DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

FYI for people in the US wanting to check out PROGRESS: Highspots has begun carrying PROGRESS shows.  They started stocking Chapters 27, 28, & 29 this week.  Hopefully, they get the older shows too.

Or you could just subscribe to PROGRESS' streaming service, which is what i do (and is probably the better deal).  Either way, I'm all for anything that gets PROGRESS more attention.

A bit random, but my Mother was at a wedding the other day. It turned out that one of the bridesmaids was one Zoe Lucas:

Her boyfriend, Rev:Pro regular James Castle, was also at the wedding, disappearing and reappearing due to main-eventing against Bram at the Portsmouth Guildhall show. But the point is that my Mother was actually YouTubing UK wrestling, which is very much something that I thought would never ever happen. Strange days.......

• Like 2

It doesn't air at all in the UK, they used to have a show on some obscure satellite channel a few years back. That's actually when I first saw them, some guy getting suplexed through an ironing board is all I really remember. Seemingly they're getting good ratings in Italy though.

Well damn. Main event was Chris Renfrew vs DCT in a "Scottish World of Sport" match, which meant they each (and the random ref) had to do a shot of Jack Daniels after every round.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

It doesn't air at all in the UK, they used to have a show on some obscure satellite channel a few years back. That's actually when I first saw them, some guy getting suplexed through an ironing board is all I really remember. Seemingly they're getting good ratings in Italy though.

Speaking of obscure channels, has anyone ever heard of the FightBox HD channel?

I only know of it, because a German promotion announced last week that they struck a deal with that network. Apparently the channel is available in the US, the UK and many other countries. According to their website they also show NJPW, ROH, Osaka Pro and Oz Academy, so it's weird that I've never heard of it.

2 hours ago, The Z said:

Speaking of obscure channels, has anyone ever heard of the FightBox HD channel?

I only know of it, because a German promotion announced last week that they struck a deal with that network. Apparently the channel is available in the US, the UK and many other countries. According to their website they also show NJPW, ROH, Osaka Pro and Oz Academy, so it's weird that I've never heard of it.

I'd never heard of it either, but looking at it, it seems it's no longer on the channel list for the UK handler, which is still operating in liquidation. The provider in Germany and Sweden - Magine - looks to be a better established outfit though.

13 hours ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

I always loved that they had a wrestler called D.C. Thomson, such a stupid little thing. Is he still doing the "International sex hero" bit?

He was on this show.

I just watched the Angle vs. Sabre Jr. show and it was as awesome as expected. Pretty much every match delivered. Ospreay vs. Bailey is yet another MOTYC for Ospreay.

I'm not usually amongst the people, who complain about crowds and the crowd for this show was mostly great, but I have a small request for British audiences in general:

Could you please finally stop doing that thing where you count one step ahead of the referee during countouts? I'm sure this used to be funny once upon a time, but it's really become super annoying.

• Like 1