DVDVR Message Board

NHL Offseason Part 2

Death From Above

Didnt people suggest years ago they could do it at the Mall

Yes and Leonsis ruled that out. (The article in the Post referenced that.)

In January 2012, Leonsis wrote on his blog that the Mall would not be a location option for a Classic in Washington.

“The idea of a game being played on the Mall has been floated around for many years – it is NOT feasible; there aren’t enough common areas to build out seats,” Leonsis wrote on Jan. 3, 2012. “And the expense involved to create locker rooms; ice stands and studios are prohibitive. The Mall is managed by the National Park Service, as well.”

Also people suggested playing the game in Baltimore for some reason...

I had the game on in the background while watching UFC... I cannot believe Ryan Smyth is still an active player in the NHL.

Vancouver sure did look to be gooning it up. I hated the Weise hit on Hall, head hunting 101. Turned it off haflway through. Hopefully this is a case of preseason games being meaningless. Hopefully...

John Scott just attacked Phil Kessel. Way to go, Buffalo! Clarkson will get suspended 10 games for jumping off the bench to defend Kessel. Then Bernier beat the shit out of Ryan Miller. But yeah... 10 games for something John Scott does? Fuck pre-season.

EDIT: Kessel did end up fighting someone on Buffalo and beat him up good. Drew blood!

10:01 TOR J. Devane Fighting - 5 min against C. Tropp10:01 BUF C. Tropp Fighting - 5 min against J. Devane10:01 TOR P. Kessel Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR A. MacWilliam Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR T. Bozak Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR D. Clarkson Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR J. Bernier Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR T. Brennan Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF B. Flynn Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF M. Zigomanis Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF C. Ruhwedel Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF J. Scott Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF R. Miller Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR D. Clarkson Leaving player's/penalty bench - 10 min10:01 BUF D. Bagnall Fighting - 5 min10:01 TOR C. Ashton Fighting - 5 min10:01 BUF J. Scott Slashing - 2 min against P. Kessel10:01 TOR P. Kessel Slashing - 2 min against J. Scott10:01 TOR J. Bernier Goalie leave crease - 2 min against R. Miller10:01 BUF J. Scott Instigator - 2 min against P. Kessel10:01 BUF R. Miller Goalie leave crease - 2 min

Damien Cox is pretty much the worst human being on earth who only has a job b/c of the stupid shit he writes for people to laugh at but he basically nails it tonight:

Scott would be one who would tell us all about the importance of the "code." Then he jumps a non-fighter. All hypocrisy.

I blocked Damien Cox on twitter 5 minutes after I signed up for it.

This sort of sums him up though. He can reach the low hanging fruit because it's close by for him but so what?

BTW John Scott is a serious turd. That was pretty bad, up there with the dude that took a run at elbowing Taylor Hall in the face for no reason last night. Good for Kessel for trying to slash the fuck out of him, really.

• Like 1

Speaking of MacIntyres - in reading the story about the brawl it said that Jonathan Bernier was replaced by Drew MacIntyre

I was like WTF???

Then I realized it was the non-3MB version and was sad

I was thinking about the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game for whatever reason, and trying to think of what would be the coolest place for them to hold future WC's.  Notre Dame Stadium is the thing that popped into my head, Blackhawks would be probably be the host team since they're the closest team to it.  But since a lot of Chicago fans are also Notre Dame fans it would probably draw a huge crowd, have them go against the Red Wings whose fanbase would also be within reasonable driving distance of the game.  You could also do Ohio Stadium in Columbus but that would require putting the Blue Jackets in a high profile game when they're not one of the main marquee hockey teams.  I mean it could still be done with the Blue Jackets but the other team definitely would have to be a big name team like the Red Wings or Penguins.

Notre Dame Stadium ONLY hosts Notre Dame football. The Chicago Bears were prepared to pay the school millions and the university turned it down. U2 said they would do their concert free of charge and free tickets for everyone if they could play Notre Dame Stadium, and the Brothers of the Holy Cross said no, and U2 wound up playing the tiny JACC (where the ND basketball games are played and hockey games used to be played).

Oilers have signed Steve MacIntyre AKA that giant ogre dude who pummeled a Calgary player unconscious early in the year a few years back then basically we couldn't use him any more.

Dallas Eakins: "I'm sure Mr.MacIntyre will help the other team keep their sticks down."

How does this fit with MacT and Dallas Eakins being smarter and more progressive than everyone in hockey???

So Kassian got rest of preseason + 5 regular season games for the high stick (which was likely accidental though reckless), Weise got rest of the preseason for an intentional elbow that missed.

Sort of sums up NHL discipline. Severity of injury overriding all else. Well, at least they are consistent about that but it does bother me at times. The elbow honestly bugged me a lot more because it seemed clearly premeditated, where as the stick was just "a thing that happened".

• Like 1

The five games reeks of one of those suspensions that will now annoyingly brought up for the next few years whenever the NHL goes light on something very obviously intentional. 

Kassian getting 2 games for being reckless would have been fine with me.  He was going for a big hit, he realized he wasn't going to hit Gagner so he tried to spin and go into the boards back first instead of shoulder first.  His stick came around and cracked Gagner in the face because he's a clumsy oaf.