DVDVR Message Board

E3 2015

By and large, the Japanest market has been moving away from console games overall. The PS4 isn't even doing that well over there. That's a big reason why I'm concerned about Sony's Last Guardian/Final Fantasy remake/Shenmue lineup.

Is XCOM turn based strat? Because that would interest me some.

YUP! And it has huge RPG elements too. I never played Ogre Battle, so I can't tell you how close it is to that, but it does sound like something you'd love.

Ogre Battle is far too broad of a game. X-Com works because there have been others like it. The scope for Ogre Battle just isn't going to work the same as X-Com. Maybe on PC, but on consoles? Probably not. 3DS, sure.

Ogre Battle is far too broad of a game. X-Com works because there have been others like it. The scope for Ogre Battle just isn't going to work the same as X-Com.

Still, wouldn't you recommend Fowler try it out?

Mobile gaming is apparently even bigger in Japan than here.

Like it or not (I mostly side with not, personally) that's where this industry is headed.

The other thing is let's face it, the moment consoles connected to the internet, the only real technical difference in PC and console gaming in the long run is going to be "you can't swap certain hardware out on console". Within a gen I think most of the other differences are going to exist mostly in imagination. We're already seeing the start of consoles moving towards things like mods.

PC will always be the choice for more time-intensive strategy though, sure. And there are those FPS players who swear playing with anything but a mouse is wrong, but those people are weird. But I think in general whatever differences there are mostly won't matter in another console generation. There will always be differences but I really don't see there being nearly as much of a split in the long run. Those days are ending.

Mobile gaming... well, it is what it is. More power to them. Make that money, I won't be in on it but I'm clearly not the target audience so they won't care.

• Like 1

Fucking hell, I'm glad you don't run a game company Craig. That shit would be like a more cynical Activision.

How so? Am I saying don't give things a chance? No. I'm saying certain things are very niche so don't be surprised when there isn't a follow up to it.

Fucking hell, I'm glad you don't run a game company Craig. That shit would be like a more cynical Activision.

How so? Am I saying don't give things a chance? No. I'm saying certain things are very niche so don't be surprised when there isn't a follow up to it.

Especially when the first one cost $70 goddamn million to make and helped to run Sega out of the console business....

Sony is smart to Kickstart this rather than fund most of it it themselves when the developer cannot control his spending.

Oh, I definitely don't expect a new Ogre game. Square bought it (after hiring most of the Tactics team to build FF Tactics) and put out one GBA game, like, 14 years ago. It's clearly dead.

But if they did build a new console Ogre Battle... I'd flip. Hell, I'd drop the 400 bucks if it was XBone exclusive.

The live blog I am following on the PC Gaming conference (who are giant PC gaming fans) are just openly making fun of it now, by the way, so that's going well.

So much talking, so little actual gameplay footage, so many topics. Less is more next year guys.

Probably the one line you are most interested in. Seems to still be quite a ways off. Too early to judge.

(I played some Gigantic last night at MS's big pre-E3 party, and it's clearly still in alpha. Lots of sound bugs, interface that doesn't make it clear when a player is getting hit)
by Sam Machkovech 19:43

It singlehandedly justified my buying a Dreamcast as the system was being dropped.

The fact that when I finally got an OG X-Box I could never get my hands on a copy of part II still breaks my heart.

It was the only American game i had for my Japanese DC. (The others were Fire Pro, NJ 4 and Giant Gram 2000.)

Man, Star Wars Battlefront will be a blast.

Cool story from IGN:

In both the debut footage for Star Wars: Battlefront and the latest co-op gameplay trailer, we can see an Imperial Star Destroyer crashing onto the surface of Tatooine.

ADVERTISEMENT

DICE General Manager Patrick Bach told IGN exactly what's going on -- and why you're only sort of involved in bringing it out of the sky.

Star Wars Battlefront E3 2015 Trailer - IGN Live: E3 2015

"We have a concept we call Battle Beyond," Bach told IGN, "The cool thing with this is it's actually part of the player feedback. So depending on which side is winning or losing, these events actually change."

The atmosphere around the battle reflects the success of those on the ground. When the Rebel Alliance is dominating on that particular Tatooine map, part of the visual representation of their success is a flaming Star Destroyer sinking into the surface of the planet. Each map will feature appropriate and different means of communicating the state of the battle for each side.

Bach explained, "It's what you usually do in a UI, you make it bluntly obvious. It's slowly hinting at who's winning, and I think it's a brilliant concept to give you the information and emotion you need to understand or change your plans.... You don't need a gauge blinking. It's part of the world."

For more on Star Wars: Battlefront, stay tuned to IGN.

Especially when the first one cost $70 goddamn million to make and helped to run Sega out of the console business....

It wasn't the game's fault. Only a lunatic would release a game that skews so heavily Japanese exclusively on a system that didn't sell there. Had it come out for Saturn as originally planned, the story would likely be different although the game would have suffered.

Also, $70 million has been debunked as an exaggeration. It was $42 mil.