DVDVR Message Board

Sympathetic Heels

13 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Since we're on ROH another one that came to mind during the Gabe Sapolsky era was when The Embassy was treating Jade Chung like shit. Ring Of Honor handed down the edict that Prince Nana couldn't physically accost her anymore, so he came up with a leash. Then Jimmy Rave and Spanky had her pull them down to the ring like a husky in the Northwest. Dickheaded as hell! Nana made her wear a bedsheet in public to really be an asshole. Finally at Joe vs. Kobashi she had enough and smacked the piss out of Nana while Roderick whooped up on Rave. The NYC crowd erupted!

Wow there's a blast from the past, what's Jade Chung up to now? That whole Embassy v Generation Next feud was great with a fantastic War Games-but not War Games blow off 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Wow there's a blast from the past, what's Jade Chung up to now? That whole Embassy v Generation Next feud was great with a fantastic War Games-but not War Games blow off 

The only thing that bothered me about the GenNext/Embassy blowoff was that Daizee Haze wasn't there to get hers for turning on Matt Sydal and GenNext. Otherwise, I loved Steel Cage Warfare, and it's probably in the top 10 of my favorite ROH matches.

• Like 1

To me Bobby Heenan was the ultimate sympathetic character. He may have been a dick, but there was always a reason behind his dickish ways. He was always trounced by Hogan and the good guys. He always gave the reasons behind his spite in such clarity that you could sympathize with him. Even tho he was underhanded and dastardly, he was made that way by fate. Every tough guy he backed got what was coming to him. It drove him to extremes. To me Heenan was a babyface cursed by a destiny to fail.

• Like 3

That is sorta meta though.  Heenan only becomes a sympathetic heel when you factor in what a douche that Hogan was in real life.

Heenan being driven by success is a very admirable quality, but he was completely ruthless in pursuing his goals to the point where he even resorted to turning Hogan's friends against him (the Andre the Giant heel turn made kids weep) just for the chance to manage a World champion.

It was always a good thing when Hogan prevailed over a Heenan challenge to the title.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:23 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It all ended well in story terms, what with Lacey making the save after Jacobs was attacked after his final ROH match.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zev said:

It all ended well in story terms, what with Lacey making the save after Jacobs was attacked after his final ROH match.

Jimmy and Lacey hugging in the middle of the ring as the Ballad of Lacey played was the perfect send-off. Love might save after all.

On 10/20/2016 at 8:41 PM, Matt788 said:

To me Bobby Heenan was the ultimate sympathetic character. He may have been a dick, but there was always a reason behind his dickish ways. He was always trounced by Hogan and the good guys. He always gave the reasons behind his spite in such clarity that you could sympathize with him. Even tho he was underhanded and dastardly, he was made that way by fate. Every tough guy he backed got what was coming to him. It drove him to extremes. To me Heenan was a babyface cursed by a destiny to fail.

To quote Gorillla Monsoon "Give me a break."

He came into the WWF, had his men knock Andre the Giant unconscious and cut his hair, stole back the $15,000 he rightfully lost at WrestleMania (and apparently never paid anyone else that slammed John Studd either), proceeded to hire King Kong Bundy to break Andre's sternum, set up a plot with Don Muraco to crush Hogan's ribs, stole and supposedly mistreated a dog and then tried to do it again with a bird, tried to sell one of his talents to slavery, hired a jobber to sneak attack Gorilla Monsoon, embarrassed one of the few champions he ever had by firing them on national television, and while insulting a wrestler's mother just sat idly by while his guy took the fall and got thrown out of the WWF.

Yeah, he was just misunderstood.

His feuds with Hogan were just him taking advantage of an opportunity. Not really sure where the sympathy was.  Heenan finds a guy that hates Hogan as much as he does so he latches on.  Like a parasite.  

• Like 3

I just find a lot of sympathy in a desperate man who was drivin villanous ways by unmerciful fate. Sarge and Curt Hennig were true villians, Heenan was just like the drunk at the track who bet on the wrong horse so many times he decided to try to break a jockeys leg or bribe a horse trainer. With his quick sense of humor and complete lack of morals, I sensed he as a sheep in wolves clothing somehow. A born loser determined to score big will break any rule, but my sympathy lies with his tenacity. He was not your average evil foreigner or rich interloper.

A

• Like 1

Bobby Heenan was the perfect instigator. He's Devil whispering on your shoulder filling you with lies to run you against your best friend. In fact he pulled that off twice with 2 of Hogan's friends. He replaced one man as King with another and when the first one came back played neutral when the 2 wrestled... except not really as he kept switching sides.

Heenan isn't the drunk  at the tack, he's the political operative telling Nixon to get the CIA to wave off the FBI and then deny everything, because after all... what could go wrong?

James

• Like 3

On 10/21/2016 at 9:16 PM, J.H. said:

and in the ned Heenan was proven right about Hogan courtesy of the NWO. That was probably more his defining moment than anything. It was his Harry Truman victory moment.

True enough since Heenan was there to meta his WWE anti-Hogan rhetoric as a WCW announcer.

I still don't think that Heenan's actions in WWE warrant sympathy (kayfabe or otherwise) during his managerial run with The Family, but I do still believe that they were justified in light of Hogan's NWO heel turn and his real life cronyism with Bischoff.