DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Okay - the Top 20 starts tomorrow.

I might - MIGHT - try and crank all 20 out tomorrow. If not it will be 10 tomorrow and the Top 10 on Friday. We will end this week.

Also - something I should have mentioned when Thin Red Line came out. From now on all movies (besides having at least 1000 points) have at least 15 votes.

27) SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER & UNCUT

1999 - 866 Points - 14 Votes (Highest Vote: #5 Newb82)

Pleasantly surprised my #10 vote didn't get the high vote. Such a funny film with a great story and great songs, the best from the latter is Blame Canada. Bonus mention to Kyle's Mom is a Bitch with what happens. If we ever get another Sotuh Park movie, this is hard to top.

23) JURASSIC PARK

1993 - 957 Points - 13 Votes (Highest Vote: #3 Newb82)

I had this one place higher on my ballot at #22. Visuals still hold up today.

21) THE USUAL SUSPECTS

1995 - 1021 Points - 17 Votes (Highest Vote: #4 Jason Smith)

Second of this batch from my top ten to go at #8. My 1995 Film of the Year and one of the best ever endings to a film.

Looking at the films remaining on my ballot, I'd say twelve are locks to show...possibly thirteen.

Seeing people wanting The Shawshank Redemption to show soon, the film I feel the same way about is Fargo. Not a big fan of the Coens from the two I've seen.

Posted Image

16) SCHINDLER'S LIST
1993 - 1131 Points - 16 Votes (Highest Vote: #1 JT)

DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg
STARRING: Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley
Placement On Original List: #17 (12 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I can't remember if I said this when Philadelphia came up. One night, everyone on my floor went to see either Philadelphia or Schindler's List. (I was in the Schindler's List camp). Most depressing night of college ever.

Jesus, my iMDB movie snobbery ballot really is the worst one I have ever submitted in any movie poll ever.  I think me not voting for The Matrix was a reflection of my disdain for the other movies of the Matrix franchise in conjunction with my declining stock in the Warshowskis.  I should have framed that movie in a better context.

At least I stood up for Schindler's List.  It seems to be en vogue to hate on it because of whatever opinion you may have of Spielberg as a person or whatever nitpicky arguments you want to make about the events or the characters in comparison to the real life counterparts..

Poor Ralph Fiennes.  Dude turned in the performance of a career, but there was no overcoming the awesomeness of Tommy Lee Jones owning the role of US Marshall Sam Gerald in The Fugitive.

There was no excuse for me not voting for Hoop Dreams.  That was me being a retard.

"This movie is not a documentary" is the ultimate argument for people that don't understand what movies are for.

Yeah, I have seen my fellow movie snobs hate on this movie because of the embelisment of fact and then in the same breath, debate the finer points the continuity of the Star Wars timeline as if these events actually happened in real life.

I sometimes hate the fans of stuff I am a fan of.

Off the top of my head... Rushmore, Ed Wood, The Insider, L.A. Confidential and Glengarry Glen Ross dropping so much. I won't comment on the stuff gaining popularity that I've found questionable, but there have been a number that made me scratch my head. Comparing the two lists, some of the stuff that is about to replace those in the top 25.

I think the issue is voting head vs. heart.  I tried to be cerebral about it when I should've just gone with my gut.  A lot more personal favorites and cult classics would've made made my ballot.

Movies that were important to me rather than movies that were important in general.

Posted Image

14) BOOGIE NIGHTS
1997 - 1160 Points - 20 Votes (Highest Vote: #1 New Blood)

DIRECTOR: Paul Thomas Anderson
STARRING: Mark Wahlberg, Julianne Moore, Burt Reynolds
Placement On Original List: #6 (17 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - CHAMPION DOWN!!! Okay not really but I have been wanting to yell that and this seemed as good a time as any. Anyway - first former Top 10 movie to drop. However, it is also our first movie with 20 votes.

Posted Image

13) FIGHT CLUB
1999 - 1162 Points - 17 Votes (Highest Vote: #1 Hobo Joe)

DIRECTOR: David Fincher
STARRING: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter
Placement On Original List: #8 (16 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - CHAMPION DOWN!!! Okay... you get the idea.

Posted Image

12) HEAT
1995 - 1190 Points - 16 Votes (Highest Vote: #2 caley)

DIRECTOR: Michael Mann
STARRING: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer
Placement On Original List: #9 (16 Votes)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Maybe if one of you had voted this #1 it could have stayed in the Top 10. But nooooooo.....