DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, RIZIN, Fight Pass, and AXS TV Thread (Fedor/Fabby Brawlgame Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

does PFL feel like a completely new and separate company, or does it feel like the "same old" WSOF with a name change? haven't had a chance to catch the show yet. 

Pretty much the same WSOF except this had more rain and NASCAR drivers (in their driving uniforms because the race got postponed to tomorrow afternoon) at cageside. I mean all six guys (Fitch, Foster, High, Fodor, Rama, and Markes) on the television portion have fought for WSOF before.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this the proper thread, but I fucking hate Glory rules.

It reeks of this old timey kickboxing that called Muay Thai lazy and boring yet Glory had the nerve to invite probably the greatest fighter in the world to their sport, knowing damn well that Saenchai is known to clinch and throw elbows. I watched that fight he had in Glory and I was annoyed at the ref constantly breaking up Saenchai's clinch and discounting his "sweeps." Like come n, did they even bother looking the guy up before they signed him? He is known for his sweeps and clinch. They did the same for Simon Marcus who loves knees from the clench, but he is not allowed to use them.

Like why? It is kickboxing, but it reeks of that old timey K-1 and looks like a Tae Kwon Do exhibition. 

1 hour ago, Kyuubi said:

I am not sure if this the proper thread, but I fucking hate Glory rules.

It reeks of this old timey kickboxing that called Muay Thai lazy and boring yet Glory had the nerve to invite probably the greatest fighter in the world to their sport, knowing damn well that Saenchai is known to clinch and throw elbows. I watched that fight he had in Glory and I was annoyed at the ref constantly breaking up Saenchai's clinch and discounting his "sweeps." Like come n, did they even bother looking the guy up before they signed him? He is known for his sweeps and clinch. They did the same for Simon Marcus who loves knees from the clench, but he is not allowed to use them.

Like why? It is kickboxing, but it reeks of that old timey K-1 and looks like a Tae Kwon Do exhibition. 

It's in the right thread now since the Glory Superfight Series airs on Fight Pass. Close enough.

I haven't watched a minute of Bellator kickboxing but don't they have the same rules? I would think Lion Fight would be the only one without those rules, but I seem to remember some weird rules back when I did have time to catch a Lion Fights show on AXS.

For those that missed Girtz/Campos from Friday that Sabin is talking about, Bellator did a nice job of uploading it to youtube ASAP:

Classic blood and guts stuff. One more fight, plz!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching Reina Miura vs. Jazzy Gabbert since RIZIN is happening this weekend. I don't know if there is a weight class for Reina but the UFC should sign her if they ever get a chance. Her charisma transcends a language barrier and the entire post-fight authority figure wrestling angle with Takada was delightful. Also, we need some type of interaction with Teruto Ishihara.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

KING Reina beat Lei'D Tapa by dec. last night, but she didn't look great. I don't think she'd do that great in the UFC yet to be honest.

She's fought as 135 lbs. and at 198 lbs., so if she ever signed with the UFC, she could fight at either 135 lbs. or 145 lbs.

Good news for PFL: They had 3,000 in attendance for the show in Everett, WA on Saturday against UFC 214.

The really, really bad news for PFL:

If this lasts an entire "season", I will be shocked.

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm going to Bellator 185 at Mohegan Sun.  Mousasi vs. Shlemenko.  I've been to boxing events but never MMA. Should be fun. 

Hopefully, Mousasi's Bellator debut goes smoother than the last time a highly touted free agent debuted at a Mohegan card.

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Good news for PFL: They had 3,000 in attendance for the show in Everett, WA on Saturday against UFC 214.

The really, really bad news for PFL:

If this lasts an entire "season", I will be shocked.

So you are saying it was a bad idea for an MMA promotion to run a show the same night as UFC's biggest show of the year? Yeah, they probably should've went with another date.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

So you are saying it was a bad idea for an MMA promotion to run a show the same night as UFC's biggest show of the year? Yeah, they probably should've went with another date.

If you take a look at all of their shows (dating back before the name change from World Series of Fighting), many of the Saturday cards take place with a UFC card running concurrently. I believe that is NBC's call because they want to capitalize on the MMA audience watching that night and get folks to click over.

However, they don't really have any compelling names (especially since UFC signed Marlon Moraes and Gaethje) to make potential viewers intrigued. They have a few notable UFC castaways, Andre Harrison, Lance Palmer, and Blagoi Ivanov. PFL is essentially WSOF but without Branch, Marlon Moraes, and Gaethje. That's not going to do anything business wise whether they run against the UFC or not.

Tonight's Contender Series episode was pretty good. Man, Phil Hawes is basically the new Bubba Jenkins. Against non-prospects, he looks like he has a ton of potential. Tonight against Julian Marquez, another prospect, he just ended up getting shellacked when he gassed and then head kicked into utter oblivion. He already lost to Andrew Sanchez on TUF to get into the house. Some guys are just destined to be high level sparring partners who deliver in the gym and not much else. It's a shame because middleweight has openings for a great wrestler to come through and move up the ranks. Looks like Hawes won't be that guy.

The flyweight fight between Ronaldo Candido and Carlos Candelario was a damn fun fight along with Jason Knight's training partner competing in an earlier bout and winning.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ace said:

I assume he'll be allowed to go back on TRT there.

Yeah, he is already back on it. Alex Davis stated that in an interview with MMAJunkie. 

He also kinda stated that he knows this is not a good fight for Bigfoot but his clients have the final say in their fights.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more bouts have been announced for RIZIN's upcoming card on October 15.

RIZIN Women's Super Atomweight Tournament:

RENA vs. Andy Nguyen

Miyuu Yamamoto vs. Irene Rivera

Alyssa Garcia vs. Maria Oliveira Mota

Kanna Asakura vs. Sylwia Juskiewicz

RIZIN Bantamweight Tournament:

Shintaro Ishiwatari vs. Akhmed Musakaev

Erson Yamamoto vs. Manel Kape

Moon Jae Hoon vs. Kevin Petshi

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Gabriel Leite de Oliveira

Tenshin Nasukawa vs. Yamato Fujita

RIZIN Grappling Rules:

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Dan Henderson

Kickboxing Rules:

Issei Ishii vs. Jin Mandokoro

Yuki vs. Darvish Kuroki

RYOTA RENSEIGYM vs. Yoshihisa "Kyoken" Morimoto

So I am sitting down right now to watch tonight's One Championship show and I've got a confession to make....I really like One.

That might be too strong but I definitely really appreciate One and do, generally, enjoy the product.

They went through a really terrible spell a year and a half or two years back with the fighter who died during the weight cut and the Arnuad Lepont's nightmare story about being dropped in a public hospital post-fight In Indonesia of all places (you can do that in Singapore and to a lesser extent Malaysia but Indonesia??). Around that same time they cancelled a number of events - it seemed like every second show would just disappear from the schedule. In all fairness, I am pretty sure this was when they were trying to break into China and they're known for their frustrating bureaucracy. One did promise something ridiculous like 26 events in the year and could only put together around 11, with a number of those being really weak cards. They also lost their main broadcaster around this time as their 10 year deal with Star Sports hit some roadblocks when Fox bought out the network and relaunched it as a Fox Sports.

Through 2016 - 2017 they have really hit a decent stride. They've turned Angela Lee, Eduard Folayang and Aung La N Seng into household names in their respective countries. I can only speak personally about Myanmar but EVERYONE watches Aung La's fights. Manny Pacquiao was in attendance at Folayang's last One fight as well. They've hammered out good regional tv deals in all of their main markets for the live events while Fox Sports shows replays of events once or twice a week. In short, they've done a lot to build the sport in a region of the world that did not have a built-in mma fanbase. 

This is their third show in the last 4 weeks and while there is a lot of filler and young, inexperienced fighters, there's enough quality as well. Cherry-picking some of the more 'name' fights from this event and the past two you can end up with a really good show that would rival most outside of the UFC :

Martin Nguyen vs Marat Gafurov

Ben Askren vs. Zebastian Kadestam

Kairat Akhmedov vs. Geje Eustaquio

Ev Ting vs. Nobutatsu Suzuki

Kevin Belingon vs. Reece McLaren

Gianni Subba vs. Riku Shibuya

If you extended it to a six week span it would also include : Bibiano Fernandes vs. Andrew Leone, Adriano Moraes vs. Kairat Akhmetov and Hayato Suzuki vs. Joshua Pacio

Really not too shabby for an organisation that looked to be on its way out a few years ago.

And they gave Ben Askren a car:

ben-askren-1.png?fit=1656,1032&ssl=1