DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Nikkan sports article about Giulia, talks about her style. Then she goes on about aiming to bring back the  心を揺さぶるプロレス or wrestling that moves the heart of 1980s to 1990s AJW.  She thinks older eras of Joshi and AJW were more real in the emotional sense.

Read a translation of that on the Stardom reddit earlier. Thought it was a nice article. She isn't necessarily wrong about the wrestling. Its nice that she wants to try. I thought her match Hana from last December and Oedo Tai vs. Sendai were reminiscent of that. That said, while I like Giulia I thought much of that brawl with Hana was on Hana who seemed to be more of natural to that style. Hopefully Giulia can see some success in getting where she is trying to in that regard.

Finally caught Tam/Giulia last night. It was not bad, but they kind of tried to overachieve running the match that long. Also felt a bit weird how little hate there was considering how they pushed things before then.

• Like 2

That is disappointing. I like Iida, but she is still a good year or two away from being ready for a tournament like this. I was also hoping to see Saki try to step up some. Hopefully her health isn't too bad and whatever her health issue is its something she can heal up from with some time off.

In non-Stardom news, Yuki Miyazaki has tested positive for COVID-19. She is asymptomatic apart from losing her sense of taste. (that absolutely sucks) All WAVE shows have been cancelled/postponed, including Hiro'e's already rescheduled retirement show and WAVE wrestlers are being dropped from their independent bookings for the next few weeks.

Just saw that. That sucks. Was really looking forward to those shows.  Since they haven't flat out cancelled the tournament I assume the GP will be going into October. Wonder if that means the Goddess League will not happen.

Edited by Eivion

I just finished watching Aja/Hasegawa vs. Toyota/Hokuto from the '93 tag league and it was a really fucking good match, but it also highlighted how good Hasegawa was in just her third year. I remember digging her and Debbie Malenko when I first got into Joshi. I see Scott has a big column on her career that I'll have to read, but I just want to say she was really fucking good. Awesome fire, really good selling (though the vets beat the shit out of her so yeah), and uranage for days. Scott seems to suggest injury and being blocked from progression was her reason for retirement in '96... But with Gaea's rise, wouldn't there have been more spots spread out over the two promotions for somebody as good as her? And she only came out of retirement for two one offs almost ten years apart. Strange.

From Scott's bio:

tumblr_ozhrtmGCLJ1qivspno1_500.jpg?w=825&ssl=1

Steinerline indeed

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Ogawa already used the Dream Slam name a couple of years ago for Stardom shows that I think never got the big cards they originally planned for. Unless COVID has hit them all hard enough they need to merge to survive, its very likely about a big joint show. Chigusa proposed one last year. It ended up becoming a one night GAEA revival, but I'm guessing circumstances has led to it going back to the original big joint show she wanted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ka-to said:

3 PM tomorrow in Japan Marvelous youtube and others will stream some new news for the future of women's wrestling. Marvelous, Sendai, OZ, Pure J, Chigusa, Hotta, and Hokuto are involved.

Was hoping for a super group.

Edited by Jiji