DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Card for Stardom's New Blood show on 3/11

Utami Hayashishita (Queen's Quest) vs Miyu Amasaki (Miyu Matsuda's new ring name)

Starlight Kid & Ruaka (Oedo Tai) vs Haruka Umesaki & Nanami (Diana)

Hanan & Saya Iida (STARS) vs Tomoka Inaba & Aoi (JUST TAP OUT)

Saya Kamitani & Lady C (Queen's Quest) vs MIRAI & Mai Sakurai (Donna del Mondo)

Unagi Sayaka & Waka Tsukiyama (COSMIC ANGELS) vs Maria & Ai Houzan (Marvelous)

Momo Kohgo (STARS) vs Sayaka (Gatoh Move Pro Wrestling)

Momo Watanabe, Starlight Kid, Saki Kashima, Ruaka, and Rina vs Utami, Saya Kamitani, AZM, Lady C, and "X" is set. 

Same match rules as the November 3 1983 NJPW show, when the "regular army" led by Antonio Inoki fought the "Ishin army" of Riki Choshu in a 4 to 4 tug of war match. 

It will be a Showa-style match format.

Edited by Blue Dragon

Full Stardom World Climax card:

March 26th
Future of Stardom Championship: Hanan (c) vs Rina
Singles Match: Saya Iida vs MIRAI
6-woman Tag Gauntlet Match: Himeka, Natsupoi & Mai Sakurai vs Mina Shirakawa, Waka Tsukiyama & Momo Kohgo vs Saki Kashima, Fukigen Death & Ruaka vs AZM, Lady C & X
DDM vs Prominence: Maika & Thekla vs Risa Sera & Suzu Suzuki
Goddesses of Stardom Championship: Hazuki & Koguma (c) vs Momo Watanabe & Starlight Kid
Tag Team Match: Mayu Iwatani & KAIRI vs Tam Nakano & Unagi Sayaka
Wonder of Stardom Championship: Saya Kamitani (c) vs Utami Hayashishita
World of Stardom Championship: Syuri (c) vs Giulia

March 27th
Future of Stardom Championship: Hanan or Rina vs Mai Sakurai
Cinderella Rumble: Unagi Sayaka, Mina Shirakawa, Lady C, Miyu Amasaki, Saki Kashima, Ruaka, Saya Iida, Momo Kohgo, Waka Tsukiyama, Tomoka Inaba, Aoi, Haruka Umesaki, Nanami, Maria, Ai Houzan, Mei Suruga, Yuna Mizumori & more
Singles Match: Saya Kamitani or Utami Hayashishita vs MIRAI
Singles Match: Hazuki vs Momo Watanabe
High Speed Championship: AZM (c) vs Koguma vs Natsupoi
Singles Match: KAIRI vs Starlight Kid
DDM vs Prominence: Syuri or Giulia, Maika, Himeka & Thekla vs Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki, Akane Fujita & Mochi Miyagi
Wonder of Stardom Championship: Saya Kamitani or Utami Hayashishita vs Tam Nakano
World of Stardom Championship: Syuri or Giulia vs Mayu Iwatani

If Syuri wins, she goes her own way. Leaving DDM.

If Syuri vs Mayu happens, it will be to decide who is the Strongest in Stardom.

KAIRI was "invited" by Tam to join Cosmic Angels. Age wise she fits in.

Edited by Blue Dragon

Ice Ribbon taking some serious hits. As much as I sometimes make a joke or two about the promotion, I still like having a variety of viewing options and options for wrestlers of where to work so seeing them go from easily a top three Joshi promotion they were a few years ago to what they are now with their roster changes is sad. Hopefully some of their younger wrestlers step up and usher in a new era instead of them slowly turning into WAVE.

I think it was Lukie who joked about the woman's promotions shrinking and splintering further on Puroresufan a decade ago. Seems it will be just Stardom and TJPW as the majors in the future while all the others become even smaller indys.

I wouldn't give 'ol Lukie too much credit, a lot of it was bad luck. The pandemic really hurt the momentum of some of the promotions and while it was easier for the "big" (well financed) promotions to push through, others like OZ and Sendai Girls' really struggled to maintain. Sudden retirements are always an issue in Joshi, and while Tokyo Joshi Pro has seen their fair share, Stardom hasn't been as impacted which is hard to predict. There was a time in 2016 to 2018 (don't have exact numbers) that while Stardom was the most popular, there were several right behind them that were doing really well also.

That being said, I do think this gap is likely going to be long term. Its going to be hard for Sendai Girls' and Ice Ribbon to get back to where they were pre-pandemic and OZ was always an oddball promotion since they don't have their own young wrestlers to build up anyway. But I hope that Ice Ribbon finds a good spot and they have a pretty solid fanbase, they should be able to maintain the #3 spot but it really depends on their finances as they can't afford to lose any more wrestlers.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
26 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That being said, I do think this gap is likely going to be long term. Its going to be hard for Sendai Girls' and Ice Ribbon to get back to where they were pre-pandemic and OZ was always an oddball promotion since they don't have their own young wrestlers to build up anyway. But I hope that Ice Ribbon finds a good spot and they have a pretty solid fanbase, they should be able to maintain the #3 spot but it really depends on their finances as they can't afford to lose any more wrestlers.

It depends on how well Club Ice Ribbon works out, I think, in terms of eyes on their product. It's certainly user-friendly for me!

Ice Ribbon does have a lot of young wrestlers with a ton of potential that just need seasoning. Nao Ishikawa is going to be something special, and I think there's big things on the horizon for the team of Asahi and Kaho Matsushita. Ibuki Hoshi feels like she's on the verge of a breakout, but how much she can contribute while she's at university starting in a few months will be a question. Yuki Mashiro has also been showing a lot of improvement, though she's had some bad luck with being a close contact in terms of COVID lately.

The short-term hurts for sure. Losing Tsukushi is really painful, probably more painful than the Prominence departure. But I do think if they can get through the next 18-24 months, Ice Ribbon will be okay. They definitely have a lot of people attending Wrestling Circle, and they have a healthy set of relationships with freelancers and groups like Color's to help fill holes and give their younger wrestlers veteran guidance.

16 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

It depends on how well Club Ice Ribbon works out, I think, in terms of eyes on their product. It's certainly user-friendly for me!

Ice Ribbon does have a lot of young wrestlers with a ton of potential that just need seasoning. Nao Ishikawa is going to be something special, and I think there's big things on the horizon for the team of Asahi and Kaho Matsushita. Ibuki Hoshi feels like she's on the verge of a breakout, but how much she can contribute while she's at university starting in a few months will be a question. Yuki Mashiro has also been showing a lot of improvement, though she's had some bad luck with being a close contact in terms of COVID lately.

The short-term hurts for sure. Losing Tsukushi is really painful, probably more painful than the Prominence departure. But I do think if they can get through the next 18-24 months, Ice Ribbon will be okay. They definitely have a lot of people attending Wrestling Circle, and they have a healthy set of relationships with freelancers and groups like Color's to help fill holes and give their younger wrestlers veteran guidance.

I really like what they are doing with Club Ice Ribbon, on paper. I am always a little cautious getting too into whatever a promotion's streaming plans are as so many don't stick with them, but it provides a really good money value with their current schedule.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I really like what they are doing with Club Ice Ribbon, on paper. I am always a little cautious getting too into whatever a promotion's streaming plans are as so many don't stick with them, but it provides a really good money value with their current schedule.

Based on what Yappy mentioned in her Twitch stream, it looks like we're getting an English language recap show each week starting next week and some additional audience-free shows from the dojo in future too. So those should help get more reps for the younger wrestlers too!

Nao Ishikawa formed her own group with Rina Amikura and Misa Kagura on today's Ice Ribbon dojo show, called Team Princess, so we'll probably be seeing Amikura and Kagura more frequently on Ice Ribbon shows.

This is kind of why I wasn't too terribly worried about how Ice Ribbon was filling out shows. In addition to the core roster, just from the start of this year they have had fairly regular participation from all four members of Color's (with Rina Amikura and Yuko Sakurai being far more frequent than SAKI or Hikari Shimizu), plus Misa Kagura, Sumika Yanagawa, and (to a lesser extent, considering her experience level) Bulldozer Amisa from JTO. Not to mention Maya Yukihi popping in for non-dojo shows like expected, same with Ram Kaichow. Add in Makoto and Cherry, plus occasional drop-ins by Rina Yamashita, and they have some fairly decent sized cards.

Really, any joshi group with ten active wrestlers on their roster and a capable freelancer pool is probably doing pretty okay.

15 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Nao Ishikawa formed her own group with Rina Amikura and Misa Kagura on today's Ice Ribbon dojo show, called Team Princess, so we'll probably be seeing Amikura and Kagura more frequently on Ice Ribbon shows.

This is kind of why I wasn't too terribly worried about how Ice Ribbon was filling out shows. In addition to the core roster, just from the start of this year they have had fairly regular participation from all four members of Color's (with Rina Amikura and Yuko Sakurai being far more frequent than SAKI or Hikari Shimizu), plus Misa Kagura, Sumika Yanagawa, and (to a lesser extent, considering her experience level) Bulldozer Amisa from JTO. Not to mention Maya Yukihi popping in for non-dojo shows like expected, same with Ram Kaichow. Add in Makoto and Cherry, plus occasional drop-ins by Rina Yamashita, and they have some fairly decent sized cards.

Really, any joshi group with ten active wrestlers on their roster and a capable freelancer pool is probably doing pretty okay.

I personally wasn't too concerned about them being able to fill cards, hell even SEAdLINNNG manages to pull that off, its more that they are very heavy on younger/inexperienced wrestlers and a little low on wrestlers with name recognition. From skimming their roster, once Tsukushi retires it is basically just Fujimoto and Hoshi that are respected vets, with the next most experienced wrestlers being those that are solid mid-card hands but not considered future leaders of the promotion (Totoro and Maika). Course they still use Maya and Ram which helps too.

Its not the end of the world and at least they do have a bunch of solid young wrestlers, but probably (ideally) in the next year they'd like one of them to rise up almost to a "Super Rookie" type status and hopefully start determining who is Ace material and who isn't. Its do-able, they've just lost a lot of gatekeepers/upper midcarders in the last six months.