DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

The graphic took a second to load, and for that second I somehow convinced myself Penn was fighting Uriah Hall. That wouldn't be a very good idea for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

UFC struggling for a UFC 230 main event at MSG? UFC 232 has and that's the  last show of 2018.

Assuming since the presser is at Radio City Music Hall, the 230 main event will be made official then.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

UFC struggling for a UFC 230 main event at MSG? UFC 232 has a main event and that's the last show of 2018.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Assuming since the presser is at Radio City Music Hall, the 230 main event will be made official then.

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC-230

Bottom right of the image, Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk  is listed. That's anticlimactic. Thug Rose beat her ass both times. In the first fight as a heavy underdog, Thug Rose knocked her down twice and Joanna Champion tapped out to strikes.

Might it be a mistake on the website?

Kid was easily one of my favorite fighters from the heyday of Shooto and K-1 Hero''s. His life inside and outside of fighting reminds me a lot of Johnny Tapia. And just like Tapia, he brought attention to weight classes that I don't think would have as much notoriety otherwise when no American organization really wanted recognize fighters below 185-190 pounds. Truthfully, he could have and probably should have fought as low as 115 and as high as 125. Yet, he was talented enough to win at higher weights due to natural talent. In addition, even though you had the BJ Penns, Rumino Satos, Lion Takeshis, Mamoru Yamaguchis, BJ Kojimas, and Pequeno Nogueiras of the world at that time, there had to be a rebel without a cause type character to galvanize a cult section of (mostly American) MMA fans just so it wasn't this vanilla, look-at-how-awesome-he-is description you could put on every faceless fighter with a gaudy record. If I would have shown you a highlight reel for Krazy Horse Charles Bennett ten plus years ago, that's all you would have needed to know who he is. The same certainly goes for Kid Yamamoto.

A running joke between sprewellrimz and myself that kinda epitomizes Kid, the Killer/Krazy Bee gym, and his aura and attitude towards fighting clearly anchored in Yakuza culture and his time growing up in America is when he first signed with UFC and appearing in one of the earlier Embedded episodes. He just casually strolls up to Dana White backstage at some event with teammate Kotetsu Boku and nonchalantly introduces him to Dana with, "This Boku."  No context to who Kotetsu Boku was or what weight class he was in or shilling to get him a job in the UFC like a bunch of fighters due to today for their homies. He just boldly introduced him to the most powerful MMA promoter like he was Cher, Prince, and Beyonce and unapologetically expected Dana to know who he was. 

Kid being such a star in Japan and bringing in monster TV ratings over there kinda gave personality to Japanese fighters outside of the stereotypical Bushido thing where a bunch of undersized fighters get beat up by larger foreigners or take more damage than they need to. Between knocking out Royler Gracie and breaking Miyata's jaw in under 5 seconds with a flying knee, he seemed like liquid dynamite that could go off at any moment. You can never really replicate that now when fans from the get-go expect you to already be a finished product in combat sports and insanely dynamic everywhere. Hence, why folks like myself and other MMA fans can be very jaded. If we get another Kid Yamamoto who has the wrestling pedigree, the natural power in his hands, and who aesthetically looks like he doesn't give a shit about what others think about him, we should consider ourselves fortunate to watch that person pursue their craft. RIP KID

• Like 4

I'm trying to find a parallel for Kid Yamamoto outside of MMA.  Kid was a dude that most of us only saw in gifs and grainy Realplayer clips, but he was a legitimate MMA star.  I can't think of another performer who we actually saw less of, but respected more than Kid Yamamoto.  The closest thing I could think of was maybe Snoop Dogg after The Chronic, but before Doggystyle.  Snoop had more buzz than any rapper I can remember, but we heard far more Snoop than we saw Kid Yamamoto.  It really sucks that his UFC career didn't reach everyone's lofty expectations because he's legitimately a legendary figure.  He was a pioneer of sub-155 lb. fighters, and was a really well-rounded fighter.  He was a decorated amateur wrestler, had crazy knockout power, and was brutal with his ground and pound.  R.I.P. to a legitimate legend and on the short list of best Japanese fighters of all time.  

On 9/13/2018 at 10:05 AM, The Natural said:

Aye, that was closer. Scored it to the Thug Rose.

As did I. Joanna outlanded her but didn't seem to do any damage. Rose was terminator-like walking through that shit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I'm trying to find a parallel for Kid Yamamoto outside of MMA.  Kid was a dude that most of us only saw in gifs and grainy Realplayer clips, but he was a legitimate MMA star.  I can't think of another performer who we actually saw less of, but respected more than Kid Yamamoto.  The closest thing I could think of was maybe Snoop Dogg after The Chronic, but before Doggystyle.  Snoop had more buzz than any rapper I can remember, but we heard far more Snoop than we saw Kid Yamamoto.  It really sucks that his UFC career didn't reach everyone's lofty expectations because he's legitimately a legendary figure.  He was a pioneer of sub-155 lb. fighters, and was a really well-rounded fighter.  He was a decorated amateur wrestler, had crazy knockout power, and was brutal with his ground and pound.  R.I.P. to a legitimate legend and on the short list of best Japanese fighters of all time.  

word.