DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

On 6/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, RIPPA said:

As opposed to being a recovering drug addict/alcoholic who stills get paydays because he wrestled in the WWE 20 yrs. ago?  I wouldn't be throwing stones if I was Hall.  Sure, Rev Pro is probably booking Vader because of the Twitter comments, but that's one booking.  I'd guess Hall's gotten at least one or two booking over the years because the promoter thought he might show up intoxicated and do something outrageous to get the promotion noticed.

Chapter 33 just got a whole lot better with the latest match announcement. Haskins-Ospreay in a number 1 contenders match, along with Riots-War Machine and Pastor-Scurll title rematch, going to be a great show..

Progress have put the full Jack Gallagher vs Pete Dunne WWE CWC qualifier up for free on their YouTube. Really good match, loved the mat work by both guys. Great dynamic between the characters, with Gallagher oozing confidence and charisma and Dunne as the frustrated aggressor. Honestly, the transformation of Pete Dunne from mild mannered blue-eye to sneering Brummie lunkhead has improved him no end, and I thought he was pretty great before.

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

Progress have put the full Jack Gallagher vs Pete Dunne WWE CWC qualifier up for free on their YouTube. Really good match, loved the mat work by both guys. Great dynamic between the characters, with Gallagher oozing confidence and charisma and Dunne as the frustrated aggressor. Honestly, the transformation of Pete Dunne from mild mannered blue-eye to sneering Brummie lunkhead has improved him no end, and I thought he was pretty great before.

I love Dunne as "The Bruiserweight".  I think that character would get him a lot farther in the WWE than Gallagher would go.  Of course, both guys are great in the ring.

I like Gallagher but I don't see the potential in him that some do.  Nothing about his style or charisma makes me think he'd translate well to the WWE's main roster (assuming they really are that interested).  I kinda feel like he's already hit his ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...

What Culture Pro Wrestling is running their first live stream today (5 PM EST/10 PM UK)

- Rampage vs Big Damo for the WCPW World Title
- Jay Lethal vs Noam Dar for the ROH World Title
- Joe Coffey vs Primate: No Holds Barred
- El Ligero vs Martin Kirby
- Joe Hendry and Joseph Conners vs Prospect
- Gabriel Kidd vs Prince Ameen

• Like 1

Really good line up for that show, though I've really struggled with WCPW due to the horrible commentary and obnoxious What Culture personalities. Still, Rampage/Damo should be great, I've never seen a bad Kirby/Ligero match, and it's great to see a local talent in Gabriel Kidd getting a spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...

wXw has a 3-day Tag Team Tournament at the end of September/beginng of October and it sounds amazing so far. Teams announced:

1. LDRS (Zack Sabre Jr & Marty Scurll)
2. Los Guerros del Cielo (Jack Evans & Angelico)
3. Death by Elbow (Chris Hero & JT Dunn)
4. Just My Luck (Shane Strickland & David Starr)
5. Mustache Mountain (Tyler Bate & Trent Seven)
6. Cerberus (Ilya Dragunov & Julian Nero)
7. Either Timothy Thatcher & Big Daddy Walter or Marius Al-Ani & Absolute Andy (will be determined on a show prior to the tournament, but I think it's safe to say it will be Walter & Thatcher)
8. Will be determined in a Tag Team Gauntlet

I think that's almost a better line-up than even 16 Carat Gold earlier this year. I really should find a way to go to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, when did What Culture become such a prominent name in wrestling (as in running shows and becoming a go-to news site)? I used to write for them about four years ago when I was out of uni and needed to build up an article portfolio/didn't care what pence-per-word rate I was being paid and wrestling wasn't a part of the website at all. Crazy 

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Going by some British Indies Facebook posts it would appear Big Damo is finishing up and heading to NXT which should be pretty sweet.  

Damo signed at the same time as Dar and End did so that has been given for awhile

But yeah - the last few weeks have his goodbyes - like his match with Galloway is "his last Scottish match"

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, Oyaji said:

I find Damo hit or miss. Sometimes he gets too cute instead of being a big hairy dude that smashes people. I would think Bloom and Triple H would get him to cut the cutesy crap out.

Oyaji, do you have The Fight Network? I got to see some of Damo's ICW work, and he was mostly a big hairy dude beating the fuck out of people.

If you don't have Fight Network, you need to get it to watch ICW every week. Those crazy Scottish bastards have surpassed NXT as my favorite wrestling show each week.

I don't. I probably should, but I don't. If TNA survives the week, I'll sign up. I have New Japan World and get ROH TV through an ABC affiliate, so there's not a tonne of stuff on there I'm clamoring to see other than ICW. They've got lots of talent I'd like to see more of, particularly Kay Lee Ray and Chris Renfrew. Is this Wolfgang dude any good?

I've seen maybe two of Damo's ICW matches and I think a few from Progress but I'm mostly going from his matches in Rev Pro. His version of the One Winged Angel is fugly and not a move a big hairy bastard should be doing. My favourite spot from a Damo match I've seen his Tanahashi pulling on his back hair. 

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is this Wolfgang dude any good?

Not particularly. Seen him a few times, and he's never better than solid.

Quite a fun weekend of BritWres coming up, as Southside are running their annual Speed King tournament only a 10 minute walk from my house. Good line up this year, with a mix of good British guys (Ospreay, Martin Kirby, Bubblegum) and some fun imports (Callahan, Fenix, Lio Rush). Also, there's a tag match scheduled featuring, of all people, Melina. Should be a good show, also looking forward to the day show, which has a Stixx vs Fenix match booked.

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't. I probably should, but I don't. If TNA survives the week, I'll sign up. I have New Japan World and get ROH TV through an ABC affiliate, so there's not a tonne of stuff on there I'm clamoring to see other than ICW. They've got lots of talent I'd like to see more of, particularly Kay Lee Ray and Chris Renfrew. Is this Wolfgang dude any good?

I've seen maybe two of Damo's ICW matches and I think a few from Progress but I'm mostly going from his matches in Rev Pro. His version of the One Winged Angel is fugly and not a move a big hairy bastard should be doing. My favourite spot from a Damo match I've seen his Tanahashi pulling on his back hair. 

Fight Network is bundled with all of the Sportsnets on my cable package, so I will have it forever. They air AAA, CMLL, Paragon Pro, British Wrestling Weekly, and Wrestlecentre from Halifax as well.

Wolfgang is at best the third best guy in his faction (he's with Drew Galloway and Bram). The way he won the title made me hate him though, so I guess that's good.

Kay Lee Ray is crazy. She takes some sick bumps working against the men. Renfrew has been doing a suspension angle since ICW started airing on Fight Network, so I have not seen much of his work. The one match of his I remember was a rounds match, where they had to do shots between rounds.

My favorites in ICW are the Local Fire, DCT and Galloway & Bram as dick heels.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally speak in glowing terms about ICW, but they spoiled the result of the upcoming (on television, anyway) tag team championship match with a graphic for their upcoming show at the Hydro. Bit of a fuckup, but something that should have been caught by the production team.