DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

The American President is more comedic than West Wing (from what I've heard), which tends to be more serious.  But it is a damn good movie, and just narrowly missed being on my ballot.  

Desperado is so good it would have made my ballot even without naked Selma Hayek.

*adds to viewing queue*

Not to be a creeper and all, but really if there's a shortlist of women it's worth going out of your way for this, she's got to be on it.

That was actually her?  From the camera angles and the fact that we never see her face and her boobs in the same frame, I'd always assumed it was a body double.  But now I find an online interview where she talks about how much she hated doing the nude scene and how she cried beforehand, so I 'spose that is indeed her.  

Posted Image

229) THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER (Jui kuen II/Drunken Master II)

1994 - 166 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #9 Caley)

DIRECTOR: Chia-Liang Liu, Jackie Chan

STARRING: Jackie Chan, Ho-Sung Pak, Lung Ti 

Placement On Original List: #68 (6 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%)

WIKI

EDIT - Yeah this is a lie. Keep reading...

Not looking to fuck anything up here, but this was my #50. So, either the points are wrong or you missed a vote.

Oh God Dammit - I didn't miss a vote I just had the movie double listed . So the good news for fans of this movie... it's gonna reshow up a lot higher.

And I motherfucking double checked for duplicates like 9 times. Stupid movies with multiple names.

Grr... now I am pissed at myself

Not looking to fuck anything up here, but this was my #50. So, either the points are wrong or you missed a vote.

Oh God Dammit - I didn't miss a vote I just had the movie double listed . So the good news for fans of this movie... it's gonna reshow up a lot higher.

And I motherfucking double checked for duplicates like 9 times. Stupid movies with multiple names.

Grr... now I am pissed at myself

I'll accept part of the blame because that is the way IMDB has it listed... but I refuse to acknowledge that stupid ass dubbed, altered version .

Posted Image

229) MY BEST FIEND

1999 - 167 Points - 4 Votes (Highest Vote: #35 Caley)

DIRECTOR: Werner Herzog

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%)

WIKI

NOTE FROM RIPPA - This is the real #229. Also interesting note - how important is a single letter? I kept calling this "My Best Friend" and getting a totally different movie.

• Like 1

Posted Image

228) STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT

1996 - 168 Points - 5 Votes (Highest Vote: #22 Death From Above)

DIRECTOR: Jonathan Frakes

STARRING: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner 

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%)

WIKI

EDIT - Just had to do a correct edit to reflect the proper high vote

• Like 1

Posted Image

227) BLACK ROBE

1991 - 168 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #26 Randy)

DIRECTOR: Bruce Beresford

STARRING: Lothaire Bluteau, Aden Young, Sandrine Holt 

Placement On Original List: #248 (2 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%)

WIKI

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Televiper has been dethroned as high vote. It's a Brave New World

• Like 1

Posted Image

226) THE WEDDING BANQUET (Xi yan)

1993 - 168 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #14 Kawada)

DIRECTOR: Ang Lee

STARRING: Winston Chao, May Chin, Ya-lei Kuei

Placement On Original List: #256 (2 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

WIKI

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Kawada was the high vote the last time too. Clearly the other vote this time thought more of the movie than the original 2nd voter (like approximately 50 spots more)

ASSIMILATE THIS

KPOW

That's what cinema is all about.

Also, Black Robe is pretty good, in entirely different ways. It's been ages since I've seen it but I still didn't hesitate to have it on my final ballot. The 90's seem like sort of the only decade where Canadian cinema got its act together.

...Star Trek: First Contact is actually on the list? Bizarre.

Why? It's awesome. Beats a lot of other stuff that's shown up so far.

I think it's mostly me. I just never really think of Star Trek movies outside of Khan. And even though I looooved TNG, I was never big on the movies. For whatever reason, I didn't expect one of them to just show up as a Top 250 of an entire decade. It's just odd to me, but you're right, it's just as well as some of the other stuff so far.

I purposely sorted my file by director and year so I would spot movies like this.

I just have zero clue how I missed it.

Anyway - the real 229 in a second

I may be misreading this, but shouldn't this be #228? I mean if you took Drunken Master out and consolidated with the further up Drunken Master, then you've got a gap left at #229.

I purposely sorted my file by director and year so I would spot movies like this.

I just have zero clue how I missed it.

Anyway - the real 229 in a second

I may be misreading this, but shouldn't this be #228? I mean if you took Drunken Master out and consolidated with the further up Drunken Master, then you've got a gap left at #229.

No - the one originally at #229 was the higher placing one. So the two combined moved up the list and pushed everything else down.