DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

I thought Inside Llewyn Davis was the worst movie the Coen Bros have made.  I really wanted to like it, seemed like a recipe for success, i've always liked the Coen Bros movies and i'm into playing live music as well. And the starving artist story can usually provide a rich array of stories and experiences from the funny and surreal to the unbelievable...  but I found that movie to be horribly boring, pointlessly meandering, and full of tired characters and poor music.  It was needlessly somber and depressing, and by the end of the movie I was annoyed and tired of the main character Llewyn and was frankly glad he was never going to make it.  If the point of the movie was for me to hate struggling musicians, or to make me associate them with bums who can't make normal life decisions, then I guess you can call it a success.

Anyone care to explain what they liked so much about it?

On 9/7/2016 at 2:02 PM, SolidGoldBomb said:

I thought Inside Llewyn Davis was the worst movie the Coen Bros have made.  I really wanted to like it, seemed like a recipe for success, i've always liked the Coen Bros movies and i'm into playing live music as well. And the starving artist story can usually provide a rich array of stories and experiences from the funny and surreal to the unbelievable...  but I found that movie to be horribly boring, pointlessly meandering, and full of tired characters and poor music.  It was needlessly somber and depressing, and by the end of the movie I was annoyed and tired of the main character Llewyn and was frankly glad he was never going to make it.  If the point of the movie was for me to hate struggling musicians, or to make me associate them with bums who can't make normal life decisions, then I guess you can call it a success.

Anyone care to explain what they liked so much about it?

It's been since the film's release since I've last seen it, but I really dug Isaac's performance among others in it. I thought the music throughout it was quite good, and it tonally was just a uniquely Coens film. Plus, I thought the ending was a great way of establishing the film as a heightened vicious cycle. It's one I mean to revisit, but I thought it was the best Coen's effort in awhile.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2016 at 3:47 AM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

photo_01.jpg

48. Four Lions - 2010 - Christopher Morris (186 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #4
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 82%
Metacritic - 68

What Critics Said? 

They have made the film with heedless abandon. Its strategy is to regard imbecility with a poker face and permit horrifying acts to occur absentmindedly. Sometimes this is funny and sometimes not at all, but you can't call it boring.
- Roger Ebert

What Letterboxd Users Said?

Who ever thought that a film about fundamentalist terrorists could be so funny, or is my PC-scale way out of sync?

- Peter Rogers

Here's a film that incited a reaction and is one that I'm not sure why I have never watched. Also, if it was shocking that this was made in 2010, I can't imagine this being made beyond 2016. 

I knew for certain @caley would vote for Four Lions and likely be the highest vote for it. Four Lions was my #5 pick. The film was shocking back in 2010 and possibly further still with the climate of 2016. Please check it out, @Chaos.

On 27/07/2016 at 3:54 AM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Batman-vs.-Superman-in-Batman-The-Dark-K

47. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - 2012 - Jay Olivia (192 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @New Blood & @The Natural - #3
IMDB

Given the release of The Killing Joke and various reactions to it, this feels timely. Also (I think,our last film to receive 2 votes). Also, it's worth noting that this released in two parts, but it ended up getting combined into one due to some messaging and MAGIC!  This also isn't getting the RT/Metacritic/Comments treatment just due to minimal content out there. 

There goes my number four. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is up there with the best Batman films either live action, animation or both. The film made me appreciate the source material more. The film does the book justice, the same by accounts doesn’t apply to Batman: The Killing Joke adaptation. Please watch Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

I liked Silver Linings Playbook, funny and touching. It just fell short of the top 25 on my ballot placing #26.

Gone Girl was my #28. I liked how we got one perspective, then the other side and that ending.

On 07/09/2016 at 3:49 AM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Image result for captain america the winter soldier

37. Captain America: The Winter Soldier  - 2014 - Anthony & Joe Russo
(234 Points,  5 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier and it met my expectations considering it was the most I looked forward to a film since The Dark Knight Rises (2012). The story looks at how far is too far against would be threats. The film features a major development for the MCU. Cap’s a badass and there’s great action particularly Cap/Falcon/Black Widow against Winter Soldier and his backup. Good photo pick, @Chaos.

On 07/09/2016 at 3:54 AM, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

Image result for The Avengers Dinner Table

35. The Avengers  - 2012 - Joss Whedon
(242 Points,  5 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #1

I had a blast watching Avengers Assemble as the film is called in England and it’s taken my top spot. The build in five films leading to this bringing the characters together and then assembling the Avengers. Hulk using Loki as a ragdoll is probably the most I’ve laughed at a film in the cinema. This smokes the sequel. I also like the photo chosen by @Chaos.

Expected but disappointed to see Guardians of the Galaxy above Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers Assemble.

Only one film from my top ten is still in play.

I should have voted for The World’s End even though it’s my least favourite of the Cornetto trilogy.

Winter’s Bone dropped from my ballot and with hindsight, that’s a booboo.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see how close we can get to finish this out tonight. I had lost the notes of the high votes, so I redid the next 10. Depending on speed, we may have it all tonight. If not, by Sunday. Our first film was a personal favorite from 2 years ago, and I think ranked fairly high on my top 10 list.

Spoiler

Image result for Only Lovers Left Alive

24. Only Lovers Left Alive - 2014 - Jim Jarmusch (324 Points, 5 Votes)  
High Votes -  @Control #10

• Like 1