DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Oh fuck, out of nowhere the guys behind Football Manager announce that they're bringing back the Eastside Hockey Manager series, and not only that, but the new version goes live in Early Access.. today at 2 PM!

Between that, Pillars, and OOTP, I'm going to need to clone myself.

• Like 2

Oh my god oh my god oh my god! YUSSSSSSSSSS!

Eastside Mario's Hockey was the fucking best game until it got ridiculously outdated. The only thing I don't like in comparison to the OOTP style games is how hardcoded everything is in SI games.

you may.. um.. want to preemptively remove your pants before you read this announcement then (oh, and coming during early access, network games ala FM Games)

Eastside Hockey Manager: Early Access – Key Features

- Contemporary League Structures
EHM: EA includes 11 playable leagues (with more planned to be added during early access), each one featuring the up-to-date structure and rules from the current season.

- Dynamic 2D Game Engine
Follow the action through the top-down game engine, which incorporates state-of-the-art physics modelling (including realistic deflections and shot-blocking) and convincing player AI. There’s even a zoom mode for those who want to get closer to the action.

- Lifelike Trade Negotiations
Managers can gauge interest to trade proposals from their opposite numbers as well as getting feedback from their own assistant. Each team has their own needs and some are ready to offload prospects for that key veteran that makes them a true contender whilst others can be looking to move high-wage veterans in order to rebuild through the draft.

- Intuitive User Interface
The centralized navigation bar makes management easier and more intuitive with all key management controls incorporated into the main menu bar.

- Improved Player Progression
Players develop and age naturally, while the role-based attribute modelling makes players more realistic and more varied.

- International Management
EHM EA: includes 13 international tournaments for senior and U20 national teams, with tournaments hosted in a variety of nations and cities.

- Database Import
The database format allows the importing of user-generated up-to-date rosters and even historical starting databases (created for earlier versions of EHM).

- And Much, Much More…
The intuitive tutorial system takes users through the early stages, there’s an option to hide all visible attributes in the game for added challenge, a nation overview screen to view all the top leagues, clubs and players for each country, player/non-player profiles, option to start the game with a fantasy draft, up-to-date ‘all-star’ game formats with skills competitions and many, many other features.

From this great interview here:

5. EHM 2007 had a lot of hardcoded data which meant that users could not edit certain aspects of the game (such as league and team names). How has this changed for the new game?

All of the leagues were hardcoded in the old games, meaning that any changes to league rules had to be changed in code. So every year, when some leagues changed their structure or rules, we had to ditch the old code that modelled the old structure and rules and write code for the new ones. This also meant that users who wanted to edit their databases couldn’t really change too much with regards to league and team names either, as the old database needed to identify leagues and teams by their names. With the new rewritten database, we no longer rely on league or team names for identification and all the league structures and rules are now defined in the database. This means the game just needs to read in the data to figure out what kind of leagues to create and updating league structures and rules will be much easier in the future for the development team. This also means we can have better editing capabilities in the future.

8. The financial side of hockey has changed dramatically over the past eight years. The 2014/15 salary cap is more than 55% higher than back in 2006/07. Also, the highest paid players are today earning nearly double than the highest paid players in 2006/07. How have you adjusted the financial modelling in the game and will it accommodate the current salary cap and floor?

Like the leagues in the old game, the finances of different nations used to be hardcoded into the game and had to be changed annually, depending on real life changes. With the new database, we have added financial models for nations and/or leagues, so key elements of the financial side such as expected wage and budget levels and minimum/maximum wages can be set in the database itself and can be adjusted to suit the salary cap levels.

12. Retro databases have become increasingly popular over recent years (such as 1974/75, 1979/80 and 1998/99 rosters). Have you made any changes to the game in order to accommodate retro rosters?

The new database format allows users to create historical starting databases by importing rosters created for EHM 2007. For historical databases, you can set the wanted start year and select from either the 2006 or 2014 league structure and rules set.

Edit: how come we can no longer just paste youtube links from their "share" tab to get them to show up on DVDVR?

Ah, now it's just the url link w/o the s. Thanks.

If nothing else, this game should sell huge in the greater Edmonton area, as it serves up glorious escapism and the illusion of control. I know FM was the only thing getting me through Liverpool's recent dark patch.

Shit I played a few years of the original Eastside. Something like 15 seasons so basically a generation of players until guys like Tavares and Stamkos were on the verge of retirement then I stopped because I figured I'd seen enough.

Good game though the AI did some very weird things with contracts which usually left 2 or 3 superstars out of the league altogether. You could also get away with murder if you kept a close eye on the waiver wire.

OOTP 14 has a bug where the game announcer spits out stats for hitters that are clearly not for the right player sometimes. Anyone have a fix? I can't find anything.

Season one of my fake baseball league, my Edmonton team finished .500. I'm basically just playing as the money man and letting the computer handle the actual baseball part while I watch and am bizarrely entertained watching it unfold.

Into free agency I tried to sign the #1 available starting pitcher and I offered him some giant stupid deal for like $200 million. Then LA came in and gave him THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS WHAT THE FUCK BUBBA

So basically my fake fantasy league is playing out a lot like real life so far only with teams in weird places.

Topeka Kansas won the first ever Global Series. Praise to the beloved Topeka Farmers.

I've already learned more about how baseball contracts work in a week than I did in the last 15 years. Goddamn baseball has a lot of rules and sub-rules and all sorts of levels upon levels. And I have to admit I love that you can tweak EVERYTHING. I mean, I haven't actually fiddled with any of the created stadium's dimensions but you can. I DID fiddle a bunch with the new player/international free agent creation though so it actually pumps out players from baseball countries instead of from, like, Italy randomly. Though if you want to do a fantasy Qatar baseball league, more power to you. I'm sure there's one guy doing it. Somewhere.

• Like 1

Season one of my fake baseball league, my Edmonton team finished .500. I'm basically just playing as the money man and letting the computer handle the actual baseball part while I watch and am bizarrely entertained watching it unfold.

Into free agency I tried to sign the #1 available starting pitcher and I offered him some giant stupid deal for like $200 million. Then LA came in and gave him THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS WHAT THE FUCK BUBBA

So basically my fake fantasy league is playing out a lot like real life so far only with teams in weird places.

Topeka Kansas won the first ever Global Series. Praise to the beloved Topeka Farmers.

I've already learned more about how baseball contracts work in a week than I did in the last 15 years. Goddamn baseball has a lot of rules and sub-rules and all sorts of levels upon levels. And I have to admit I love that you can tweak EVERYTHING. I mean, I haven't actually fiddled with any of the created stadium's dimensions but you can. I DID fiddle a bunch with the new player/international free agent creation though so it actually pumps out players from baseball countries instead of from, like, Italy randomly. Though if you want to do a fantasy Qatar baseball league, more power to you. I'm sure there's one guy doing it. Somewhere.

The dimensions thing sound fun, I've always wanted to see what would happen when you make the LF/RF dimensions something like 420 feet or so, with a center field of 300ft(with a 50 ft high wall). . . . 

I played some OOTP after Mania last night and was marking out big time. Javier Baez hit an 8th inning grand slam in the 5th game of the 2016 NLDS for me and the Cubs beat the Phillies to get into the championship series. We were down 4-2 at the time of the grand slam. We lost to the Rockies in the DS in year 1, so this is progress. The starting lineup is pretty much Rizzo and all of the prospects plus Carlos Gonzalez (whom I traded Jake Arrieta for just before Jake's arm went to shit). I feel dirty but I was also able to swing a series of trades to land Strasburg; nothing exploitative of the system but we're clearly in bizzaro land (as if the Cubs winning a playoff series wasn't enough).

The Cubs prospects are rated like baseball gods in OOTP. Bryant led the NL in homers and finished 2nd in batter WAR, Baez led the league in homers in 2015, and Soler is crushing it too. Addison Russell is turning into a phenom, so much so that I traded Starlin Castro as part of the package for Strasburg. Schwarber has developed into a home run machine too. Albert Almora is a contact ++ hitter and great in center. The roster is stacked and I have a starting rotation of Lester, Strasburg, Hendricks, Yovani Gallardo (free agent signing), and Joe Ross (a separate deal with the Nationals with Montero and Alcantara being the main pieces going to Washington).

This game is fun. Very fun.

• Like 1

The Show is pretty friggin' awesome. It feels like they've done a lot of small detail work that was missing in the past. Lots of bloopers into the shallow outfield, foul tappers, and the like. In general, the game feels like it's way less on "tracks" in terms of ball projection which is something that really irritated me. Even last year's title had better ball projection as a feature and it felt the exact same as '13. This year it's noticeably better and at a good level. 

Neat thing that happened in the one game I played: I hit a comebacker at a pitcher and he booted it in to the air. The third baseman charged it down, barehanded it (he actually almost caught it) and rifled it to first to get me out by a stride.

Oh, and fielding is so much better with the new pop up indicator. You can't just run to the landing destination of the ball anymore. You track it in air like fielders do in real lifez.

The ballparks look great this year too. I was pretty unimpressed with the graphics in last year's PS4 release but it appears that the parks and weather got a lot of work done. Wrigley looks really fucking good.

Commentary is way better with a bunch of new lines.

Only played the one game so far and it was with default sliders (contact 4 everyone!) but it was a good experience and the biggest in-game improvements from the previous year in quite some time.

I'm broke and probably shouldn't have bought it but I don't really regret buying both baseball games this year. OOTP is something I buy every third year or so. I try to get the Show most years and while I was initially disappointed with the feature list, it feels good, man. 

It's pretty much the same thing but you can influence the direction of the hit with the left analog. I barely used the left analog and did fine with the Cubs against Wainwright on All Star difficulty. And I'm not very good at The Show.

Sometimes I think the Show is messing with me. I may pay too much attention to the "Too Soon" type messages after you swing, but I've played the Show for years and I've developed something of a consistency with swinging. Somehow, I will just not be able to get a hit for weeks at a time. I can drop down in difficulty, recover, but then the same shit happens. So I'll go up in difficulty and recover again. It's a little infuriating.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've had that happen to me this year.  Even using TNK's sliders and doing the batter's eye cam, I'm having more trouble being consistent than in previous years, even with getting my vision up.

But new RttS without the goals but with the scaling training costs is actually good.