DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

I was thinking about the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game for whatever reason, and trying to think of what would be the coolest place for them to hold future WC's.  Notre Dame Stadium is the thing that popped into my head, Blackhawks would be probably be the host team since they're the closest team to it.  But since a lot of Chicago fans are also Notre Dame fans it would probably draw a huge crowd, have them go against the Red Wings whose fanbase would also be within reasonable driving distance of the game.  You could also do Ohio Stadium in Columbus but that would require putting the Blue Jackets in a high profile game when they're not one of the main marquee hockey teams.  I mean it could still be done with the Blue Jackets but the other team definitely would have to be a big name team like the Red Wings or Penguins.

So those Florida hockey fans eh?

From the Florida Panthers preseason opener this afternoon

Posted Image

I would've thought the possibility of a Tim Thomas sighting would spur them on but...no.  Apparently they advertised in advance that parking for the event would be $20 and wonder if that scared the few Florida fans away.

BTW, Thomas in Florida tomorrow is a go.  Also, Florida has invited Tom Gilbert, but he hasn't accepted yet.

Posted Image

Who the hell schedules a game for Monday AFTERNOON? As part of a doubleheader, no less?

Was at Flyers home preseason opener last night vs Caps. Game was a little sloppy but entertaining with the Caps winning 4-3 in the Gary Bettman Skills Competition. Most notable thing was Wayne Simmonds getting 3 minor penalties on the same play, resulting in the rarely seen 6 minute PP. Also notable was the price of everything at the Wells Fargo Center was jacked up, which was apparently Ed Sniders way of rewarding fans for suffering through a non-playoff season.

My fantasy hockey keeper league which is going into its 6th season has an available team if anyone here is interested. We're a 16 team 8 player keeper league with some pretty dedicated GMs. Last season we had all 16 GMs return and this season I've only had to replace two, this being the second. The roster you'd be inheriting is not bad at all, and has some strong goaltending options in particular which is a position that comes at a premium in a league like this. If you think you'd like to join send me a PM and I'll send you the roster and an invite. We have our draft scheduled for next Wednesday night and the open team has the 7th pick.

Posted Image

And 2 of the people there were my best friend growing up in Lake Carmel and his son.

The Wash Post is reporting that DC will host the 2015 Winter Classic. They have no further details than that (location, Caps opponent).

The Caps have an announcement scheduled for tomorrow afternoon

One would assume it would be at Nats Park but who knows.