DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Guest Edwin

is it still the deal that, win or lose, Alvarez is done with Bellator after this fight?

I believe so, but Eddie better win it.

Held said he's still fighting on the card and that a replacement opponent was found for him, but he couldn't say who it was. I'm guessing it's Nate Jolly since Ill Will is fighting Chandler now.

If it's an interim title fight, that's like three interim titles Bellator put together in the span of like six months.  One which was completely pointless.  Did UFC ever have that many so close together?

Guest Edwin

Rebney: it's remaining on PPV because it's a PPV-worthy card. It's a must-see event. We've gone from utterly spectacular to spectacular.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/465253855215632384

Brooks: you're a fool if you ask if this is PPV worthy. When u ask this, you're making it sound like you're a cheap ass and devalue fighters

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/465254139220738048

Brooks: you're a fool if you ask if this is PPV worthy. When u ask this, you're making it sound like you're a cheap ass and devalue fighters

Or people don't like spending $50 for 3 hours of entertainment when theres multiple other fight cards on free TV every week.

I think they still have to have Chandler vs. Brooks as the main event since it would still be a 5 round Interim Title Fight and Rampage/Mo would just be a 3 round tournament final.

Called it.  Mo/Rampage is the new headliner.

If you're a sports fan in general like me, there is literally no free week until the end of the NBA Playoffs (or NHL playoffs depending your preference) in mid-to-late June. That is when the boxing networks tend to only have a card every 3 weeks. There is nothing on the Bellator 120 card that makes me not want to flip back between the NBA playoff games and Marquez vs. Alvarado. It went to the level of a card that should be on Spike.

1. Will there ever be someone with a SUMO background to COMPETE in the UFC?

2. "Japanese American Lives" on PBS. Kristi Yamaguchi introduces "Mrs. Judo." "Mrs. Judo: Be Strong, Be Gentle, Be Beautiful" tells the inspiring story of Keiko Fukuda, the first woman in the world to attain a 10th degree black belt. "Mrs. Judo" airs on PBS stations this May as part of the Japanese American Lives series hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi. - -

This relentless push to get on PPV was foolish.  They were nowhere close to the level of being able to put on a big PPV event like this.  They really should've waited.  

These mid level companies always due themselves in trying to compete with UFC.  Like Strikeforce prior to signing Fedor they were churning out a nice solid profit every show because they weren't trying to over expose their product but as soon as they try to play with the big dogs and next thing you know they're going bankrupt. 

I read this the other day and wanted to post about what a good job you did, then i forgot.

After the bellator show in PA last year, i met up w Sean afterwards and spent maybe 20-30 minutes talking soccer, central states wrestling and the bbc.

Always been a cool guy.

1. Will there ever be someone with a SUMO background to COMPETE in the UFC?

Already happened in the early days of UFC. Manny Yarborough and Koji Kitao.

Just spoke to Alvarez. Pretty crazy, said he got knocked out in practice by a head kick before the SECOND Chandler fight. Still fought.

That's wonderful.  Who the hell is throwing headkicks in practice at a guy who's training for a title fight? These guys should be training much smarter.  This topic seems to come up a lot now.  Seems like a lot of camps are moving further away from having the classic practices where dudes just smash each other and get KO'd in practice but it still seems to be an issue in a lot of places. 

• Like 1

They need to go half speed on stuff like that, like throw the kick but come up short just to show that they could've knocked you with a kick in that position without actually doing it.  Just like when you do submissions in practice whenever you get in a sub you don't try to fight out of it, you just tap out and continue sparring. 

If you're getting knocked out by running into someone's hip, which I believe is how he earned his latest concussion, I don't think the commission should be just letting you back into the cage. Mo knocked out Munoz before he fought Hamill and Spong KO'd Cane a month or so before he fought Nedkov. Both of those guys then went out into the cage and got concussed again (rather easily I might add). I know there is the whole never discuss what happens in the gym mentality, but they record these training sessions. I'm sure whatever is on those videos would make a lot of these assigned physicians look like clowns for clearing these fighters bout after bout.