DVDVR Message Board

2018 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I am sad.  Adesanya vs. Brunson at UFC 230 will be like watching my sons fight.  I like both of those guys.

I'm looking forward to the fight, but not necessarily watching them beat the shit out of each other... or should I say watching the Stylebender hand Brunson his second straight loss.

And yeah, I hope Khabib fucking murders McGregor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I hope he ruins McGregor's career and makes him leave MMA for good. Make him Vince McMahon's problem.

McGregor couldn't ruin McGregor's career and he tried his damnedest.

He ain't getting the money that UFC is going to give him to maintain his lifestyle even if the WWE can now afford it. He could have went to WWE already. Hell, Cain went to the Performance Center to get money from the UFC. Conor is not interested in wrestling.

Eddie Hearn would probably do it, but at the same time, even a douchebag like Hearn knows there is a ceiling to McGregor as a boxer even if he can fill every stadium in Ireland, MSG, and Vegas. He wouldn't be able to beat domestic level boxers (forget a Billy Joe Saunders, Callum Smith, Eubank Jr., or George Groves) for a Commonwealth belt to justify his absurd purses. If he can't beat legit boxers, he serves no use to him. 

McGregor is MMA's problem until people don't want to watch him fight anymore which may be a hot minute. And also, he is one of the handful that subsidize the UFC being able to afford other talent. In a couple years they won't need him once all that TV money is racked up, but they still need him for right now.

Anyway lets chill on the murder so we don't get reprimanded like Frank Mir did years back.

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't want him to die or anything. The man is about to have his second child and has a family who needs him. I just want him out of MMA.

The dude hasn't been an active MMA fighter for almost two years. That should tell you something right there. MMA doesn't want McGregor out of MMA the same way boxing didn't Tyson out of boxing and they had more "stars" than MMA had at its peak. If you can galvanize people for whatever reason, you can move to Antarctica and still create more opinion pieces, clickbait, and headlines than the average Joe. Remember two Aprils ago when this dude had a single solitary tweet about retirement? Yeah, you would likely have less problems and sheer mayhem when everything is on the up and up with Conor fighting than whatever bullshit he has cultivated outside the cage (or in another promotion's cage for that matter).

Somewhat related to this:

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He wouldn't be able to beat domestic level boxers (forget a Billy Joe Saunders, Callum Smith, Eubank Jr., or George Groves) for a Commonwealth belt to justify his absurd purses.

Also, as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, McGregor's not a citizen of the British Commonwealth, and therefore not eligible to fight for a Commonwealth title. He could fight for a European title though. And lose, obvs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Also, as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, McGregor's not a citizen of the British Commonwealth, and therefore not eligible to fight for a Commonwealth title. He could fight for a European title though. And lose, obvs.

I always use Matthew Macklin as an example and always forget he was born in Birmingham therefore justifying him competing and winning a number of British titles. Either way, I don't see McGregor competing third from the top on a Matchroom Boxing card against some random guy people have never heard of. He would have one fight against someone way better than him if it got sanctioned and lose. That's it. 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have very strong feelings about this fight.

Better. ?

Glover Teixeira has withdrawn from his fight in Sao Paulo with Jimi Manuwa due to a shoulder injury.

More news in relation to the Sao Paulo card is Thales Leites deciding to retire from MMA following his upcoming bout with Hector Lombard.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

So the guy with the Nazi tattoos tries to choke out his wife...go figure.

I did Nazi that coming!!!! 

I'll be here all week, try the veal!

On 8/6/2018 at 3:53 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anyway lets chill on the murder so we don't get reprimanded like Frank Mir did years back.

Is it OK if he says he should be shot... in the leg?