DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

If I was asked to pick the most shocking moment in UFC history, one only.

2-anderson-silva-knockout-best-sports-gi

Other mentions:

Randy Couture knocking Tim Sylvia down in the opening seconds of Randy's return fight.

Matt Serra stopping Georges St-Pierre with strikes to become the new UFC Welterweight Champion. Massive upset.

Gabriel Gonzaga giving Mirko Cro Cop his own medicine, head kick KO.

Anderson Silva ducking and diving against Forrest Griffin putting him down and ending the fight with a punch walking backwards.

Anderson Silva submitting Chael Sonnen with a Triangle Armbar in the fifth round after getting dominated before it.

Frank Mir as the first fighter to submit Big Nog breaking his arm with the Kimura.

Anderson Silva's horrific leg break.

Probably a spoiler because the gif is huge.

Agreed on Cro Cop-Gonzaga. Remember looking at the results on Sherdog and thinking someone screwed up by saying Gonzaga won with a head kick.

Serra tagging GSP and then bum rushing him and never letting up until he was out stunned the hell out of me.

Dos Santos dusting Velasquez in a minute stunned the hell out of me - but Velasquez wiping the mat with him for the next ten rounds was maybe more shocking. Pure, unadulterated dominance.

• Like 1

The Matt Serra GSP KO was a big one but nothing left me more on the edge of my seat and jaw on the floor than the Anderson triangle of Chael.  And it's just because the fight was such a one sided domination up to that point and it was almost over.  I honestly was not all that shocked at the Weidman KO of Anderson because of how the fight had gone up to that point.  Only two guys have fought Anderson that I can remember and not looked visibly scared to the point of completely taking them out of their gameplan and that was Chael and Weidman. 

The only other feeling at a UFC fight that came close to the Anderson triangle was when Randy dropped Tim at the beginning of that first round.  Another one worth mention was BJ choking out Hughes. 

• Like 1

The Weidman win itself wasn't that shocking, just the manner in which it took place, Matt Serra was way more shocking.  Matt Serra was viewed as only getting a title shot because he won a comeback season of TUF after coming up from LW previously in his career.  GSP was the most dominant fighter in his weight class at the time having just recently beaten the previous top guy in the division in Hughes.  And then for Serra to just win that easily in the first round was unthinkable at the time.

So yeah the "most controversial decision in Ultimate figher history" tonight was overblown but a complete joke of a decision.   First of all I can't understand how it made it to the 3rd round.  I guess in Dana's world where all wrestlers suck and are boring I can see it.    Then he is complaining about how there was no warnings by the ref about the 10 to 6 elbows yet he mentioned it 3 times in the first round and twice in the 3rd round.  While some weren't a decent amount were.  Never mind that he held on to the cage a lot and got away with it.   So unless there is a particular phrase that Mazzagatti is supposed to say I don't know what he is talking about.   

And the scoring of the 3rd round apparently is laughable.  How people thought Zapata won that round (or tied after taking away the point) is mind boggling.  Basically you are rewarding him for the same shots that were considered illegal

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Kotani's fighting Norman Parke in his UFC return.

Worse than the TUF decision was Dana. He praised Ian Stephen for blanketing former Bellator champ Lyman Good in the TUF prelims and then he craps on him for doing the same thing to Zapata on the show.