DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Maybe this is just me but my MMA enthusiasm is at an all time low. I went from watching and following pretty hardcore to barely watching and loosely following. I think many things have contributed to this. Bad decisions, hugely disappointing fights, cards and fights constantly changing, over saturation, lack of stars. Really I could go on.

So who's to blame? I love Dana White but he's the head here. You can't really blame him for some of the things I listed. What's the fix?

Everyone is a dickhead. Fighters, fans, Dana, everyone. I saw some people the other day saying Bones is ducking Gus because he wants Cormier first. Because that makes sense. Then you have Dana just doing what the fuck he wants because he's the big dog and nobody else gets to be a star. Most of the champs are boring as shit too.

I had a bit of a downturn in my MMA enthusiasm late last year but after taking a few weeks off I got back into it.  The thing is you don't have to watch every single fight if you don't want to.  Trying to watch every single card whether if it's UFC, WSOF, Bellator, AXS, Titan, OneFC or whatever.  If there is an AXS card where there is only one fight you might be interested in then DVR the event and then just fast forward to that one fight then delete the recording.

I feel the same way dank. I know there are a lot of people that can't get enough but they've burnt a lot of people out as well and they've saturated the market and made their product weaker in my opinion. I personally am not going to pay for fight pass because the exclusive shows are mediocre and they're still putting mediocre shows on tv. For most tv cards now you get a decent main, sometimes a semi decent co main and then some shit where you're thinking "why is this on a main card?" And really there are plenty of times where you hear about a card and say something like "why the fuck is Matt Brown vs Erick Silva a main event fight?" Or they trot out the corpses of two former big name fighters like Hendo and Shogun and put a bunch of garbage fights behind it. If you're putting on shows where there is only one fight that has any real consequence or implication in its division you can't expect me to be excited to watch it. I don't really have the time or want to sit through hours of fights that don't matter whatsoever just to see a fight that kind of matters but only if this one guy wins and if he does he still has quite a way to go type of bullshit.

• Like 1

i will go out of my way to catch the UFC ppvs. the fox cards are a secondary priority so i catch most of those.

fox sports, fight pass, WSOF, i'll download it in the morning and check it out if it sounds good.

Guest Edwin

I mainly just watch UFC PPVs and UFC FOX cards. The rest I try to avoid unless there's a set of fights I'm interested in.

Invicta and a bunch of JMMA cards I'm usually interested in, but Invicta has been away forever it seems and since I moved I haven't stayed up to watch JMMA streams and I'm not really interested in watching late JMMA cards.

Cole Miller has 3 minutes of fighting when he isn't on his back so it all evens out. Pretty sure Brandao would be the favorite if they fought. Stylistically (against McGregor), it makes no difference since neither guy is as good as Holloway.

Quick news:

- Eddie Wineland is considering retirement.

- Nick Diaz said he will fight Anderson if the money is right (meaning probably not).

- Shogun wants to return on the UFC Japan card in September.

- Looks like Zingano will return against Amanda Nunes in September.

- Jon Jones and Malki are meeting with the UFC tomorrow.

- Cormier and Gustafsson are willing to fight for an interim title if it comes down to it.

I'm surprised they haven't signed more Irish fighters leading up to this.

I think they are dead set on letting promotions like Cage Warriors grow them because they aren't too many around. The only other hope is Cathal Pendred. I expect they'll keep Chris Fields after the TUF season ends no matter how he performs. Aisling Daly will probably make it to TUF 20.

They should think about changing the name of this season's Ultimate Fighter to "Dana bitches about wrestlers every week".  every single week it is him bitching about guys doing take downs or not having any heart because I guess they don't fight like Diego Sanchez.  I don't get it

Then I see a crawl at the end on the Fox sports 1 show that says "Chael:  The Next Dana White?" and almost threw up.  Luckily my DVR recording stopped as soon as I saw it.  

Surprised that they didn't try to have Norman Parke turn around and fight on the Ireland card after winning in Berlin.  He's a Nortern Ireland guy but it's still from the same island.

Don't tell that to them.

Well with Jones/Gus now taking place at 178 that leaves 177 without a main event.  WW title probably is out of the line since Hendricks won't be ready by then, let alone you can't have Lawler/Brown fight in late July then expect them to fight for a title a month later.  Probably leaves Dillashaw/Assuncao or Barao as the main event of 177.