DVDVR Message Board

BOLA 2016

Sweet.  I already preordered the DVDs for all three nights.  I've never watched the BOLA or any PWG, but this year's lineup of competitors was too good to pass up.  Based on the previews, I'm sure I'll be going back and forth between "that's the coolest thing I've ever seen" and "that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen."

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Stage 1 last night.  Scurll was unimpressive during his match with Pentagon.  Cobb vs Ricochet was a fun "big guy throws flippy guy around" match.  ZSJ vs Tommy End was far better than I thought it would be, since Sabre's "look at all these holds I know" shit was kept to a minimum, and End is just awesome.  Bullet Club vs Castle and "the Boys" was also surprisingly fun, with some good comedy bits that took advantage of the inherent goofiness of Dalton's gimmick.

• Like 1

Word.  I'd much rather see Hero, Lee or Cole in that spot.  Scurll is nonsensical.  He's been a comedy figure until now.  He was 2-2 in the last 4 shows leading up to BOLA, even losing to Chuck Taylor.  Again, I like Scurll.  I DEFINITELY like him more than ZSJ, but as a top guy?  Worst BOLA choice since Joey Ryan?

16 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Given the trend of booking overrated British guys to win the tournament, if I were Wade Barrett, I'd start doing some serious networking.

If it eases your mind Wade stopped doing wrestling to cover soccer back home.

I'm almost afraid to admit this anymore on this board, but I probably count all three, Scurll, Ospreay and Sabre Jr. amongst my Top 5 favorite wrestlers in the world right now and think the Scurll win was much deserved.

My MOTY so far is without a doubt Scurll vs. Ospreay from January at Revolution Pro and I doubt anything will come along that will top it.

I also thought the much-maligned Sabre Jr. vs. Scurll match from last year's BOLA was the best match of the entire tournament.

You can crucify me now.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, mattdangerously said:

The 10 man match on night 3 is completely ridiculous.  Liger could easily add another decade to his career by going full-on comedy wrestler.

It really was but it did look like Liger was having fun in that match. I hope he does more of this, it really looked like he was enjoying himself in there on Night 3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still working my way through night 1...I LOL'd when Excalibur & Chuck Taylor on commentary referred to Matt Sydal vs John Hennigan as a "rematch from ECW" and then broke down laughing.

Jeff Cobb has a long way to go before he's a complete package, but watching him absolutely throw guys around is pretty fun.

• Like 1

Excalibur and Chucky T are the best, which says a lot about wrestling commentary in 2016. 

Cobb continually wins over new audiences. I don't see a tonne of holes in his game, as sells pretty damn well for a big guy without going over the top and becoming just another guy. I'm only through night one but I felt like he and Ricochet stole the show, and Ricochet in PWG can sometimes drive me nuts as much as I like his work in LU.