DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

He wasn't shaken enough to stop training. If you're that shook up, it would probably be best to delay training for bit and head home for 2-3 weeks. It's not like he didn't have the time.

• Like 1

Maybe Diaz isn't the fight he wants and the narrative that he asked for this rematch and asked for it at welterweight is just pretense so they could book a rematch for UFC 200.  Maybe Diaz still wants the fight against Dos Anjos that's what's upsetting him.

I honestly have no idea, but IMHO that's more feasible than just saying I want $10 million.

Or maybe he's just feeling really humbled and depressed that he lost.  Maybe Diaz took his fighting mojo.

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe Diaz isn't the fight he wants and the narrative that he asked for this rematch and asked for it at welterweight is just pretense so they could book a rematch for UFC 200.  Maybe Diaz still wants the fight against Dos Anjos that's what's upsetting him.

I honestly have no idea, but IMHO that's more feasible than just saying I want $10 million.

Or maybe he's just feeling really humbled and depressed that he lost.  Maybe Diaz took his fighting mojo.

Conor is the only one who wanted the fight with Nate again. The UFC wanted to move on from that fight. He got the fight and got it at welterweight. If that was anyone else, he or she would have been brushed aside. They settled with him and got to him to agree to possibly fight the next guy at FW down the road. As much they want to book superfights or whatever, they don't let fighters hold up whole divisions. BJ got one superfight with GSP, lost, and went right back to lightweight.

As for anything else that's been speculated on, it would be better to let it be known what the issue is. If Dana, the UFC, or anyone is lying, Conor can put it out there and prove it to be wrong. If Dana was lying this morning, someone from Paradigm Sports Management should debunk that shit instantly. If the McGregor side's purpose is to win in the court of public opinion, that wouldn't be that hard to do especially if the reasons are valid.

IMO, everything outside of the money (in which anything unsubstantiated can be thrown about) right now isn't making that much sense. Or any sense at all.

Shooto Japan did sign a deal with Fight Pass, and the first show will be this Friday night/Saturday morning. Pancrase will have a card on Fight Pass after UFC 197 featuring the return of Mamoru Yamaguchi.

Conor just unretired in a statement. He just doesn't want to do promotion for the fight.

The problem is when you're dealing with potentially the biggest show in the history of MMA, you got to do promotion. Guys who hated it like Brock Lesnar and Anderson Silva had to do it, even though it seems like Conor is more or less talking about those little interviews with small time outlets. When you're this far out from a fight, promotion isn't really going to detour your training.  Now after the media tour? You can go dark all you want. You don't have to say shit. On fight week, you're probably going to have to do some ESPN stuff and be on Kimmel and Conan. However, between that you would have a two month break.

5 minutes ago, glfpunk said:

So if you're Dana White, what do you do at this point?

This might be more Lorenzo's deal, but I have a feeling what they might do.

1. They can tell McGregor if he isn't on the first thing smoking to Vegas, he doesn't have to worry about fighting on UFC 200.

or

2. They can cut down on the press conferences from 3 to 2 and just leave Stockton off the plans. They can move the Vegas presser to the Saturday afternoon. He can turn down any interviews he doesn't want to do. They can fly out his training partners. There are gyms in Vegas and NYC.

Meltzer believes this all over the fact that McGregor believes Aldo didn't do his share promoting their fight (when he took off for a wedding for example) last year while McGregor did basically everything. According to Meltzer, Zuffa's side is basically what I described yesterday some replies back. They've basically given him everything he wanted plus more. They were willing to make other concessions, but they weren't willing to forego McGregor promoting the show. They had already lined up the $1 million commercial to be shot yesterday (which is true) in Vegas, but he wasn't there.