DVDVR Message Board

Golovkin vs. Lemieux (10/17/2015) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

golovkin-vs-lemieux.png

Golovkin vs. Lemieux

October 17, 2015

New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

WBA Super/Interim WBC/IBF Middleweight Championship: Gennady Golovkin © (159.4) vs. David Lemieux © (159.8) - Golovkin, TKO (referee stoppage), R8 (1:32)

- WBA Super (Golovkin: fourth defense)

- Interim WBC (Golovkin)

- IBF (Lemieux: first defense

WBC & Ring Magazine Flyweight Championship: Roman Gonzalez © (111.4) vs. Brian Viloria (111.4) - Gonzalez, TKO (referee stoppage), R9 (2:53)

- WBC (third defense)

- The Ring Magazine (third defense)

Interim WBA World Heavyweight Championship: Luis Ortiz © (237.8) vs. Matias Ariel Vidondo (261) - Ortiz, KO (left hook), (0:17)

Tureano Johnson (159.4) vs. Eamonn O'Kane (160) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:

Ruslan Madiev (139.6) vs. Sean Gee (142.6) - Madiev, DEC (unanimous)

Lamont Roach Jr. (131.4) vs. Jose Bustos (130.4) - Roach Jr., DEC (unanimous)

Ghislain Maduma (139.2) vs. Maurice Hooker (139.4) - Hooker, DEC (split)

Attendance: 20,548

Gate: $2 million

Buyrate: 150,000

It will be interesting how this does on PPV. I am assuming that the purses for GGG/Lemieux mandated that this be made into a PPV. Otherwise, this would be a World Championship Boxing card with Chocolatito opening up the show.

Lemieux is a good puncher but his power hasnt been as impressive as he stepped up in competition.  Fight is only interesting to see how Golovkin takes his shots.  There will be a KO and probably early since Lemieux has been stopped before and doesn't treat defense very seriously

I pretty much agree with this assessment. Sometimes, Golovkin just tends to starts slow. People are going to say he carries a few of his opponents, but he does just sort to stalk his opponent around looking for the perfect punch or combination. He can steamroll an opponent like he did with Rubio, but that's usually when Golovkin knows when he doesn't offer anything. HBO tried to build up Stevens as this type of puncher, but Stevens really had been doing that against guys Main Events had lined up to do that against. This can be said also for Lemieux prior to when he got upset by MA Rubio, just replacing Main Events with Yvon Michel.

However, if you look at Stevens, he is a boxer puncher who has many times had offensive lulls. He can only detonate that great eraser punch in the right situation against the right opponent. Lemieux can box a little, but he usually doesn't fight from behind since he actually can use his power more consistently. I think what is most intriguing about the fight, other than it can turn into a pure donnybrook, is Golovkin's intentional or unintentional judgement calls of when to go forward and let his hands go can give Lemieux an opportunity to get the ball rolling. If there is anyone in the middleweight division to test his chin, it would be Lemieux. The thing going against Lemieux here, like many Golovkin opponents, is that his boxing skill really doesn't seem strong enough to keep Golovkin off of him. So if Lemieux is going to establish himself as a viable threat, he better do it within the first third of the fight or it can go downhill fast.

Good little back and forth fight between Chocolatito and Viloria. However, Chocolatito just was too overwhelming. A bout between Chocolatito and Inoue at 115 would be superb. A rematch with Gallo Estrada would also be acceptable.

That may have been GGG's best overall performance. He was dominant, but in a different way than what I'm used to seeing.  It was with patience and skill.  He took most of that fight with his jab.  It's the first time I looked at him and REALLY thought he could beat the top guys if he is unable to drop them early.

The more I see of GGG, the more I become convinced that he can adjust to anyone and do whatever he needs to do in order to win. Let's face it, most of the time he doesn't need to be patient and box, he can just steamroll over about 75%-85% of his opponents. What he showed last night is that he's perfectly comfortable adjusting his game plan without missing a beat. He just does everything so well it's scary. I think Cotto takes Canelo and while I like Cotto, I think GGG is going to give him the beating of his life. All the things Cotto does well, GGG does better, it ain't going to be pretty.

I still would take Canelo over Cotto, but Cotto has shored up some holes up in his game. He is actually sitting down on his punches rather than standing there and measuring everything.

I would also take Canelo over Cotto depending on which Cotto shows up.  If it is the frustrated Cotto that eats leather just so he can get in his one shot, then Canelo will counterpunch the shit out of him.

GGG is a scary mother fucker.  His full on assault is absolutely punishing.  You just wither away under the punches..

hi-res-dd85625d929285f782b47b9fc9a046ec_

Wonder how much money they'd throw at Floyd to get him in the ring with G3.

You think he'd willingly go into a match that he knows he'd lose, much less on a thorough demolition, for ANY dollar amount?

• Like 1

What makes Golovkin so dangerous are his fundamentals - specifically, his footwork, which allows him to move easily and quickly get into position to throw punches from either an orthodox or southpaw stance, and his basic biomechanics for punching, which maximizes the impact of everything he throws.  He actually doesn't have incredible natural speed or power, but he gets the most out of his abilities by being so technically sound and well-conditioned.  I don't think there's much doubt he would thrash Mayweather.

Different reports are indicating this tracking between 125k-150k buys, which of course is not a good sign. As a said, this was a great World Championship Boxing card with two throwaway fights underneath the main and co-main. And I like Tureano Johnson, BTW.

Unless he is fighting a real name fighter, he should always fight on WCB. It makes no sense to put him on PPV when the fight isn't a PPV attraction, especially against super stiff competition.