DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, RIZIN, Fight Pass, and AXS TV Thread (Fedor/Fabby Brawlgame Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

On 1/2/2017 at 0:04 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Gaethje can win just based on toughness and outlasting people but I'm not sure how long that can last. You take a beating from the wrong guy, and you're basically a shot fighter when you're suppose to be in your fighting prime.

As for Moraes, I saw folks report that he only signed a one fight deal but looking at an interview he did with Guilherme Cruz he signed a "different" multi-fight deal. Not sure what that means or if something got lost in translation when he was talking to other people.

Yeah, it looks like just a one fight extension.

8 hours ago, Setsuna said:

re : the ridiculousness - I know it's weird in that way and probably why people hoping for a legitimate successor to Pride need to give it up. I went to Pride NYE in 2005 and everyone I met only watched to talk about Yoshida-Ogawa. When I started to talk about Silva-Arona or Gomi-Sakurai it was all, yea, yea, but Ogawa!  I got into a conversation with the old guy that ran the hostel I was staying at and why I was there, etc...  Turns out he was planning to watch the K-1 NYE show. Can't remember what the draw was there but I'm guessing it was Akebono against either Royce or Sapp. 

Appreciate the insights on Saiga and Tenshin. It was only a few weeks before the show that I got to see the Knockout fight from Tenshin and hot damn, I love Japanese kickboxing. It just sucks that shows like that, Krush and the new Japanese K-1 org kind of fly under the radar while Rizin gets tons of attention.

Pretty sure it was Akebono vs. Sapp. That's still one of the combat sport fights that's drawn the highest ratings ever there.

RIZIN doesn't really get much coverage among MMA media because it's not that big yet.

Japanese Kickboxing doesn't get much coverage stateside because kickboxing in itself isn't as popular as MMA and MMA isn't that popular in itself either.

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

well, that is fantastic news. i really hope to see him in the UFC.

According to Karim Zidan just now, the UFC has signed Magomed Bibulatov. So that's one WSOF champ that has been signed.

• 2 weeks later...

InVicta FC 21: Amy Montenegro vs. Celine Haga was a super crazy fight with 2 different almost endings going both ways for both women. KGB looked awesome in just running thru her opponent. Ladd did what she does and Letson pulled off a quick upset finish. Anderson took some shots in the 1st round but in the 2nd round put together an insane flurry to win the title then told Dana tell Germaine and Holly I'm coming for my fucking title.

• Like 1

Very fun Invicta show. My four favorites on the card all won. Montenegro/Haga was insane, amazing fight to watch. KGB had a killer performance for sure. Aspen Ladd is awesome and I love Megan Anderson. Raquel Pa'aluhi also had one of her very best performances.

• Like 1

That she did it was be interesting to see if she can use this win and go on a run.

I hope in March at InVicta 22 they rematch Montenegro/Haga to see if they can put on a another amazing fight/to see who wins that time and if one can finish the other before the end of a round.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

That she did it was be interesting to see if she can use this win and go on a run.

I hope in March at InVicta 22 they rematch Montenegro/Haga to see if they can put on a another amazing fight/to see who wins that time and if one can finish the other before the end of a round.

That would be cool. The rematch I'm hoping for is still Jinh Yu Frey and Ayaka Hamasaki. Potentially a triple header of rematches if they went that route. I'd guess they'd wait on Montenegro/Haga, but an immediate rematch at 22 would be nice.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Any predictions for Sonnen/Ortiz? I have absolutely no idea what to expect. My gut says Sonnen just holds Ortiz down for three rounds and wins but I mean really anything can happen.

Hilarity. That's what I expect.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

We haven't seen Chael in several years without a suit on period.   He might as well go back on the TRT because even he gets popped by the state commission you know Coker isn't going to do shit about it.

With him being a repeat offender, he might get a lifetime ban (or essentially lifetime if it's 2-3 years) in California and that would put an end to his career stateside. At least now, they can do commission shopping and Bellator really doesn't run Nevada so it's up to whatever place they go to. I think they would also be very hesitant of using him on international shows if he was suspended by a major commission. Hence, why they're not using Wanderlei now.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I expect Sonnen to win, but Chael had a physique at the weigh-ins of someone his age. We haven't seen that Chael in several years.

I suspect Chael will score repeated take-downs followed by dry-humping Tito's leg into a split decision. It won't be pretty or very effective, but it WILL stake a solid claim as funniest fight of the year. The post match interviews (assuming either or both are conscious) should be golden, golden I tells ya... 

Even if Tito wins the post match interview will be something since he can't stop talking lately about how much he likes Trump

Apparently another big surprise is coming,  can only imagine the over the hill former UFC this turns out to be

Oh it is Rampage.  Same old same old.   Although chances are the fight won't happen is probably good

Just now, hammerva said:

Yep the typical Chael Sonnen fight.  Tons of hype and buildup and then an awful performance in the cage

As I said...he's a 39 year old fighter without the use of TRT. That's basically the performance I expected. It just turns out that between the two, Tito Ortiz is the better fighter.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 6:18 PM, twiztor said:

Moraes is a bright spot in WSOF and has made it crystal clear that he wants to go to the UFC. Looking forward to see what he can do with the top guys.

I've wanted to see Moraes in the UFC for a long time.  I hope it finally happens.

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As I said...he's a 39 year old fighter without the use of TRT. That's basically the performance I expected. It just turns out that between the two, Tito Ortiz is the better fighter.

Chael Sonnen is legit the worst fighter who has been a consistent main event fighter of all time.  He's legit only good at takedowns and top control.  His striking is terrible, and his grappling is pretty bad as well.  If he can't take his opponent down and fight from the top, he is going to lose 100% of the time.  Losing that way to Tito Ortiz in 2017 is pretty embarrassing, but somehow his next fight will be in the main event.  At some point we have to stop paying attention to him right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Chael Sonnen is legit the worst fighter who has been a consistent main event fighter of all time.  He's legit only good at takedowns and top control.  His striking is terrible, and his grappling is pretty bad as well.  If he can't take his opponent down and fight from the top, he is going to lose 100% of the time.  Losing that way to Tito Ortiz in 2017 is pretty embarrassing, but somehow his next fight will be in the main event.  At some point we have to stop paying attention to him right?

Chael was always a decent offensive grappler, but his defense was always questionable as well. That's why I am confused by people thinking he threw the fight. Did anyone watch Chael in his first UFC run and before and after that first run outside the UFC? Without TRT, you're basically getting the fighter who lost multiple times to Jeremy Horn but he's almost 40 now. I think 5 or 6 years ago, Chael would be able to not only get that front headlock on Tito but get the D'arce on Tito easily. When it's just old man wrestler strength vs. old man wrestler strength, whoever doesn't gas their arms first wins. Tito wasn't the one wasting his energy trying to get a sloppy guillotine choke from the bottom so he won. It's basically the wrestler version of Belfort/Hendo 3 or Hendo/Shogun II where whichever shot fighter got hit on the button first really hard was going down. That's what comes with these fights.

I think when it comes to ratings (and we'll see how this show fares soon enough), someone like Chael might get the benefit of the doubt as long he's against someone else notable. Like Tito vs. Bonnar can do good numbers but Tito vs. McGeary underperformed. So anything under a million for Bellator is a disappointment with no real competition except Cavs vs. Spurs, and anything at 1 million or above should be considered a success considering the post Kimbo portion of 2016 for Bellator outside int. show attendance was horrendous all the way around.