DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For April 6, 2016... err... NOW 4/13 SHOW

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

While I don't disagree with that take, it's a bummer that "go away" heat is now a viable commodity in making a heel happen.

I think go away heat is pretty much the only real emotional heat that a heel can get these days.  Guys like Corbin are working heel in a really compelling way, but he still got more cheers than boos in his Takeover match.  He did everything that you want a heel to do, but the fans still liked him, Sampson came out with his guitar and everyone instantly hated him.  Sampson is a guy that seems to like getting booed, and might just be good enough to use his go away heat to his advantage.  

• Like 1

It's the logical end consequence of the death of kayfabe. Owens can "try to end Sami Zayn's career" all he wants, call him names on Twitter, et cetera, maybe he can get me to boo him in the moment, but at some point I'll remember it's a work and he's really good at his job and he's friends with him off-camera. 

NXT stumbled into something with Eva Marie, and I think attempted to consciously recreate that, minus actually being terrible at wrestling, with Samson. 

It isn't just go away heat though, because Sampson is becoming better at taking that heat and making it legit it.  The way he'll shush the crowd when they start to boo, or just stand in the ring for a moment looking around at the crowd are purposeful things he's doing to generate heat.

Also, NXT posted a video on Twitter of him coming to the ring through the crowd, so he's even working more aspects of being a drifter into his act.  We're one step closer to the Hobo Army!

Yeah, I think they legitimately asked themselves what character can we create that will make everyone hate him.  Someone spoke up and said, "Did any of you ever have a douchebag with a guitar at your high school?  That guy who learned how to play 3 chords and every girl you liked acted like he was fucking Jimi Hendrix.  He wore a scarf in the summer and looked like he hadn't showered in two weeks."  Then everyone in the room looked at him and said, "Yeah, I hated that dude."  Then we got the "The Drifter" Elias Sampson, and everyone immediately wanted to punch him in the face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I think they legitimately asked themselves what character can we create that will make everyone hate him.  Someone spoke up and said, "Did any of you ever have a douchebag with a guitar at your high school?  That guy who learned how to play 3 chords and every girl you liked acted like he was fucking Jimi Hendrix.  He wore a scarf in the summer and looked like he hadn't showered in two weeks."  Then everyone in the room looked at him and said, "Yeah, I hated that dude."  Then we got the "The Drifter" Elias Sampson, and everyone immediately wanted to punch him in the face.

You have just described Chris Jericho NOW minus the guitar.

• Like 3

Elias Samson's drifter character improved massively when it became clear that the whole character is a troll of the audience, which honestly I don't think that they were shooting for at first. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Do you think these guys really want Eva Marie to go away?  I think booing her is part of the show now.

Actually I do. I think the only thing they would rather see her do is get beat up by Asuka.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2016 at 7:41 PM, Ramsey said:

Actually I do. I think the only thing they would rather see her do is get beat up by Asuka.

Which is why it's going to be glorious when Eva Marie eventually pins Asuka clean after Sliced Red

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Which is why it's going to be glorious when Eva Marie eventually pins Asuka clean after Sliced Red

Also known as the "Honky Tonk Over Steamboat Gambit."

On 4/11/2016 at 9:01 AM, supremebve said:

I think go away heat is pretty much the only real emotional heat that a heel can get these days.  Guys like Corbin are working heel in a really compelling way, but he still got more cheers than boos in his Takeover match.  He did everything that you want a heel to do, but the fans still liked him, Sampson came out with his guitar and everyone instantly hated him.  Sampson is a guy that seems to like getting booed, and might just be good enough to use his go away heat to his advantage.  

That's the problem though- since "go away heat" managed to devolve as kayfabe died from "The crowd hated X-Pac so badly they'd chant X-Pac Sucks! in random matches that had nothing to do with him, and made him the only WWF-aligned heel in the InVasion (while anointing Billy Kidman as one of the only two Alliance-allied faces, in large part because Kidman was the guy who was feuding with X-Pac)" and slowly devolved to "I personally don't enjoy the performances of this bad guy, so it's obvious everyone else in the arena must genuinely dislike this heel as a performer too!  It's clearly go away heat!". Samson's good at taking the gimmick down to a level anyone can boo it as "that douchebag with a guitar" and make the heat work for him, to turn "go away heat" into genuine heel heat like most of the worst go away heat victims (Bo Dallas, Eva Marie) did in their development. Even if the crowd disliked him, it's starting to work for Samson as a heel.

...so watch in about a month or two as Full Sail eats No Way Jose alive and it becomes clear that Samson's go away heat is "No, Full Sail are just spoiled entitled babies who want NXT to be their super-indy clubhouse with only indy darlings, Chad Gable is their "one homegrown friend" they point to so they can say they aren't instantly biased against non-indy darlings, and that caused the Go Away Heat Samson gets."

7 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Looks like they're showing everything out of order from the Axxess tapings spoilers.

Yup - just figured that out.

Fixing now

• RIPPA locked this topic