DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I think it's a given at this point that Cosmic Angels are breaking off from STARS. Tam has the personality to carry her own faction, hell she is the 2nd most charismatic person on the roster after Giulia (though you can make a strong case for Utami).  She is also all around a great performer, who always looks like she is enjoying what she is doing. Hey, I like a wrestler that is serious, but sometimes being too serious ma not fun to watch as a fan... Tam ALWAYS seems to be having a blast based on her body language. Like she actually loves wrestling more than anything in the world.

James

Riho joining Stars would probably balance out things.  Also, there's always a chance that they're not done signing up talent yet, especially after losing the 3 sisters for the foreseeable future.

I do agree with Eivion about Utami's charisma.  She's got stoic part down, but there's not much else there.  She's not that great of promo and still seems a bit shy.  She seems like she's getting more comfortable, but still not there yet.

If Riho was going to join any groups it feels like it would have happened already. They seem to avoid pushing her forward in Stardom due to her being an AEW talent. 

I don't think Stardom is done signing talent at all, but who knows when the next ones will happen. If they get another 3 people or so I can see them breaking Cosmic Angles off. Otherwise it just doesn't seem like a good idea as it would damage STARS and create a 3 person unit that has no real strength beyond Tam.

I think they are finally trying to build Tam/Mayu as a booster for Tam using the tension that has kind of been there for a while now with how Mayu has somewhat ignored Tam at times despite bringing her into STARS. I think it could lead to CA leaving. I just think it might be a little early for that with the current roster.

56 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Noticed Lady C is listed as independent unit.

Rookies tend to be on their own until they choose a faction. 

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

Stardoms metrics and business are up with increases. So are the views.

Saw this on the subreddit. Most of their metrics increased by 200% or more. The big ones that bring them the most money were Stardom World (200%), the fan club (750%), & web sales (800%). It will be very interesting to see what attendances look like post-pandemic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

Still pretty amazing that Stardom can lose 2 of their biggest draws at the start of the pandemic and seemingly be in a better standing at the end of the year.

It is yet I'm somehow not surprised. Going into this year I actually think Stardom was the strongest they had ever been. Its why they weren't hit nearly as bad with their roster losses despite this possibly being their worst year in that respect (between 2020 and 2015). I'm just happy they managed to keep the momentum goign even with the pandemic screwing things up for attendances.

So Tam made it official and Cosmic Angels are no longer with STARS. Starlight Kid has gone all surly about it apparently, which is kinda cool because she needed to have a voice of some kind. You can't be the happy go lucky masked girl there to eat the fall forever, especially with Yoneyana right there!

James

The logo is kind of bland though not bad.

Was hoping CA wouldn't break off. We are getting Mayu/Tam as a big match finally next Osaka show so there is that at least.

I'm guessing the WK match will be another regular tag with Bea & a OT member taking on Utami and either Giulia or Tam.

I'm surprised they're doing Mayu/Tam so soon seeing as that's something they could save for the Sumo Hall show.

For the WK match, I think it's going to be a tag match with one each from each faction, most likely a combo of Mayu, Utami, Giulia and Tam.  Seeing how it's a big spotlight match, I just don't think Bea or any OT member is really that big enough to warrant their inclusion.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

For the WK match, I think it's going to be a tag match with one each from each faction, most likely a combo of Mayu, Utami, Giulia and Tam.  Seeing how it's a big spotlight match, I just don't think Bea or any OT member is really that big enough to warrant their inclusion.

Bea is working NJPW as a part of the Empire so it makes sense for her to actually to get showcased in a match. They also didn't give a damn about each faction getting a representative last year. I could see them going with the match you mentioned but I think they try to showcase some different people this year.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

I'm surprised they're doing Mayu/Tam so soon seeing as that's something they could save for the Sumo Hall show.

There is no Sumo hall show. They seemingly canceled it and upgraded to Budokan in March. They aren't waiting that long for Mayu/Tam with the builds its gotten. I suspect come Budokan Mayu ends up in a match taking on former Stardom talent, maybe even a singles with Yoshiko.

It was obvious both would show up soon with the anniversary show coming and Yoshiko talking about wanting to face Mayu months ago. The rift was always more on the Nanae/Yoshiko side as Rossy never wanted either to leave. I do like that Kid and Iida got involved. Neither are winning whatever matches they get in the build up, but its nice they will likely get a big match or two out of it. Momo stepping up to Nanae is neat but would excite me more if I knew Momo was winning. Should still be a good match if/when it happens.

11 hours ago, alstein said:

I think Western fans are going to turn on the promotion over this.   Japanese fans will be excited.

Even on the Western side things are more mixed than you would think. There is still a segment who choose to believe the Act-Yoshiko incident was a fight Act just happened to lose instead of a violent assault that forced her to retire for 4+ years (Act had a match back in November). You also have people like me who try to or have kind of moved on even if the incident bugs us to some degree still. In general though Western fans probably should move on to some degree if only because those actually involved have.