DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2016 - ULTIMATE SURVIVAL

RIPPA

Are there more Virus matches I should be watching before voting outside of the Cerebro, Dragon Lee, and the March 3rd 6 man from last year? Was he not featured much this year? Any hidden gems?

Because I dig Kyle O'Reilly a lot and it's going to take a lot for me to not vote for him.

Gotta be honest, as someone who really loves Pentagon, I'm not sure what argument he has against Bayley other then "But look at how badass he is!". Which isn't really a BAD argument per say, but still.

I don't think any of the NXT matches are serious MOTYCs and if it comes down to me having no soul and liking Pentagon bloodbaths more than Bayley hugging with her opponent after the match-so be it. I think their best work is around the same level but I probably liked Pentagon-Vampiro more than anything Bayley did. If only I could make myself watch AAA....

I'll strongly disagree that Bayley/Sasha 1, at least, isn't a MOTYC. The second one had more holes in it and I'd understand that argument, but the first one? Yeah, that's just an outstanding match that tells a great story.

To be fair-I really liked it. It's almost certainly a top 5 WWE 2015 match for me, possibly top 3. It's just a matter of comparing that to everything else going on in the world. To me Bayley and Sasha are closer to Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai than they are "best wrestler in the world" status (which would be around where I would put Meiko Satomura).  I really like Becky but there is some main roster matches of hers I'd like to catch up on before making a call on where I'd place her.

The biggest surprise to me when filling out my bracket with what I think will happen is somehow Corbin ended up in the elite eight.

And I don't even mean that as a slight on Corbin at all. 

Are there more Virus matches I should be watching before voting outside of the Cerebro, Dragon Lee, and the March 3rd 6 man from last year? Was he not featured much this year? Any hidden gems?

Because I dig Kyle O'Reilly a lot and it's going to take a lot for me to not vote for him.

Negro Casas, Guerrero Maya Jr., Esfinge vs. Virus, Bobby Zavala, Disturbio - CMLL - 24.07.2015.

Virus vs Guerrero Maya - Chilanga Mask - 14.8.2015.

this year he has neat sprints vs. Dragon Lee and Liger from Fantasticamania.

• Like 1

Yeah, rewatching Pentagon/Vampiro now, and without going into huge details, this match fucking rules, and it is NOT a carry job, it was also a career performance from Vampiro at the age of 48.

I agree. I don't think it's a carry job either but Pentagon put in a star making performance that I would probably put at the top of my list for best efforts in a single match within the eligibility window. Vampiro had broken down old man Dusty Rhodes charisma going on, but with more theatrics. He was fucking great for what everybody was expecting. I'm a massive Vampeeero fan but that match was built around making Pentagon and it succeeded so, so, so much on that level.

Also, I almost forgot about the BOLA performances from Pentagon because I was focusing so much on LU. The tag match and ZSJ matches were spectacular. He also had a really good match with Hero in Chicago.

The biggest surprise to me when filling out my bracket with what I think will happen is somehow Corbin ended up in the elite eight.

Man, I think Corbin doesn't even get past Kenny Omega, who probably had his least "God this guy just annoys teh fuck out of me" year" Even further, you would have him getting past Meiko and Thatcher, and I don't see that.

• Like 1

Kyle has the movez 4 you but the whole doughboy thing is not endearing.  There is something about his face that is really unnerving.

Man, I think Corbin doesn't even get past Kenny Omega, who probably had his least "God this guy just annoys teh fuck out of me" year" Even further, you would have him getting past Meiko and Thatcher, and I don't see that.

Well, again, what I think will happen. As in, "I watch NXT, who are these losers?"

Just going by this thread, this tournament is gonna be a lot of fun.

Sexy Star looks like she's having fun. That's for sure. 

73D8NO.gif

(Seriously, how is there so much footage for me to draw on here? What the heck are you doing, Lucha Underground bookers?)

I seriously doubt Kenny Omega will move past Corbin. At least I hope he won't. GO BACK TO ROH

Kyle has the movez 4 you but the whole doughboy thing is not endearing.  There is something about his face that is really unnerving.

You're going to vote against a guy because you don't like how he looks? I mean, I guess... He did a comedic  shout out to my town last month. MEAN STREETS OF NORTH DELTA, Y'ALL. He is great.

I'm redoing the bracket and I honestly don't know what to do about Shinsuke vs. Owens. Becky vs. Thatcher, Dean vs. Omega, the entire Virus/KOR/ZSJ portion, Roddy's bracket, and Speedball vs. AJ are all really tough choices. When I try and pick as the board would do, it becomes a bit clearer but still... Roderick had a tremendous year, the best of his career and was a top 5 wrestler from the promotions I watch, but there's a built-in hatred for him (somewhat deservedly) that I could see him being donezo in the first round much less the second against Buh-rock. Chris Hero is in a similar boat where he's not a lot of people's cup of tea and HE'S FAT, but he's also had a sweet year on the indies. Marty Scurll is another divisive guy. A lot of people don't like his schtick and I get that but he impresses the heck out of me.

The thing is we are already getting pumped for Bayley/Pentagon when we have shit like Maximo vs. Suzuki, Cena vs. La Sombra, Jimmy Rave vs. Fenix, Callihan vs. Okada, Strong vs. Hechicero, Akiyama vs. Cesaro, and the Queen of the Elbow Drop vs. Trevor Lee coming up in the next 2 days. This could get heated quick.

Cena vs Sombra is problematic. I figured the board would go with Cena, but Sombra had a better year. 

Strong vs Hechicero is a hot mess. 

Someone should be posting reviews of the recent Callihan matches. Or links to them, or something.

You're going to vote against a guy because you don't like how he looks? I mean, I guess...

His training and mentorship by Davey Richards is very evident and not in a good way.

• Like 1

The thing is we are already getting pumped for Bayley/Pentagon when we have shit like Maximo vs. Suzuki, Cena vs. La Sombra, Jimmy Rave vs. Fenix, Callihan vs. Okada, Strong vs. Hechicero, Akiyama vs. Cesaro, and the Queen of the Elbow Drop vs. Trevor Lee coming up in the next 2 days. This could get heated quick.

I know, right? I'm gonna have to binge watch a bunch of the guys found on Cubs' MOTY lists so I'm not completely ignint about the loocher outside of a few of the bigger matches and LU.

KoR doesn't wrestle like Davey fucking Richards. He builds up spots and sells in-between. Richards does neither of these things.

The problem with a lot of indy dudes is that their matches can't be found online for free. Low Ki has these MOTYC people are hyping but do I really want to drop more than $20 on a JAPW show to find out if I agree with them? I wouldn't even get the DVD before that round is over.