DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

So Clarkson is only suspended 10 regular season games & can still play 3 pre-season games this week including tonight. I wonder what happens if he gets "injured" tonight and the Leafs are "forced" to put him on the IR which in turn would free up much needed cap space...

So Clarkson is only suspended 10 regular season games & can still play 3 pre-season games this week including tonight. I wonder what happens if he gets "injured" tonight and the Leafs are "forced" to put him on the IR which in turn would free up much needed cap space...

Cant IR a guy that is going on suspension

You can.

Teams are eligible to receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. In such cases, the team can place the player on long-term injured reserve (LTIR).

#boom

Darnell Nurse (this year's 7th overall pick) is making a really serious push to make the Oilers, and not in an ironic "haha Edmonton needs a child defenseman" way either. Very impressive preseason he's had. He honestly looks like one of those players where more junior hockey is a redundant thing, even if in theory it's what you should want to do with him. EDIT: He is going back to junior but it was a great camp. Seems a lock for the world junior team.

You can.

Teams are eligible to receive cap relief when a player is considered to have a "bona-fide long-term injury" — injuries that cause a player to miss at least 10 games or 24 days. In such cases, the team can place the player on long-term injured reserve (LTIR).

#boom

In the old CBA you could pull that one.  In the new CBA if a player say David Clarkson sustains an injury and will miss 20 games the 10 game suspension he is serving will still count against the cap.  Then you could put him on LTIR.  #doubleboom.  And I am not talking out my ass since this very scenario was brought up on the radio today many times.