cerrone vs. Perry

The only rumored bouts after the 25th anniversary card are Cyborg vs. Nunes at UFC 232 on 12/29 and where Whittaker vs. Gastelum lands pending Whittaker's health. Nothing official for Buenos Aires (guessing they''re waiting for Ponzinibbio to get healthy), China, the TUF 28 Finale, Adelaide, UFC 231, the UFC on Fox series finale in Milwaukee, or UFC 232.