DVDVR Message Board

[Best Of] Top 110 Movies of 2010 - 2014

Chaos

Spoiler

hara-kiri002.jpg

57.(TIED) Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai  - 2011 - Takashi Miike (166 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @New Blood - #5
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 79%
Metacritic - 76

What Critics Said? 

Takashi's film is sumptuous, with rich cinematography, costumes and set design. Half the time it is a game of chess - the battle of wits between Motome and the lord. Half of the time it is a moving melodrama.
.- G Allen Johnson - S.F. Chronicle

What Letterboxd Users Said?

Takashi Miike's direction here might be the best of his career. The one scene that is more grizzly then the original film is done so for good reason and doesn't go over the top. The cinematography is gorgeous. Honestly the film is stunning to look at with incredible detail in every aspect imaginable. It will however disappoint those looking for the violence they usually expect from a Miike film, as this is an elaborate samurai drama. The only fault I see here is that it's a remake of a film that was already perfect to begin with.

.- Mr Dulac

I didn't vote for this, but this is one that I remembered people kind of wrote off and passed off as just being okay. I think the other two films have forced people to revisit this one and realize that it's quite a fun, nostalgic ride, but I would probably place this in the discussion with Iron-Man as the best Phase One film.

Spoiler

539w3.jpg

56. Captain America: The First Avenger  - 2011 - Joe Johnston (168 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #6
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 80%
Metacritic - 66

What Critics Said? 

Captain America isn't a masterpiece, but it's a solidly crafted, elegant adventure movie that held my attention from start to finish and sent me out into the street energized instead of enervated.
.- Dana Stevens

I was pretty sure they nailed it when skinny Steve dove onto the grenade. I was sure they nailed it when Cap stops to save the little boy thrown in the water, and the boy shouts up, "Don't worry, I can swim!" Such unabashed old-fashioned earnestness is damn near impossible to perfect in this genre, yet this one hits a tonal home run.

.- Russell Hainline

• Like 1

Spoiler

dredd.jpg

55. Dredd - 2012 - Pete Travis (172 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #12
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 78%
Metacritic - 59

What Critics Said? 

Dredd is proudly degenerate - and it never feels compelled to slow down and explain itself.
.- Village Voice

Possibly the preeminent action film of the decade thus far. Even in its brisk runtime of 90 minutes, it gets a great message across in great style and execution. Like its titular character, it's straight to the point, but not without its intriguing layers. Certainly a film I should have seen sooner.

.- RagingTaxiDriver

• Like 1

Spoiler

x-men_first_class_32.jpg

53 (TIED). X-Men: First Class - 2011 - Matthew Vaughan (174 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #10
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 86%
Metacritic - 65

What Critics Said? 

McAvoy and Fassbender are a casting triumph. These two have, yes, real star magnetism, both individually and together: They're both cool and intense, suave and unaffected, playful and dead serious about their grand comic-book work.
.- Lisa Schwarzbaum - Entertainment Weekly

It is less an X-Men film and more the Erik and Charles show but with Fassbender on such form it is hard to begrudge the lack of focus on the younger members.

.- Adam Cook

• Like 1

You may want to grab a bucket of K Fried C before looking at this one.

Spoiler

072312-killer-joe.jpg

53 (TIED). Killer Joe - 2012 - William Friedkin (174 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @EVA  - #4
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 78%
Metacritic - 62

What Critics Said? 

This is not some nostalgia-soaked throwback to the noir of old, but a rude, shit-kicking thriller that co-opts - and merrily defiles - a classic like "Double Indemnity." Whatever its shortcomings, at least they're never failures of nerve.
.- Scott Tobias

Funny, dark and twisted. Matthew McConaughey's career rehabilitation continues here with a tremendous central performance. Gina Gershon and a hilarious Thomas Haden Church also excel. One thing's for sure, after seeing this you'll never look at a KFC the same again.

- Tim Portis

Spoiler

zero%20dark%2030%20corr%20615%20sony.jpg

52. Zero Dark Thirty - 2012 - Kathryn Bigelow (176 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote - @Chaos - #9
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 92%
Metacritic - 95

What Critics Said? 

From the very first scenes of Zero Dark Thirty, director Kathryn Bigelow demonstrates why she is such a formidable filmmaker, as adept with human emotion as with visceral, pulse-quickening action.
- Ann Hornaday

Liberal junkies will prefer the softer, predictable concessions of Argo. But Zero Dark Thirty is true grit. I heart Kathryn Bigelow and Jessica Chastain for their fearless vision and cinematic leadership.

- Sofa Sinema

Spoiler

XMEN.jpg

51. X-Men: Days of Future Past - 2014 - Bryan Singer (178 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #8
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 91%
Metacritic - 74

I'd be remiss if I didn't share this:

What Critics Said? 

It's a brilliant gameplan for a studio: Manipulate time and space to make the X-Men movies infinitely re-bootable, infinitely re-castable and assuredly profitable, until it sounds like, and is, a kind of prayer: Forever and ever, X-Men.
- James Rocchi - Film.com

On an overall scale, X-Men: Days of Future Past is the most ambitious X-Men film to date & although the stakes are high this time, it manages to work both as an explosive sequel to X- Men: First Class & a highly satisfying conclusion to the previous X-Men chapters. Featuring upgrades in all departments of filmmaking, this latest instalment is one of the most action-packed, relentlessly paced, emotionally gripping & rewarding sequels of its genre and comes highly recommended.

.- CinemaClown

• Like 1

Spoiler

bane-tom-hardy-the-dark-knight-rises-mas

50. The Dark Knight Rises - 2012 - Christopher Nolan (178 Points, 5 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #7
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 78

What Critics Said? 

Retains the moral urgency and serious-minded pulp instincts that have made the Warners franchise a beacon of integrity in an increasingly comicbook-driven Hollywood universe
- Justin Chang - Variety

If I'm being quite honest, this might be my favorite of Nolan's Batman trilogy, mainly because of the sheer scale of it all. Never has a film explored the intertwining relationships and cause/effect of a city like TDKR. It's a story of people, following terrorists, thieves, corrupt government agents, wealthy businessmen, and multiple organizations through a tapestry of pure terror and absolute panic.

- SilentDawn

We're starting to run out of comic book moves, and I'm guessing you all can guess which ones remain. I need to revisit this one, but I felt that this was the best, most engrossing film of the entire trilogy up until the final 30 minutes when I saw this in the cinema. Although, it's seemed a little bit clunkier when I catch pieces of it on cable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:
  Hide contents

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 78

What Critics Said? 

Retains the moral urgency and serious-minded pulp instincts that have made the Warners franchise a beacon of integrity in an increasingly comicbook-driven Hollywood universe
- Justin Chang - Variety

If I'm being quite honest, this might be my favorite of Nolan's Batman trilogy, mainly because of the sheer scale of it all. Never has a film explored the intertwining relationships and cause/effect of a city like TDKR. It's a story of people, following terrorists, thieves, corrupt government agents, wealthy businessmen, and multiple organizations through a tapestry of pure terror and absolute panic.

- SilentDawn

We're starting to run out of comic book moves, and I'm guessing you all can guess which ones remain. I need to revisit this one, but I felt that this was the best, most engrossing film of the entire trilogy up until the final 30 minutes when I saw this in the cinema. Although, it's seemed a little bit clunkier when I catch pieces of it on cable.

Oh, I guess I was wrong then. I thought this was the movie you referred to a few pages back as the Non-Marvel comic book movie you hated, that got a lot of votes.

I certainly know a lot of people on this board hate this movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Z said:

Oh, I guess I was wrong then. I thought this was the movie you referred to a few pages back as the Non-Marvel comic book movie you hated, that got a lot of votes.

Let's just say it finished in the top 10, and I just don't get the glaring love for it.

Also, keep in mind, I don't think I placed a single comic book film in my ballot. I enjoy most of them, but I'm not sure that any of them have achieved "greatness" status from this decade. Granted, I could change my tune on some of these with a revisit and when we do the full decade in 4-5 years.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2016 at 8:06 PM, Chaos said:

Sorry, had some hectic hours as of late between work and personal events. Wife works all weekend, and I'm going to lay low budget-wise.

I'll post a few tonight and will finish this out over the weekend.

Good seeing you,

On 23/07/2016 at 5:44 AM, Chaos said:

I didn't vote for this, but this is one that I remembered people kind of wrote off and passed off as just being okay. I think the other two films have forced people to revisit this one and realize that it's quite a fun, nostalgic ride, but I would probably place this in the discussion with Iron-Man as the best Phase One film.

Hide contents

539w3.jpg

56. Captain America: The First Avenger  - 2011 - Joe Johnston (168 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @The Natural - #6
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 80%
Metacritic - 66

What Critics Said? 

Captain America isn't a masterpiece, but it's a solidly crafted, elegant adventure movie that held my attention from start to finish and sent me out into the street energized instead of enervated.
.- Dana Stevens

I was pretty sure they nailed it when skinny Steve dove onto the grenade. I was sure they nailed it when Cap stops to save the little boy thrown in the water, and the boy shouts up, "Don't worry, I can swim!" Such unabashed old-fashioned earnestness is damn near impossible to perfect in this genre, yet this one hits a tonal home run.

.- Russell Hainline

I liked Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) first time I watched it. Since then its one of those films you appreciate it even more. Out of the Marvel Phase One films I have it behind Avengers Assemble (2012) and Iron Man (2008) in that order.

The same two sentences apply to Dredd (2012). I'm glad I watched it at the cinema as it's one of those films worth seeing in 3D. I bought Dredd the week it came out on DVD. Shame it didn't make more money. Looks like we'll never get the sequel. Give me this over The Raid.

X-Men: First Class (2011) was the kiss of life the series needed. Origin stories is a favourite area of mine seeing the X-Men formation but particularly Charles and Erik's relationship. The scene in the bar, "Frankenstein's Monster" remains a high point from the franchise.

On 23/07/2016 at 3:39 PM, Chaos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 87%
Metacritic - 78

What Critics Said? 

- Justin Chang - Variety

- SilentDawn

Top of my head the comic book movies in play are and apologies in advance, @Chaos if you didn't want me to say:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013)

Avengers Assemble (2012)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

I do hope Guardians of the Galaxy drops soon. One of those films you disagree with the majority on.

Here's where I respectfully disagree with, @Chaos. For me The Dark Knight Rises is the weakest film in the trilogy compared to the excellent Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008).

On 23/07/2016 at 3:51 PM, The Z said:

I know the comic book movie @Chaos doesn't like. The film was brought up in earlier discussions.

On 23/07/2016 at 3:58 PM, Chaos said:

Let's just say it finished in the top 10, and I just don't get the glaring love for it.

Also, keep in mind, I don't think I placed a single comic book film in my ballot. I enjoy most of them, but I'm not sure that any of them have achieved "greatness" status from this decade. Granted, I could change my tune on some of these with a revisit and when we do the full decade in 4-5 years.

Glad to hear that film finished in the top ten! As a fan of comic books, comic book films are a favourite of mine but it doesn't stop me saying what I don't like about them.

Spoiler

Skin_I_Live_In_3.jpg

49. The Skin I Live In - 2011 - Pedro Almodovar (184 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @New Blood #4
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 80%
Metacritic - 70

What Critics Said? 

And while it may be true that Almodóvar doesn't have Hitchcock's way with terror, it's not clear that Hitchcock could leave the real world behind so wholly and convincingly as Almodóvar does here.
- Shawn Levy - Portland Oregonian 

Almodovar has always excelled at creating elaborate plots that still hinge on the relatibility of its characters; as baroque as the film gets, the emotional motivation and pathos of the narrative is consistent. This balance demonstrates how, while a formalist and lover of the melodramatic in his staging, Almodovar is a gifted director of actors.

- Gareth James

As with all films Almodovar, this has been on my list for a very long time to watch,and I've yet to watch it.

Spoiler

photo_01.jpg

48. Four Lions - 2010 - Christopher Morris (186 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #4
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 82%
Metacritic - 68

What Critics Said? 

They have made the film with heedless abandon. Its strategy is to regard imbecility with a poker face and permit horrifying acts to occur absentmindedly. Sometimes this is funny and sometimes not at all, but you can't call it boring.
- Roger Ebert

Who ever thought that a film about fundamentalist terrorists could be so funny, or is my PC-scale way out of sync?

- Peter Rogers

Here's a film that incited a reaction and is one that I'm not sure why I have never watched. Also, if it was shocking that this was made in 2010, I can't imagine this being made beyond 2016. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Batman-vs.-Superman-in-Batman-The-Dark-K

47. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - 2012 - Jay Olivia (192 Points, 2 Votes)
High Vote - @New Blood & @The Natural - #3
IMDB

Given the release of The Killing Joke and various reactions to it, this feels timely. Also (I think,our last film to receive 2 votes). Also, it's worth noting that this released in two parts, but it ended up getting combined into one due to some messaging and MAGIC!  This also isn't getting the RT/Metacritic/Comments treatment just due to minimal content out there. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

jodorowsky-dune-banner-e1392402337448.pn

46. Jodoworsky's Dune - 2014 - Frank Pavich (194 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #11

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 98%
Metacritic - 79

What Critics Said? 

A deeply moving testament to single-minded, indefatigable commitment of creative vision and to an almost spiritual ability to let that vision go, thereby allowing it to exist in the world in an entirely unexpected form.
- Ann Hornaday - WaPo

While I'm not convinced that Jodorowsky would have actually made a great Dune, I definitely want one of those giant books he used to try to sell the project to the studios all those years back. An excellent making-of doc about a film that never was - highly recommended for those who are interested in science fiction filmmaking

- yojrb

• Like 1

Spoiler

incendies.png?w=650&h=350

45. Incendies - 2010 - Denis Villeneuve
(194 Points, 3 Votes)
High Vote - @S.K.o.S. #5

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 92%
Metacritic - 82

What Critics Said? 

It's a powerful, disturbing film. May there be a day when such works seem less relevant
- Tom May - Detroit News

On an overall scale, Incendies is a beautifully crafted, nicely written & strongly performed cinema about love, hate & wars which delivers such a disturbing, distressing & traumatic cinematic experience that it will leave an indelible scar of its own on the viewers' psyche & is a haunting masterpiece in every sense of the word. Definitely amongst world cinema's finest films of the decade, Incendies comes strongly recommended.

- CinemaClown

• Like 1

Spoiler

bridges.jpg

44. True Grit - 2010 - Joel & Ethan Coen
(206 Points, 5 Votes)
High Vote - @Execproducer # 16

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes - 96%
Metacritic - 80

What Critics Said? 

To make a Western now is in itself a subversive act. Improving, embellishing and reclaiming an old-fashioned oater from the vintage studio-cheese bin with such humor and vigor seems truly, truly ballsy.
- David Fear - Time Out New York

Admist the extensive and adventurous narrative is the Coen touch of black twists in humor, the indiscriminate nature of fate and a climax that leaves the hairs on my neck at full attention. Three watches now, and the arc of Mattie Ross still leaves me an emotional wreck.

- Colin the Dude

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll start posting the rest of this tonight. I may take out the RT/Review comments for most of these outside of the top 10 on the way out.

Sorry for the delay. I got a new laptop, and I was traveling over the holiday.

• Like 1

This feels like the one movie I really liked from this director. Also, the only one to get a vote from me. Although, I do want to see if I feel differently about American Hustle a couple of years later.

Spoiler

AR-AA392A_Film__P_20121115191347.jpg

43. Silver Linings Playbook - 2012 - David O. Russell
(210 Points, 4 Votes)
High Vote - @caley - #7

• Like 1