DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, that was crazy. Boston controlled all the way through to late in the third, went up by thirteen and then Detroit just went "fuck this shit" and destroyed them the rest of the way.

KCP played lights out tonight when the rest of the team couldn't hit shit.

Have fun.

Rising star and all around bad ass CJ McCollum didn't play last night.  Why you may ask?  Clerical error.  Seriously.  Terry Stotts was already a top tier heel in the fantasy sports community, but he might have reached all-time great status with this one.

Edit:  So here is some more info.  Stotts turned in a lineup sheet with CJ listed as inactive, the Clippers caught it and brought it to the officials attention.

Which brings us to one of the greatest GIFs of the NBA season so far, Doc and CJ postgame:  https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CYGKWatUEAAx0br.mp4

• Like 2

All three western division leaders currently have a 9.5 games or better lead on second place.

In the East, there's two teams up by 2.5 and then a tie (with third place being, you guessed it, 2.5 back)

Who knew the East would be the meat grinder this year?

This Sacramento-Lakers game is nuts. Sacramento dominates the first half and leads by as much as 27 in the 3rd. The Lakers score 38 in the 3rd to close the gap a little but have outscored Sac 23-6 so far in the 4th quarter to take a 1 point lead. Never change Sacramento, never change. 

This Bulls team is finally coming together. Six in a row now and most of those wins have come against other east playoff teams. Hoiberg moving Mirotic to small forward was the best thing he has done all season. He opened up a ton of minutes for Taj and Portis.

Jimmy and Pau are on fire right now, but I'm more excited by Rose's play. The dude is flat out attacking this year and he looks more comfortable in traffic pretty much every game. He puts such a strain on the defense even if he isn't knocking his shots down. Fortunately he is starting to finish at a higher rate around the rim. The floater is starting to fall and he is still SOOO athletic.

Even though Rose isn't settling for jump shots this year, his free throw attempts are somehow lower than last season! You would think a former MVP coming back from multiple leg injuries would be protected a little by the refs. I don't get it.

Even though Rose isn't settling for jump shots this year, his free throw attempts are somehow lower than last season! You would think a former MVP coming back from multiple leg injuries would be protected a little by the refs. I don't get it.

In the spirit of good natured sports trash talk, I would say the fact that Rose's body has yet to explode in to thousands of tiny pieces this year is proof he isn't getting touched by defenders all that much. 

This will get a big eye roll, but I have been thinking the same thing about Kevin Love in regards to not getting calls. The guy gets a good seal in transition and then proceeds to get absolutely mauled to no avail like 4 times a game. 

I was more impressed by Towns. Wiggins played great, but in an unsustainable way. Towns was just as dominant but the way he scored and played looked way more repeatable.

I'm going to the 76ers/Cavs game on Sunday. The way the Cavs are playing they could score 140 but with my luck they will sleepwalk their way through this one and barely score 90.

LOL, Steph is playing fewer first half minutes than normal due to the shin injury... so'z he only has 13 pts, 6 assists, and 3 rebounds in 17 minutes. Klay has 24 first half points. I just hope he doesn't further aggravate it and we get robbed of glorious basketball.

Probably the most fun Lakers loss of the season.  Thunder seemed to take LA lightly, and then Lou Williams went berserk in the 4th.   Thunder went on their usual runs and Lou just refused to let the team die.

So with 13 seconds left, only down two, of course you know who would take the final terrible shot, right? 

Hoiberg was completely lost in that game against the Wizards.  This dude doesn't have any clue how to set his rotations when Joakim is healthy.  He was playing Doug McDermott and Aaron Brooks TOGETHER for long stretches.  The Bulls cut it to 3 with 8 minutes to go in the 4th, the Wizards bring back Wall, and Hoiberg leaves a red hot Derrick Rose on the bench for another two minutes as the lead balloons back to 10!  

He looked like he was turning a corner when Noah was out, but he went right back to the Pau/Noah lineup that hasn't worked EVER.   He barely staggered Rose, Jimmy and Pau at all. There should really never be a time with Rose AND Jimmy off the floor. 

Just awful stuff from a coach I was coming around on.  

I went to the Sixers/Cavs the other night.

1) Super shocked AND thrilled LeBron actually played against this garbage team. Lowe pointed out today how no one is talking about him right now. This is totally true, largely because Steph has become so great in such a unique way and LeBron-on-Cleveland is no longer new. But in person he's just spectacular. It's unreal to see him play. He's like a military general surveying the floor at all times -- he sees where everything is going and calculates his best options in the blink of an eye. And the best option for him last night was "score at will" because the rest of the team didn't have it and the Sixers were hanging tight.

2) Even better, LeBron started doing the "raise the roof" thing after each of his four ridiculous dunks. The arena started doing it, too. He then busted out a slow-burn heel taunt version the crowd booed when he effectively iced the game. So great to watch this live.

3) The Sixers are so enigmatic. They really do play fucking HARD. Okafor really does have some impressive footwork down low and knows how to get shots at the rim. It's just that he can't do anything else. Like, they do not go through the motions at all. It's a total shame Brett Brown has to deal with this horror show of a roster. Legitimately at one point Ish Smith dribbled out of bounds just like when your dog jumped on you when you were playing Double Dribble.

• Like 1

I was also at the 76ers/Cavs game. A few more things that stood out: 

I counted three times that a 76er caught a pass with a foot on the side line. That's just inexcusable. It's like they practice on a court that is a foot wider or something. 

There is no reason not to double Okafor every time. As soon as he touches the ball his only goal is to shoot. Everyone knows it. 

At the end of the first half, Mozgov took an missed a corner 3 as time expired. He did not play in the second half. JR Smith was interviewed by Fox Sports Time Ohio at half and said "We have to stop playing stupid basketball". Can you imagine being called out for stupid basketball by JR Smith? I think I'd just immediately retire. 

I thought Kevin Love had a very good game. He ended up with 15, 15, and 7 and got to the line at will. I know the season is only half over, but Kevin Love, for all the criticism he has taken is sitting 11th overall in RPM. 

The Cavs have an absolutely brutal stretch starting tonight: all three Texas teams on the road before coming home to play Golden State. This will really test where they are.