DVDVR Message Board

Please Don't Fuck Around With Hurricane Harvey

RIPPA

I am pretty shook after seeing @Lawful Metal's photos and others.  I lived in Houston through Alison, Rita and Ike, and so I was kind of feeling blase about the whole thing.  "Houston will be fine!  The property damage will be bad but the people will be okay, they're ready for it!"  I kind of convinced myself that this was just another storm, and I REALLY wasn't ready to see overpasses under water.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not to fearmonger, but this whole morning we've had meetings about the shit that's going to hit the east coast. Starting to get nervous.

Wait, what shit hitting the east coast?

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna smack you for tempting fate

1. Eye of the hurricane wasn't going to directly hit us. 

2. Last time Houston was ordered to evacuate during Rita), it resulted in gridlock traffic with 100 people dying in their cars.  There's too many damn people in Houston and too few ways to leave.  all the surrounding counties got hit and don't have the manpower and infrastructure to rescue people. 

3. Harvey was unprecedented in the amount of rain it dropped.  We took a direct hit from Ike and it rained less.  We've taken a year's worth of precipitation in two days. 

4. we live on the far west side of town.  We prepared.  We have had power, water, internet with no interruptions. 

5. And I was kinda disappointed in Okada v. Omega III.  I guess they were building off Okada's neck injury from the Evil and Suzuki matches, but I thought it felt flat.  Far worse than the other two.  I thought Tanahasi v. Naito was better.  I thought Naito v. Ibushi was better.  I thought Tanahashi v. Zack Sabre Jr. was better.  I thought Omega v. Elgin was better. I never thought I'd write those last two sentences. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

1. Eye of the hurricane wasn't going to directly hit us. 

2. Last time Houston was ordered to evacuate during Rita), it resulted in gridlock traffic with 100 people dying in their cars.  There's too many damn people in Houston and too few ways to leave.  all the surrounding counties got hit and don't have the manpower and infrastructure to rescue people. 

3. Harvey was unprecedented in the amount of rain it dropped.  We took a direct hit from Ike and it rained less.  We've taken a year's worth of precipitation in two days. 

4. we live on the far west side of town.  We prepared.  We have had power, water, internet with no interruptions. 

5. And I was kinda disappointed in Okada v. Omega III.  I guess they were building off Okada's neck injury from the Evil and Suzuki matches, but I thought it felt flat.  Far worse than the other two.  I thought Tanahasi v. Naito was better.  I thought Naito v. Ibushi was better.  I thought Tanahashi v. Zack Sabre Jr. was better.  I thought Omega v. Elgin was better. I never thought I'd write those last two sentences. 

There are some folks who would say that Naito is not the best wrestler in the world today. Those folks would be wrong.

Oh for fuck's sake, some people. Get a grip, I know it's Texas, but you don't have to shoot everything.

In an interview with Headline News, Clyde Cain of the Louisana Cajun Navy told host Carol Costello that some of their freshly-arrived boats have “been shot at” by panicked Houstonians.

“People that want to be rescued are trying to steal the boat,” Cain said, to the surprise of host Costello.

“Are these bad people or people who wanna be rescued?” she asked him.

“Bad people, people that wanna be rescued and people that are just panicking,” Cain said.

The boats have incurred damage, he continued, because some people have shot at them.

“We have boats being shot at if we’re not picking everybody up,” he said.

Due to damage to the boats, Cain said the group is having to replace boats while also trying to rescue people.

“We’re kind of under attack,” he concluded.

I know it's hard to believe, but this state is not populated entirely by cretins.  We do have our share, though.

I did hear similar kinds of things from folks that had been in Katrina when my wife and I worked intake at the main shelter here in Austin.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know your state's not entirely full of idiots, it's just so weird to read. Yes, similar things happened in Katrina too. Panic makes a person do strange things. That or they're just assholes.

I shot the water, it didn't fix anything, I learned my lesson.

And I remember Rita; it was my first semester of grad school.  Thankfully, my dad was already planning to pick me up that day for a weekend back in Longview and my 10th HS reunion, otherwise I woulda been put on a bus to San An when they forced everyone off UH campus.  We spent probably 36 hours in a car, abandoned 2 of the 3 (my dad's truck and my brother's Civic, we ended up making about half the trip with just my sister-in-law's Saab) and then Longview got as much rain as UH did.  Even though I intellectually know it's bullshit, I can totally understand why someone who remembers Rita would be reluctant to evac on Harvey.

I saw that UH is closed at least thru next Tuesday, which is unsurprising but sad.  A friend and fellow alumnus said that "most of" campus is underwater.  I still remember how much Alison fucked up the Student Center and Satelite, so I can't even imagine what it's like after Harvey.