DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

The Spirit is so dumb he didn't actually unroll the flag before he started waving it. Not much Spirit there, chief.

• Like 1

Feud starting because Eric Embry litters>>>>>>>Feud over shampoo commercial

On 1/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, MADCAP said:

This is pretty cool.  I read so much about this feud and this is the first video I've ever seen of it.  This guy's whole channel is clips or L.A. wrestling in the 70's, however most of the videos are less than a minute.  On the plus side, we are getting a look at some lost footage so be happy with that. 

I am happy that this footage exists, but the Tolos stuff I have seen has been consistently bland and tasteless - a genenic OG heel style like KKowalski but with less personality (!) (and much more dynamic promos, to be sure (I Bite The Songs, thank you, Mr. Johnny Legend)). I know his bio and would have liked to have seen his youthful babyface stuff, but I have always been annoyed by that style where it looks like they are hiding to blade CONSTANTLY when they are selling - maybe to cover when they do? This clip illustrates that perfectly. And Blassie is Blassie, always genius, cool heel proto-Flair really...

all respekt to thee Old Heads,

RAF

On 1/24/2017 at 8:23 AM, Matt D said:

What I watched instead of Raw last night, all posted within the last week from 3 different youtube channels:

3. Rip Rogers vs Franz Schumann: Schumann is very good. There are a bunch of matches with him out there (vs Zrno, vs Finlay, vs Severn, vs Liger, vs Owen, vs Lasartesse, vs Brookside, etc.) People should check him out. This one's pretty weird, with Rip's attempts at heat foiled repeatedly by the German rules and the ref. It gives the impression of watching hockey where icing is called every other minute or something. Still, Rip is Rip, and he overcomes it to annoy the crowd and get some heat anyway.

Schumann had a really good technical match with Dan Severn for the NWA title on one of the Eddie Gilbert memorial shows we went to. 

To me this match kinda defines lolTNA to me:

1. Pacman Jones, might've been the biggest heel in TNA at the time. But TNA is clearly pushing him as a face. 

2. Despite Pacman being prohibited from any physical activity TNA still puts a title on him.

3. Pacman gets the pin on Sting and the camera misses it, focusing on Karen Angle on the outside instead.

4. Killings made the most out of a shitty situation being saddled with Pacman. No wonder he would leave TNA a few months later.

EDIT: TNA fucking blocked the video on Youtube so thank goodness for Vimeo also here's an added bonus of Team Pacman defended the Titles against Team 3D on an episode of IMPACT! complete with a "comedy" spot with Brother Ray taking a football to the balls

2nd EDIT: It's not a football to the balls but to the back of the head.

There was that one time where Herb Abrams ordered Dr. Death to beat the fuck out of Steve Ray...

• Like 1

Dear Lord, he rammed him into the post just about as hard as I've ever seen.

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Dear Lord, he rammed him into the post just about as hard as I've ever seen.

Doc was working hard for that extra $100 (the amount Herb Abrams allegedly paid Doc to injury Ray).

On 1/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, Web Conn said:

3. Pacman gets the pin on Sting and the camera misses it, focusing on Karen Angle on the outside instead.

All things being equal, I'd also prefer to focus on Karen now Jarrett outside of the ring rather than Pacman Jones inside of the ring.

Hey!  Virginia's own Preston Quinn will the the oldest dude ever to compete in the ROH Top Prospects tournament!

Let us travel back in time to 2009 and watch PQ (working as a face for a change) beat the living shit out of Rex Sterling

The finish is particularly brutal.

Balls Mahoney vs Vic Grimes in an Exploding Landmine match

This is one of my all time favorite matches and I'm glad to see a quality copy of it is online.

If non-Admins are allowed to submit matches to the 1001 project, I'll offer this.

• Like 1

If you're talking hypothetical board member 1001 matches submissions here's mine:

Good find on the Ernie Ladd vs. Crusher Broomfield (aka One Man Gang) match, Matt D! Was literally just watching the Steve Corino Old School shoot with One Man Gang on Highspots last night where Gang talked about Ernie Ladd coming to ICW, and then Ladd putting in a good word for him with Watts when he returned to Mid-South.

By the way, that's a really fun shoot. Gang seems likes a really nice and likable dude, could have easily watched Corino shoot the shit with him for another two hours.

P.S. I want to know who told One Man Gang to stop doing dropkicks :(

29 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

P.S. I want to know who told One Man Gang to stop doing dropkicks :(

Isaac Newton

• Like 5

I found myself thinking of this today and, of course, there it is on Youtube.  Secrets of Pro Wrestling, an 80s classic I remember renting on VHS as a kid.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Genichiro Tenryu! 

Tenryu getting heat by ripping at Hard Gay's hat like it's a mask ripping in a lucha match is way too funny. And I have just realized that the HUSTLE logo is the Hustler logo without the "R", like an idiot

• Like 2

NOAH must've gave Tenryu the book for this match as some kind of retirement gift. 

Tenryu in Sports Entertainment FMW not doing much Sports Entertaining

EDIT: Boy does this match suck. Fuyuki is well past his sell-by date (RIP) and the crowd sits on their hands. The only redeeming factor is Tenryu trying to break his arm on Fuyuki's face. The rest of it is like watching two snails fuck. 

and for some reason I have never seen this

EDIT II: After watching I'm kind of sorry for posting this, because it's just sad. There is one good part in the middle where Misawa has a Popeye moment and can't stands no more and starts laying into Tenryu, but at this age/length of career/amount of physical abuse neither man should have been attempting moves. Any kind of moves. And for a separate reason not even strikes because the last elbow looks like it sent Tenryu into the black land, and for that reason alone you should at least skip forward and see it. 

If that makes you feel bad, go and watch the first two matches I posted

More Tenryu matches

• Like 1

This thread needs more Akira Hokuto beating the stuffing out of people.

Akira Hokuto vs Shinobu Kandori (02.04.1993)

• Like 1