DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

I was the second voter for Rango, a funny animated Western. The setpiece to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries made me laugh aloud. The appearance of THAT legend and an all time favourite of mine was the icing on the cake. My #23.

Watched Berberian Sound Studios and it didn't do it for me. I might have watched when I wasn't in the mood.

The Babadook was my #45 so I'm in the minority opinion there.

I see I was the highest voter for Argo. Great film with tension. I was fortunate to see an advanced screening.. Luck was on my side getting those coveted tickets which went just like that. Happy it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. I remember how shocked I and others were with Ben Affleck missing out on a Oscar nomination for Best Director. You fucked up, Academy!

21 hours ago, EVA said:

I bet I know who the other vote for MUCH ADO is!

21 hours ago, The Z said:

I don't think Brian Fowler participated in this project.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If he did - it would have finished a lot higher

Surprise! I joined @Jingus. Much Ado About Nothing placed #37 on my ballot. I had to seek the film out at the cinema as the big cinema chain didn't show it where I live but a smaller/hardcore cinema did. Worth it, I found it funny as others did in the screening.

Spoiler

warrior-movie-wallpaper.jpg

76 (tied).  Much Ado About Nothing - 2011 -  Gavin O'Connor (128 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @SolidGoldBomb  - #18
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 83%
Metacritic - 71

What Critics Said? 

This is a rare fight movie in which we don't want to see either fighter lose.. - Roger Ebert

What Letterboxd Users Said?

Of course the film is undeniably silly, far fetched and occasionally cheesy but Gavin O’Connor and all involved still make you buy into the events and the people on screen so any questions of believability become irrelevant.

.- Adam Cook

Spoiler

Tucker-Dale-Fightent-le-Mal-Affiche-Fran

76 (tied).  Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 2011 -  Eli Craig (128 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Z- #19
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 84%
Metacritic - 65

What Critics Said? 

Craig's film has more unlikely coincidences and miscommunications than an entire season's worth of Three's Company episodes, and it telegraphs its gags just as plainly. But he manages to make it work through a strange alchemy by which two genres that depend on surprise for their effectiveness — horror and comedy — end up benefiting, oddly enough, from seeing each death or laugh coming just before it arrives. You may know as soon as you see Tucker feeding branches into a wood chipper that a college kid is going to end up passing through its maw, but the way in which it happens still elicits both the desired laughs and mild disgust.. - Ian Buckwalter

The other major factor why this film works is because of Alan Tudyk (Tucker) and Tyler Labine (Dale). They have a great buddy chemistry in this film with a great give and take between their two characters. Like I had mentioned before, the film could be called Tucker & Dale's Vacation Home and simply be about these two buddies fixing up the cottage and it would still be highly entertaining.

.- Mr. Dulac

Spoiler

CKY-axwWUAEBIgF.jpg

75.  I Saw The Devil - 2011 -  Jee-woon Kim (130 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote -  @New Blood - #8
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 80%
Metacritic - 67

What Critics Said? 

Director Kim Jee-woon's astonishing story of a serial killer who picks the wrong man's fiancée to murder, is so extreme and intense that it had to be trimmed down in its native country before it was released to theaters. We lucky westerners get to see it in all its hair-raising, stomach-churning glory, and that's a wonderful thing.- Rene Rodriguez - Miami Herald

This may be a tough watch for some, but it's worth it. Think of it as a Korean version of Seven that takes place after the (Seven spoiler alert!) head-in-a-box scene, but Brad's character doesn't just shoot Kevin Spacey, he drags his revenge out over several days.

.- Mark Jewiss

• Like 1

Spoiler

WK-AX898_FILM1_G_20110519174907.jpg

74.  Midnight in Paris - 2011 -  Woody Allen (132 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote -  @Bald Henry - #17
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
Metacritic - 81

What Critics Said? 

The latest in a long line of actors playing a "Woody Allen type" in a Woody Allen film, Wilson bends his own recognizably nasal Texan drawl into an exaggerated pattern of staccatos and glissandos that's obviously modeled on the writer/director's near-musical verbal cadences.- Karina Longworth - Village Voice 

I don't think this is Woody Allen trying to be anything but foolishly and unapologetically in love with Paris and his idols. I applaud him having so much fun with this, and doing it with a lot of tongue in cheek humour. I've re-watched it a few times now and I'm still charmed.

.- Zefuyo

Spoiler

Short%20Term%2012%2003-2.jpg

73.  Short Term 12 - 2013 -  Destin Daniel Cretton (134 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote -  @Bald Henry - #25
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 99%
Metacritic - 82

What Critics Said? 

This is a film about hurt and healing, isolation and fear, need and rage - and it's not just the motley, messed-up crew of 14- and 15-year-olds who are trying to cope, trying to get better..- Stephen Rea

The kind of modest but weighty film that doesn't work at all if one part is off -- one performance too big, one emotional beat too underlined, one plot machination too manipulative. SHORT TERM 12 works. (And yeah, it got a little dusty in the theater at the end.)

.- Filmspotting

On 6/20/2016 at 7:16 PM, Chaos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

warrior-movie-wallpaper.jpg

76 (tied).  Much Ado About Nothing - 2011 -  Gavin O'Connor (128 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @SolidGoldBomb  - #18
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 83%
Metacritic - 71

What Critics Said? 

This is a rare fight movie in which we don't want to see either fighter lose.. - Roger Ebert

Of course the film is undeniably silly, far fetched and occasionally cheesy but Gavin O’Connor and all involved still make you buy into the events and the people on screen so any questions of believability become irrelevant.

.- Adam Cook

It's cheesy, it doesn't really say anything new, it's overwrought and I will watch it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.  The acting is so good, the score is so good, and the central relationship between Hardy and Edgerton is handled with such grace.

Wrestling-wise, were I a WWE writer, I would 100% rip off that last fight to do a Roman Reigns-Dean Ambrose WM match and I would close the show to that song by The National that they use here.  So affecting.

On 6/20/2016 at 7:28 PM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Tucker-Dale-Fightent-le-Mal-Affiche-Fran

76 (tied).  Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 2011 -  Eli Craig (128 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Z- #19
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 84%
Metacritic - 65

What Critics Said? 

Craig's film has more unlikely coincidences and miscommunications than an entire season's worth of Three's Company episodes, and it telegraphs its gags just as plainly. But he manages to make it work through a strange alchemy by which two genres that depend on surprise for their effectiveness — horror and comedy — end up benefiting, oddly enough, from seeing each death or laugh coming just before it arrives. You may know as soon as you see Tucker feeding branches into a wood chipper that a college kid is going to end up passing through its maw, but the way in which it happens still elicits both the desired laughs and mild disgust.. - Ian Buckwalter

The other major factor why this film works is because of Alan Tudyk (Tucker) and Tyler Labine (Dale). They have a great buddy chemistry in this film with a great give and take between their two characters. Like I had mentioned before, the film could be called Tucker & Dale's Vacation Home and simply be about these two buddies fixing up the cottage and it would still be highly entertaining.

.- Mr. Dulac

Watched this for the poll.  It was all right but after a while the whole crux of the film (People not talking or explaining stuff to each other that would have ended all the miscommunication) started to annoy me.  It was the first time I enjoyed a Tyler Labine performance, though, so there's that!

On 6/20/2016 at 7:53 PM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Short%20Term%2012%2003-2.jpg

73.  Short Term 12 - 2013 -  Destin Daniel Cretton (134 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote -  @Bald Henry - #25
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 99%
Metacritic - 82

What Critics Said? 

This is a film about hurt and healing, isolation and fear, need and rage - and it's not just the motley, messed-up crew of 14- and 15-year-olds who are trying to cope, trying to get better..- Stephen Rea

The kind of modest but weighty film that doesn't work at all if one part is off -- one performance too big, one emotional beat too underlined, one plot machination too manipulative. SHORT TERM 12 works. (And yeah, it got a little dusty in the theater at the end.)

.- Filmspotting

Loved this movie.  Then I got to look like a big shot by recommending it to my brother, who often works with children from complicated backgrounds like the ones in the film, and he loved it, thereby making me look like a cool brother AND getting a more authoritative take on the realism of the film.  I think Brie Larson was better in this than she was in 'Room'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caley said:

Loved this movie.  Then I got to look like a big shot by recommending it to my brother, who often works with children from complicated backgrounds like the ones in the film, and he loved it, thereby making me look like a cool brother AND getting a more authoritative take on the realism of the film.  I think Brie Larson was better in this than she was in 'Room'.

I either caught this one right before or right after one of your polls, and it really just worked for me. It was nice to see Gallagher be just as great in 10 Cloverfield Lane this year.

I will aim to get out of the 60s tonight, and then we will knock out most if not all of the top 50 this weekend.

Spoiler

moonrise_kingdom-620x311.png

72.  Moonrise Kingdom - 2012 -  Wes Anderson (134 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote -  @Chaos - #23
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 94%
Metacritic - 84

What Critics Said? 

It's a fable about what it feels like to be 12 years old and afflicted, from head to toe, by a romantic crush the size of a planet..- Michael Phillips

I could talk about how this film's structure finally achieves the blissful melancholy that has been at the heart of all of Wes Anderson's films. I could talk about the precision of his framing and tracking shots, and how often he finds visual comedy through a perfect edit, or the slight entrance of new material into the frame. I could talk about how depressing the film is, the hints of both a traumatizing past, and that in a way, Sam and Suzy try and burn a memory so deep into their minds that they can create a traumatized memory they want to remember (perhaps best seen by Suzy's scream during her ear piercing - "do the other one"). I could talk about how the film's metaphysical elements - the cuts between art and life (a camera dolly back from the binoculars to a stain glass vision of Noah's Ark), Balaban's narrator as weather man, camera man (turn that light on!) and God - creates an element that gives each character a sense that their existence has meaning, even as they feel utterly hopeless to have a purpose in life. I could talk about how snappy the dialogue is, the way how tenuous Sam and Suzy's first day of traveling is, until he finally acknowledges that she is just as pained as he is (Manic Pixie Dream Girl this is not). I could talk about the film's vision of cinematic history, from the French New Wave to Premminger to even Murnau in the steeple climax, adding to the film's magical sense that the past is present and it matters. I could talk about how after all this, when Sam whispers "see you tomorrow," there is a chance that these two will never see each other, that they'll grow old, move on, and feel a bit silly about this adventure they had. And then one day they'll wake up, perhaps also in a disillusioned marriage hoping a storm carries one off, "sucked up into space." But then maybe they'll see a painting of an island, a magical land called Moonrise Kingdom. It was only a fairy tale, but it'll make them smile.

I could talk about all this, but I'd rather just watch this film again. This film is perfect.

.- Peter Labuza

Spoiler

20130312-spring-breakers-624x420-1363116

71.  Spring Breakers - 2013 -  Harmony Korine (136 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote -  @SolidGoldBomb - #9
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 67%
Metacritic - 63

What Critics Said? 

A candy-colored fever dream is the most unforgettable movie of the year so far.- Richard Roeper

like a Ke$ha video directed by Terrence Malick (*Do* The Wonder?), a dubstep belly shot of the american nightmare. Forever.

.- David Ehrlich

• Like 1

Spoiler

dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes.jpg?w=780

70.  Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 -  Matt Reeves (136 Points, 5 Votes)
High Vote -  @The Z- #23
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 90%
Metacritic - 79

What Critics Said? 

Good news – it’s incredible. It sets the standard for blockbuster action movies, and manages to be even better than its predecessor.- Dave McGinn - The Globe and Mail (Toronto)

It has brains and heart to pull us away from a fixation on its narrative clichés, which in the end allows it to be the tense and humane ride it wants to be. The sci-fi platform at its best has always been one of striking intimacy and emotion, and Dawn delivers.

.- Gustav 

• Like 1

Spoiler

2012-01-27-timthumb.php.jpeg

69.  The Grey - 2011 -  Joe Carnahan (140 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote -  @New Blood -  #21
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 79%
Metacritic - 64

What Critics Said? 

What is surprising is how poetic the movie is, partly thanks to its high-lonesome sound design and the desolate beauty of its visuals, but mostly because of its star, Liam Neeson..- Stephanie Zecharek

This is so much more than just men killing wolves . . this is so much more . . A man's unrelenting hope for survival and his basic discontent and displeasure with God.

Liam Neeson screams in anger"Fuck faith,earn it."

I would give 4 stars for that alone.

.- Peaceful Stoner

Given the praise for this one as a genre film that was a pleasant surprise, I'm upset I've never gotten around to see this one.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Chronicle-movie-2012-trailer-clips-.jpg

68.  Chronicle - 2012 -  Josh Trank (144 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote -  @hobo joe - #14
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 85%
Metacritic - 69

What Critics Said? 

First-time director Josh Trank, working from a taut script by Max "Son of John" Landis, indulges in some wild, witty spectacle, but he's equally adept with the tale's grimmer elements, especially when the introverted Andrew unleashes his inner Magneto and uses the city of Seattle as his tear-it-apart emotional playground.
.- Keith Uhlich

Quite possibly the most honest, believable, dare I say authentic…? superhero origin story I’ve watched.

It’s not even the “found footage” angle that makes it feel believable. It’s the great dialogue, good acting, and characters you can identify with – characters whose reactions to supernatural events seem the most… natural.

.- Marcin Wichary

• Like 2

Spoiler

AWARD-WINNER-008.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=for

67.  Citizenfour - 2014 -  Lauren Poitras (148 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote -  @Chaos & @The Natural - #14
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 96%
Metacritic - 88

What Critics Said? 

This is a movie primarily concerned with numbers and the way that information is fed, processed, and acted upon. But it plays like the greatest paranoid thriller since "All the President's Men."
.- Drew Taylor - The Playlist

Citizenfour is a shocking, yet powerful tour-de-force that's impact will reach far past the day or two after you see it. It is a film that could very well impact your thoughts for the rest of your life. I think everyone should see this film regardless of how they feel about Snowden and the Snowden debate.

.- Yours Truly

• Like 1

Spoiler

wreck-it-ralph-review.jpg

66.  Wreck-It Ralph - 2012 -  Rich Moore (150 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @Jingus - #17
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 72

What Critics Said? 

Wreck-It Ralph is pop nirvana, a headlong rush through classic arcade games and Nintendo standards that's not too busy playing spot-the-reference to keep from paying off in laughs and heart.
.- Scott Tobias

A very imaginative and highly entertaining animated film. While it succumbs to the traditional "Disney formula" in the final act, the incredible creativity of Wreck-It Ralph outshines any issues.

.- CT_SexyBeast

I'm not sure this one ages well with repeated viewings, personally. I enjoyed it in theaters but I've seen it a couple of times since then, and it very much sticks to its genre beats. Now, if I had opted to vote to vote for any shorts. The short that airs before this film might actually ranked in my top 20.

Spoiler

Colin-Farrell-Sam-Rockwell-Christopher-W

65.  Seven Psychopaths - 2012 -  Martin McDonagh (152 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #8
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 82%
Metacritic - 66

What Critics Said? 

An energetically demented psycho-killer comedy set in faux-noir L.A., Seven Psychopaths rollicks along to the unique narrative beat and language stylings of Anglo-Irish writer-director Martin McDonagh (In Bruges), channeling Quentin Tarantino.
.- Lisa Schwarzbaum

That's the thing about McDonagh's work: he doesn't just want to make you laugh, he wants to make you feel some genuine emotion and relate to the characters on a primal level. You get it all with Seven Psychopaths. I can't wait to see it again in a couple of weeks!

.- Simone

Well, I somehow still missed two films back to back that catapulted one film into the top 10 and the other film in the top 20. Go figure, hopefully, this is the last of the errors there, but at least it means fewer films for me to have to count down.

Spoiler

life-of-pi-04.jpg

62.  Life of Pi - 2012 -  Ang Lee (160 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @Bald Henry & @The Z - #11
IMDB

Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 79

What Critics Said? 

Pi has designed his own terrarium to keep from staring directly into the abyss. It's not denial. It's faith in something else: the transformative power of storytelling. The film is transcendent.
.- David Edelstein

On an overall scale, under the assured direction of a master filmmaker, supported by an engrossing plot and featuring some truly jaw-dropping moments of beauty & amazement, Life of Pi is a captivating look on religion, faith & nature and is one of the best films of 2012 & certainly the most artistic. In the end, it's gonna leave its viewers with 2 versions of the same story, and whichever version they choose to accept somehow reflects their very own beliefs. Don't miss it.

.- CinemaClown

Spoiler

valentines2.jpg

61.  Safety Not Guaranteed - 2012 -  Colin Trevorrow (160 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote - @S.K.o.S. - #10
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 90%
Metacritic - 72

What Critics Said? 

Part road movie, part romance, part coming-of-age comedy and part something entirely its own, "Safety Not Guaranteed" is an unexpected pleasure.
.- Moira MacDonald

It's a very interesting and original time travel film NOT about time travel but more about why one would want to travel in time and why they probably shouldn't. Go into this expecting a time travel movie, you'll either be disappointed or you'll find a surprising indie with a heart that resonates without the dozens of cliches indie flicks suffer from.

I felt the latter.

It's touching, sweet, witty, and in many places, wonderful.

.- SilentJ

Spoiler

JPBOYHOOD1-master675-v2.jpg

60.  Boyhood - 2014 - Richard Linklater (162 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @SolidGoldBomb - #8
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 98%
Metacritic - 100

What Critics Said? 

"Boyhood" is a stunt, an epic, a home video, and a benediction. It reminds us of what movies could be and - far more important - what life actually is.
.- Ty Burr

I keep reminding myself not to succumb to hyperbole I would later regret, but I can't help what I am about to say because right now, in this moment I believe it: Boyhood is one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

.- shanderson88

Only two votes for this? I don't know if I should be surprised or not.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Ryan+Gosling+i+The+Place+Beyond+the+Pine

59.The Place Beyond The Pines - 2013 - Derek Cianfrance (162 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Z - #8
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 80%
Metacritic - 68

What Critics Said? 

To the film's credit, it's damn near impossible to imagine where The Place Beyond The Pines will end based on where it begins, even though its ever-widening scope causes it to lose some of the grubby intensity of its early scenes.
.- Nathan Rabin

"The Place Beyond the Pines" is a well-crafted, thematically rich piece of work. While the film lacks a narrative symmetry that might make it something for the ages, it is a rewarding experience and deserving of superlatives on nearly all cinematic levels.

.- Travis Lytle

• Like 3

This is one that I have yet to watch, and one I'm sure would have made my list if I had bothered to set aside the 3 hours for it.

Spoiler

216520-bluecolorwarmest.png

57.(TIED) Blue is the Warmest Color - 2013 - Abdel Kechiche (166 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @The Z - #4
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 90%
Metacritic - 88

What Critics Said? 

It's a measure of the honesty and generosity of Kechiche's storytelling that the picture's explicit sexuality and extreme running time feel consistent with his raw, sensual embrace of all aspects of life.
.- Justin Chang

Bold, daring, provocative, charming, sincere, and fuckin' blue, this is by far one of the best films of 2013 and a must see for all fans of great fuckin' cinema.

.- Todd Gaines

• Like 2

I was among the four who voted for The Grey.

Chronicle was my 25th pick. A very good found footage superhero movie.

Happy to tie with @Chaos for Citizenfour's high vote. Citizenfour is a documentary about Edward Snowden and features interviews with him who revealed the spying surveilance programs. I've an interest in freedom vs. security and the right to privacy since I read Nineteen Eighty-Four. For all this, had to watch this film even though it aired at a late time on TV. This won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the Academy Awards the following year.

MOONRISE KINGDOM

I always thought my sister described this film perfectly by saying that it felt like it was written/directed by children.  Arguably the most fun I've ever had with a Wes Anderson film.

SPRING BREAKERS

I've never really "gotten" this one.  Just not my thing, I suppose.

CHRONICLE

I liked this one.  What makes it so baffling is how much better it is than 'Fantastic Four'.  Part of what I loved about 'Chronicle' is that they're genuinely excited to discover/use their powers.  FF doesn't get that, even as characters morosely talk about how "fantastic" it is.

WRECK-IT RALPH

I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other on this one.  I will say that Sarah Silverman was pretty much born to do cartoon voicework.

SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS

I LOVE this movie.  Super meta, but in a fun way.  Incredible Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, and Tom Waits performances.

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED

I also LOVE this one.  A really funny, odd and big-hearted indie comedy.  Mark Duplass and Aubrey Plaza are always good, but  I think Jake Johnson kinda blows everyone away in this one as the most confident person who is actually the most damaged.

BOYHOOD

The stuff that makes the first 30-40 minute of this one so good is also what makes the last whatever kind of a drag.  As kids everything feels really authentic and affecting.  By the time he's a teenager, I just wanted every character in the film to go away.  Patricia Arquette's character who  manages to turn every situation into being about her and is somehow supposed to be the heart of the film really grated on me.

THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES

I probably would have this as one of my fave films ever if it was just about Ryan Gosling's character.  The Bradley Cooper arc is okay but somewhat tedious and kind of grinds the film down to a standstill that it never completely climbs out of, which is a shame because I think the last arc is quite good, too.  Still like it, just not as much as I could have.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, The Z said:

I really don't want to pester you, but is there any chance you will post the remaining results?

Sorry, had some hectic hours as of late between work and personal events. Wife works all weekend, and I'm going to lay low budget-wise.

I'll post a few tonight and will finish this out over the weekend.

• Like 2