DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Green is a really great defender and player, but asking him to keep Andre Drummond off the boards is a big ask. They did a good job on Andre's shooting (just 6-20) but he cleaned up the glass all night (21 boards)

Then you get to Green, Ezelli, Barnes and Bogut combining for only 26 points, while Andre, Marcus, Ersan, Aaron and Stanley combined for sixty.

It shouldn't be Green's duty to keep Drummond off the glass. Dre only had 10 rebounds against the Spurs and the Spurs outrebounded the Pistons 49-41 earlier this week. Golden State grabbed 47 boards to Detroit's 57. Either way, good win for Detroit and it helps cut into the Warrior's lead on SA. As amazing as Golden State has been, it is nuts to think that the Spurs are only 2 games behind in the loss column at this point in the season. The Dubs went on a 25 game winning streak and they are up a whopping 2 games. 

And they haven't even played each other yet. They do play each other three times in a little over three weeks near the end of the season. They haven't played the Thunder yet either. The team hasn't looked quite the same with a lot of guys playing through injury and the general fatigue from so many games in quick succession. The difficulty of opponents is about to pick up too. It's the Cavs coming up on Monday followed by games against the Bulls, Pacers, then Spurs. 72-10 could be all but out of reach after that series of tests. I've had a blast watching them, so I'm hoping this is just a blip on the road to history. Curry's WS/48 has lowered in that if he maintained this pace over the rest of the season it would be only 2nd best all time behind Kareem's 71-72 season.

I forgot where I saw the stat but the four teams with the easiest schedule in the first half surprisingly were the Spurs, Golden State, Cleveland and OKC. The schedule makers knew the marquee matchups would be viewed closer post all Star break. I also don't think the schedule makers would take into account that the Pelicans and Rockets would be flops this year. Utah has been injured so we don't know their true ceiling. Portland is playing way better than a team who lost 4 of 5 starters should be playing but they are still mediocre. The nutty thing about the Spurs and Warriors runs -  Warriors have dropped a bit but still average 11.2 more points per their opponent. The Spurs, despite having 2 more losses than the Warriors are at 13.9. The Spurs have 10 games where they won by 20 or more points. The next closest is 4 or 5 games. We are seeing some historical shit here on top of the Warriors great winning streak to open the season. 

Yup, Spurs are on place for best point differential ever, Warriors for best record. Both might fade away in the second half, but they are both far enough along it's worth watching.

Also, Andre had his 8th 20 rebound game tonight. The rest of the NBA combined has six.

They are real tough at home, and real young.

I'm pretty sure Chicago doesn't want to see them in the first round right now (that could change, but right now Detroit is 2-0 against the Bulls, and it only took a combined five overtimes to get there).

I don't think they can win the East, or even are all that likely to get out of the first round, but I'm pretty sure they could make a higher seed miserable for a few days.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/1/17/10782282/timmy-and-dirk

Chris Itz over at SBNation posted these stats on the head to head between Dirk and Duncan. Tonight will be the 90th game between the two legends. 

56 - Regular season games played between the two. Tim and the Spurs are up, 34-22.

33 - Playoff games played. Tim and the Spurs have the slight edge in games, 18-15 and a 4-2 series advantage.

5 - Dirk has outscored Tim by five points, 1159-1154, in their regular season meetings. I mean, it's 56 games and they're only separated by FIVE points!

23 - Tim has outscored Dirk by 23 points, 795-772, the post season.

17 - Dirk has played 17 more minutes, 2033-2016, in their regular season meetings.

3/4/99 - Last millennium and 18 seasons ago the duo played their first game against each other. Tim led the Spurs to a 95-79 victory with 26 points and 12 rebounds while a rookie Nowitzki came off of the bench with 11 and 6. Andrew Gaze and Chris Anstey also played in the game.

77 years, 4 days - combined age of two of the league's ten most-lived veterans.

Click on the link and look at their points per game against each other. In the regular season, Dirk averages .1 more than Duncan in head to head matchups. In the post season, Duncan averages .7 more. Amazing. 

• Like 1

Simmons is a D League guy who won the MVP of the Summer League Finals. He reminds me ALOT of Mavs era Michael Finley. He has the ability to draw fouls, finish at the rim to get the And One, and is not a bad outside shooter if sporadic. He may be the most exciting, dunking Spur maybe in the last 20 years. He has definitely earned his way in the rotation and seems to have at least one jaw dropping play per game. 

I felt bad for Carlisle. He was trying to get them fired up after a frustrating night and the Mavs just rolled over the last couple of quarters. 

I liked what I saw from Simmons.  Nice find by the Spurs.  Honestly, I don't know what happened to Dallas tonight.  The shots just weren't falling.  We were mostly good on D in the first half, but LMA got cooking in the 3rd and that was all she wrote.  No one brought any fire on offense.  I was hoping Salah Mejri would get some burn after that nice performance in OKC.

Big win for the Bulls today with the news of Jo being out for the season.  That one felt pretty good considering how many minutes of basketball it took for us to beat the Pistons!  

Between his awful start to the season and Jimmy Butler's play, Derrick Rose is flying way under the radar right now.  His shooting numbers are starting to rise and he has been super effective around the rim over the last month or so.  Hopefully he starts to earn back his reputation around the rim so the refs will start giving him some calls!

• Like 1