DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Andre versus Strong Kobayashi from 1972.

"SUBMISSION!!!"

26 year old Andre - excuse me, MONSTER ROUSSIMOFF - just ripping shit up on the mat will blow your minds. Watch this and consider what might have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

"SUBMISSION!!!"

26 year old Andre - excuse me, MONSTER ROUSSIMOFF - just ripping shit up on the mat will blow your minds. Watch this and consider what might have been.

Shit Pete. Given what we've seen of the late 60s French footage, isn't it basically what was for a decade or so? Granted, I'm high on late career immobile Andre too. The issue is just that we have such limited footage.

There's likely still a small treasure trove in France of a few years at least, just waiting for someone to do in person "research" in the INA archive.

https://www.ina.fr/

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Shit Pete. Given what we've seen of the late 60s French footage, isn't it basically what was for a decade or so? Granted, I'm high on late career immobile Andre too. The issue is just that we have such limited footage.

There's likely still a small treasure trove in France of a few years at least, just waiting for someone to do in person "research" in the INA archive.

https://www.ina.fr/

I meant more for people who only saw him in WWF as the immobile monster, because that was what Vince Sr wanted out of him once he became Andre's exclusive booker.

Here is the set-up: Tito challenges for the IC belt at MSG in March against Davage who won the belt at Boston Garden in Feb. Savage gets DQd for roughing up the ref . This sets up a rematch the next month with Bruno as special guest ref. That goes sideways as Tito is on the verge of beating Savage when Adrian Adonis runs in for the save. That sets up this little gem in May...

James

Talking about Rick Martel in the August Wrestling Thread has gotten me sentimental for Portland Wrestling

Buddy Rose and The Sheepherders vs Roddy Piper Rick Martel and Dutch Savage 5/24/80

Buddy Rose Sam Oliver Bass and The Sheepherders vs Roddy Piper Rick Martel Dutch Savage Stan Stasiak 6/5/80

I do wonder had Kawada not had such a "strong" UWF influence dating back to even his time in Revolution would Baba have not made him the bridesmaid as often as he was, seeming as Baba was not a fan of that style at all and made a point that AJPW was wrestling not martial arts.

That made me want to go find some 3 minute 2000-2 Bossman matches because he's great in those. I found this instead:

Very weird perfect performance. Good one from Bossman though. His sell during the transition when he crotches himself on the top rope is both gross and awesome.