DVDVR Message Board

Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge web browser

S.K.o.S.

Found out why Chrome was heating up my laptop: rogue extension. I had a Norton extension running and as soon as I disabled it, my computer's been running fine.

As for the tiles, I could have sworn I read somewhere that you could get rid of them from the start menu.

If that's the case, I may look into it.

Yeah try loading Chrome with no extensions and then re-add them one by one to see if you have a rogue one taxing your system.

Norton Antivirus: the world's most prolific virus.

Norton 360 actually ran very well for me. It was just the one Chrome extension that sucked.

Help,,  I just Downloaded Windows 10 and on my side of computer, all is well, just a little slow. My wifes side however, she cannot get into her email. We both use Outlook express and it seems that hers wont boot up. Keeps saying Windows Powershell stopped working.  Other than throwing it out the window,  Any solutions?   Please help... 

Help,,  I just Downloaded Windows 10 and on my side of computer, all is well, just a little slow. My wifes side however, she cannot get into her email. We both use Outlook express and it seems that hers wont boot up. Keeps saying Windows Powershell stopped working.  Other than throwing it out the window,  Any solutions?   Please help... 

Never heard of that issue before but check out this link: http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/12828-after-windows-10-upgrade-getting-powershell-has-stopped-working-error.html

Hope that helps.

I updated yesterday and so far had hardly any problems (choosing the option to not take over any data or programs might have helped). The only thing that did not work at first was sending mails via Outlook, which seems to be a common problem, but I quickly found a solution for that (solving the Outlook issue, not installing Thunderbird or something like that ;)).

Browser wise so far I have sticked to Firefox, only played a minute or so with Edge.

Seems to be the only way to get rid of the tiling without individually removing all of them. Also, I just really love the Start Menu from Windows 7 and thought it was perfect.

I'm on my phone because I barely use my pc but can't you, like right click the start menu and have it show "All Programs" and voila, you have it?

I love how they're touting "Hey, we ditched that old IE and now have Edge!  Look, you can draw on it!"

Everybody takes one look at it, goes "That's nice" and goes right back to their browser of choice.  Never change, Microsoft.

So far after only one crash it's been working pretty nicely.  Have no need for Microsoft's base programs so no worries about paying for shit I don't need ($15 for a bare bones Media Center?  Really, guys?)  Sure, they're trying to make money since the upgrade is free, but anybody with a brain can get around having to pay for their stuff in lieu of free and better products.

Classic shell has been released for windows 10.  With that said, I still can't think of a legitimate reason to upgrade.  None of the "improvements" or changes are things that I'm really interested in.

I enjoy the search bar on the bottom. It's actually good too.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've read absolutely nothing, anywhere that suggests Windows 10 is anything other than a neutron star made out of densely compressed turds that spy on your personal information, but this is the kicker that goes even over that:

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-is-sneaking-onto-new-windows-7-and-8-installs-without-permission/

So, yeah... some of us that don't live in a major city do not have unlimited bandwidth so I'd like to thank Microsoft for now forcing me to turn off automatic security updates on my Windows 7 laptop for the forseeable future to prevent a 6 GB malware install, and also thank them for confirming my next PC will be Linux.

Read through the comments on that article and you'll find a link that destroys the "Microsoft is spying on you" storyline.

The download of such a huge amount of data with express permission is garbage though.