DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I went ahead and I looked it up, because I was curious as to Tsukka's consistency when it came to missing matches and couldn't remember a time that she'd ever been injured.

Since the start of 2010, she's been wrestling at least one match every single week, with only four exceptions, and the longest of those exceptions was 18 days back in October last year when she had to self-isolate after returning from a tour of Mexico. That's a staggering level of consistency to go as long as she did having a match every single week.

That just solidifies my thoughts, that her hiatus is well-earned and I hope she enjoys it.

Tsukasa will be missed but as you say, she has more than deserved taking a break even if entirely selfishly it makes me sad.

I'm utterly fascinated to see what is next for Ice Ribbon.

Talking of Fujimoto, the most recent SEAdLINNNG show, from Friday 18th March, is well worth a watch. Opener is Crea & Ryo Mizunami vs Ayame Sasamura & Makoto, which is a solid little match, then there's the traditional High Speed match with ASUKA, Yoshiko & Kaori Yoneyama, and those matches are always extremely silly fun and pop me every time more or less. So if you enjoy stupid shit, deffo worth a look though I accept it's very much not to everyone's taste.

Final 2 matches, we have Arisa Nakajima tagging with both Fujimoto & Hanako Nakamori, 2 people she tags with regularly. They go against Hiroyo Matsumoto, the always loud Itsuki Aoki & young Asahi from Ice Ribbon. There's a bit of comedy at the beginning and then the match gets properly going and is basically what you'd want from a match with these women in it, and the finishing stretch with Arisa beating on Asahi is really good.

Finally the main event has Riko Kawahata of T-Hearts against SEAdLINNNG's own rookie Riko Kaiju. And to prove they deserves this spot they beat each other up & I thought it was great. Top to bottom a good show

4 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Tsukasa will be missed but as you say, she has more than deserved taking a break even if entirely selfishly it makes me sad.

I'm utterly fascinated to see what is next for Ice Ribbon.

Talking of Fujimoto, the most recent SEAdLINNNG show, from Friday 18th March, is well worth a watch. Opener is Crea & Ryo Mizunami vs Ayame Sasamura & Makoto, which is a solid little match, then there's the traditional High Speed match with ASUKA, Yoshiko & Kaori Yoneyama, and those matches are always extremely silly fun and pop me every time more or less. So if you enjoy stupid shit, deffo worth a look though I accept it's very much not to everyone's taste.

Final 2 matches, we have Arisa Nakajima tagging with both Fujimoto & Hanako Nakamori, 2 people she tags with regularly. They go against Hiroyo Matsumoto, the always loud Itsuki Aoki & young Asahi from Ice Ribbon. There's a bit of comedy at the beginning and then the match gets properly going and is basically what you'd want from a match with these women in it, and the finishing stretch with Arisa beating on Asahi is really good.

Finally the main event has Riko Kawahata of T-Hearts against SEAdLINNNG's own rookie Riko Kaiju. And to prove they deserves this spot they beat each other up & I thought it was great. Top to bottom a good show

I'm kind of looking at things from a positive perspective. If Tsukka will still be around to lend guidance and give advice, just not be in the ring, then the younger talent that will be on Ice Ribbon's shows will still benefit from her experience without having her monstrous shadow looming on the shows themselves. How many shows would have the comment of "well, the talent is learning, but Tsukka is so far above everyone else that it really detracts" if Tsukka was still on them?

I think if you watch Ice Ribbon's shows going forward with the mindset that this is a young roster learning how to grow into their potential, then I think there's a lot to enjoy. I think the next year or so will be a situation where yeah... a lot of great talent has left, but if you let the ones who stayed learn and grow, then your patience will be rewarded. I always like to see how fresh talent gains confidence and it all starts to click for them, and I really feel like I'm seeing that week by week with the dojo shows. Maybe it's not enjoyable for some, and that's fine, but it really checks a lot of boxes for me.

Speaking of watching young talent grow, Riko Kaiju has really improved rapidly over the last few months, so I need to check out that main event. The trios match was already on my list because I wanted to see how Asahi looked outside of Ice Ribbon, but Kaiju's become someone I've wanted to see more of anyway.

Kiku is doing a trial series (called "A Journey of Five Matches"), which Ice Ribbon's putting up for free on YouTube. Kiku is Ice Ribbon's oldest roster member, but one of the least experienced; she's 43, but just debuted back in November. If I remember right, she's getting a trial because she's not expected to have a long career (she said she only expects to go for 18 months or so).

The first match was against Tsukushi Haruka, and the second was against Yuki Mashiro. Both are fun in their own way. Tsukushi is very much out of Kiku's league, but it's interesting to see how Kiku can do against someone of Tsukushi's calibre. Mashiro is a different story, since she only has a year more experience than Kiku. The Mashiro one is fun for seeing how far Mashiro has progressed since she was the overwhelmed rookie against veterans.

These aren't blowaway great matches - what trial matches are? - but they're fairly enjoyable watches and I couldn't help but find myself rooting for Kiku.

Kiku vs Tsukushi Haruka

Kiku vs Yuki Mashiro

Nanae Takahashi will be wrestling in GLEAT on 4/20, her first match since leaving SEAdLINNNG last year. Sounds like it will be her and a yet-to-be-named partner vs. Michiko Miyagi and Yukari Hosokawa. Unclear (to me) if she will be a regular in GLEAT or if its a one-off, sounds like at least a semi-regular role if I had to guess.

I have been doing a deep dive going back into Stardom's history as I didn't start watching regularly until early 2019. I just got to the point Kairi left for WWE. So with those moments fresh in my mind I am incredibly excited to see KAIRI back in Stardom and hope that she does indeed get to challenge the entire roster as she indicated.

stardom6.4-5.png

stardom6.4-top.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Nice, did you catch the Kairi collection matches? Aside from the Chelsea Green match they were generally decent to great.

I haven't watched the collection, but I have been going full show to show so I have seen a lot of her matches. Since NXT was my introduction to Kairi and Io they didn't make as strong an impression, but seeing their Stardom work has changed that drastically. Happy to still have close to a year of Io's matches left before she exits.

1 hour ago, quackhell said:

I haven't watched the collection, but I have been going full show to show so I have seen a lot of her matches. Since NXT was my introduction to Kairi and Io they didn't make as strong an impression, but seeing their Stardom work has changed that drastically. Happy to still have close to a year of Io's matches left before she exits.

Kairi got screwed around by getting pulled up a early and Shayna getting the belt back so quickly. Its a shame because she honestly should have worked well within WWE's style, but you can tell they never really knew her strengths.

With the exception of the Momo matches in her final year there Io's best work in Stardom was probably her world title runs. Io took a while to hit her stride in NXT and had a major injury before she joined. That said, I would say stuff like her match with Rhea Ripley and her War Games matches go well with her higher level work in Stardom.

Edited by Eivion

She wants to be an actress without muscles.

Stardom:

Spoiler

New gears for Momo and more.

Momo and kid won the tags belts.

Syuri's bodyguard is former ActWres Player Ami Miura.  Syuri left DDM. Giulia and Syuri are now rivals.

Edited by Blue Dragon

Tsukasa Fujimoto and Asahi had a great match on Ice Ribbon's dojo show today. I can't think of anyone who is as giving with younger wrestlers in terms of taking their offense or helping them look good as Tsukka is. Asahi's really grown a lot over the last few months, and she's now had some good quality singles matches with both Tsukka and Tsukushi.

The main event tag between Tsukushi and Kaho Matsushita vs Totoro Satsuki and Nao Ishikawa was also a bunch of fun. Tsukushi hit an utterly gnarly double stomp on Totoro's chest at one point. Nice little leadup to the Tsukushi/Totoro match tomorrow.