DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

Hopefully it won't come to that as that will clearly kill any discussion of films that make the list. Having said that, the current pace is no friend to conversation either. Still appreciate your efforts.

Absolutely. Expect to be bombarded as I'm watching the Copa game tonight.

• Like 1

This is one that I think we may find will rank higher in 5 years after repeated viewings.

Spoiler

Inherent-Vice-Poster1-e1420753199331.jpg

96.  Inherent Vice - 2014 - Paul Thomas Anderson (102 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @Control #16
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 74%
Metacritic - 81

What Critics Said? 
There are, of course, two ways to experience Inherent Vice: with the brain on or the brain off. Both work. The latter is a good time, the former more illuminating. .- Wesley Morris

What Letterboxd Users Said?

Every ticket to INHERENT VICE should come with the choice of a joint or a second ticket to INHERENT VICE. You will need one or the other. - Matt Singer

• Like 1

Spoiler

rock.jpg

95.  The Other Guys - 2010 - Adam McKay (104 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @caley #13
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 78%
Metacritic - 64

What Critics Said? 
Like some silly summer song that can't be shaken from the mind, this is a catchy enterprise, no better than it tries to be and no less funny.. .- Richard Corliss

Do you want to see a movie that's equal parts Lethal Weapon and Anchorman?

Do you want to hear, in detail, how salmon could kill a pride of lions?

Do you want to see a movie where people wrestle very quietly, Michael Keaton repeatedly and accidentally quotes TLC, and Steve Coogan sounds a bit like Jeremy Clarkson?

Do you - do you - want to see a movie where a man is hit with a wooden gun for comic effect?

I want to see that. I want to see that hard.

- Oli Jeffery

Spoiler

a3dq8g.jpg

95.  Kick-Ass - 2010 - Matthew Vaughn (104 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @SolidGoldBomb - #22
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 66%
Metacritic - 66

What Critics Said? 
Kick-Ass is a compendium of all sleazy things, and it sings like a siren to our inner Tarantinos.- David Edelstein

Fun, insane, crazy, off-beat, offensive, and yes, kick ass. 

- SilentDawn

• Like 2

This falls into the films I am embarrassed to not have watched for this. Another one that probably would have made my list had I done so.

Spoiler

1401553700.jpg

93.  Force Majeure - 2014 -  Ruben Östlund (108 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @Control - #8
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
Metacritic - 87

What Critics Said? 
Intellectually and visually enthralling and often savagely funny, but it also demands a significant investment of both patience and stamina on the viewer's part..- Dana Stevens - Slate

THE LONELIEST PLANET chilled and served family style.

- David Ehrlich

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Both tags say Other Guys

This is what happens when you're blindly running through this and scanning it again and still seeing it done correctly. Sorry, man.

• Like 1

Spoiler

dd13e8e4825415e29ff9def5cf044e56.jpg

92.  Hugo - 2011 -  Martin Scorsese (108 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - Chaos - #22
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 94%
Metacritic - 83

What Critics Said? 
"Hugo" is unlike any other film Martin Scorsese has ever made, and yet possibly the closest to his heart.- Roger Ebert 

Pure magic. Outstanding performances all around, and maybe only the second justified and fully realized utilization of 3D, with Cameron's Avatar being the other. I felt the need to stand up and cheer for the first time since The Lord of the Rings. This is why we go to the movies.

- Greg Layton

Gotta say I'm shocked to see KICK-ASS that low.  Given this board's proclivity for comic book movies, and it's critical rep as one of the best comic book movies of the last 15 years, I never would've guessed it would only end up on 3 ballots.

But then again, this board voted GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY as the best comic book movie of all-time, so maybe I should've seen this coming.  

I now expect to see a bunch of okay-ish Marvel movies disproprotionately high.

• Like 2

Spoiler

NEBRASKA_0.jpg

91.  Nebraska - 2013 -  Alexander Payne (112 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #17
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
Metacritic - 86

What Critics Said? 
At times in his career, Dern has played characters as half-loonies when it wasn’t necessarily called for. Here, portraying a man well on his way to being checked out, he underplays without a trace of neurosis or mannerism..- Todd McCarthy

On an overall scale, Nebraska is a wonderfully directed, starkly written, superbly performed, gorgeously photographed, carefully edited & pleasantly composed cinema that also scores pretty high as one of the finest comedies of its year. 

- CinemaClown

• Like 1

This may just be due to personal views and largely being underwhelmed by his films (Even then, I do have one on my ballot), but this might be one of the more divisive directors to have a film on this list if not the most divisive. I also, personally, do not "get" Matthew Vaughan. I threw a Bill Simmons article in about this one that I remembered reading 6 years ago too.

Spoiler

article-1352218-0CE7A77F000005DC-64_634x

90.  The Fighter - 2010 -  David O. Russell (112 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @SolidGoldBomb - #15
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 90%
Metacritic - 79

Bill Simmons Piece on The Fighter and Sports Movies Going Forward

What Critics Said? 
Stories about working-class boxers punching above their station aren’t exactly new, but director David O. Russell (Three Kings) and his team do everything they can to evoke the humble setting and the complex—and often quite funny—dynamic between Micky and a family that doesn’t always have his best interests at heart. Wahlberg normally disappears in quieter roles, but here he subtly conveys the weak, impressionable kid who quivers behind his hulking exterior.- Scott Tobias - The A.V. Club

Christian Bale as Dicky Eklund...wow. Between his performances in Out of the Furnace and The Fighter, if I knew nothing about the actor I would just assume he was from the rust belt of America. He is able to tap into more than just a caricature of the working class American from the northeast. It's beyond impressive, to where it's almost unbelievable.

- HollieHorror

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Gotta say I'm shocked to see KICK-ASS that low.  Given this board's proclivity for comic book movies, and it's critical rep as one of the best comic book movies of the last 15 years, I never would've guessed it would only end up on 3 ballots.

But then again, this board voted GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY as the best comic book movie of all-time, so maybe I should've seen this coming.  

It wasn't super intentional, but I think (without looking) that I did not vote for a single comic book film. There's another non-Marvel comic book film that is going to do super well on this list that I absolutely disliked. Kick-Ass was one I just never ended up watching because it just seemed like something I'd be inclined to dislike.

Spoiler

we-are-the-best-poster-skip-crop.jpg

89.  We Are The Best - 2014 -  Lukas Moodysson (114 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #14
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 97%
Metacritic - 87

What Critics Said? 
We Are the Best! captures perfectly the aimlessness of adolescence, the waiting to become something that's so often intertwined with the desire to make something, to leave your mark on the world in some small way.- Stephanie Zacharek - Village Voice

We Are the Best! is a touching, honest, punk-rock smile factory. I had tears in my eyes by the end of it from smiling so much, so while I could stick to my normal routine of humorless, emotionless analytical examination, my big takeaway from this is how it made me feel..

- ScreeningNotes

• Like 1

Kind of surprised We Are The Best! is that low on Caley's ballot.  I should have voted for Inherent Vice. I guess I didn't because it ended up being 2015 on RT. But I didn't put it on that ballot either!! I still need to see Nebraska.  So far, Red, White, and Blue is my key discovery from this poll, which is why I like to participate in these things. 

• Like 1

This one barely missed my ballot, and it's a film that I still feel like did not get enough love a few years ago, so I'm happy to see it capture a few votes. This is also our highest vote total on the list thus far.

Spoiler

Edge-of-Tomorrow-Reviews-Starring-Tom-Cr

88.  Edge of Tomorrow - 2014 -  Doug Liman (116 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote - @Jingus - #28
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 90%
Metacritic - 71

What Critics Said? 
The movie has an organic intelligence and a sense that it, too, exists outside of linear time. It seems to be creating itself as you watch it- Matt Zoller Seitz

Unless you possessed the ability of preternatural foresight few would have predicted that the blandly titled, Edge of Tomorrow, would emerge as frontrunner for film of the summer. There was a time, not too long ago, that any film starring Tom Cruise would have been a sure-fire success. However, with a number of disappointments behind him this latest high-concept action movie seemed little more than scheduling fodder to bulk out the blockbuster season between heavyweight sequels and the newest comic book adaptations. How wrong this prediction was.

- Adam Cook

• Like 3

Aside from maybe Scott Pilgrim, it really is the best movie which SHOULD have been based on a video game but somehow wasn't.  It takes full advantage of its "what if one of the rookies in Starship Troopers suddenly had Groundhog Day happen to them on the day of the invasion" gimmick, and is really funny and full of well-timed jokes too.  

I was all in on EDGE OF TOMORROW until the last act when they drop the gimmick and it turns into every other sci-fi actioner.  That dropped it a little bit for me, but it's still really good.  Just not the cult classic (if a $100 million movie could be such a thing) it was on track for.

I was the other vote for Star Trek: Into Darkness joining fellow European,@The Z

Kick Ass was my #42. I like it more than I did but not to the extent others do as reflected by my placement.

The Fighter placed #33 on my list.

On 04/06/2016 at 4:18 PM, EVA said:

I'm with you on Guardians of the Galaxy. one of those films well regarded by the majority, I disagree on. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't even the best comic book film that year.

On 04/06/2016 at 4:33 PM, Chaos said:

It wasn't super intentional, but I think (without looking) that I did not vote for a single comic book film. There's another non-Marvel comic book film that is going to do super well on this list that I absolutely disliked. Kick-Ass was one I just never ended up watching because it just seemed like something I'd be inclined to dislike.

I'm pretty sure I know the film but shan't say it unless you want me to? Your call.

Sadly I wasn't able to watch Edge of Tomorrow.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm pretty sure I know the film but shan't say it unless you want me to? Your call.

I also know what it is. I guess we're co-voters on that one, too.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2016 at 2:46 AM, EVA said:

I voted for it.  Pretty, pretty high, too.

Yeah!

48 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Check back constantly, as I will be updating this throughout the week until it's done beginning tonight.

Yeah again!