DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Sage Northcutt is moving down to LW and facing Frank Trevino in his UFC debut at UFC 192.

Bilyal Makhov, who is under UFC contact, is competing at the World Wrestling Championships in Vegas starting next week (9/7). He is doing both Freestyle and Greco-Roman. He needs a top six finish to qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. He finished third at last year's WWC in Greco-Roman.

Ariel Helwani news tidbits on UFC Tonight:

- Lawler is only going to be out a month; Wants to Return at UFC 195

- Travis Browne and Matt Mitrione want to fight each other

- Al Iaquinta doesn't need knee surgery. Iaquinta will be getting stem cell injections in his knee. He might be ready to go in January. He wants to fight Beneil Dariush. Dariush's team wants that fight as well.

- Michael McDonald is cleared to return from his hand injuries. He wants to return before the year is over.

- Do Bronx did come into the Holloway with a pre-existing next injury. Doctors said he can return to training next month.

- Sam Stout has officially retired.

Interesting thing that I saw a couple days ago:

Ant Evans said that the Fight Nights events in Russia will now be shown on Fight Pass. The 9/25 (moved from 9/18) will be the first. Most importantly, the co-main event of the show at this moment (it MAY have changed) is Bellator heavyweight champion Vitaly Minakov vs. Geronimo "Mondragon" dos Santos. Minakov said he wants to finish out his Bellator deal. Bellator can't let this dude fight on a UFC stream while still holding their belt. That's weird as shit.

Guilherme Cruz ‏@guicruzzz 2m2 minutes ago

Former UFC and PRIDE champion Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira has officially retired, will work for the UFC. Story coming to @MMAFighting.

This needed to happen. Give that man a comfy job doing promotion in Brazil or something.

Better late than going on any longer. I'd have liked to have seen Big Nog retire after he KO'd Schaub. Still remember the closing moments of the Nog vs. Mir II fight. Nog hurting Mir with strikes went for a submission trying to be the first to submit Mir only for Frank to be the first to submit Big Nog by breaking his humerus with the kimura.

this thread has become a one-stop shop for upcoming fights. in an effort to engage discussion and hate, here are my all-time favorite fighters, ranked by (UFC) weight class.

Heavyweight (206+)

a. Andrei Arlovski. i LOVE the late-career comeback he's on (win or lose vs. Mir this Saturday), but he was the reason i gave the Affliction events any interest. Hell, i even watched those two (or three?) ProElite events. my #1 most wanted match is Arlovski vs CroCop.

b. Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva. sure, the luster has worn off with the illegalization of TRT, but Bigfoot at once time was a can't-miss dude. i still root for him.

c. Fedor Emelianenko. come on, you can't go undefeated for 30+ fights over the course of Pride/Affliction/Strikeforce without swaying my opinion eventually. dude was unstoppable then.

Light Heavyweight (186-205)

a. Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson. his interviews are as entertaining as his fights. This is a guy that always said what he wanted, and was usually able to back it up. When he couldn't, you fucking knew it.

b. Wanderlei Silva. Pride-era especially. 'nuff said.

c. Kazushi Sakuraba. would be #1 but his career (and subsequent beatings) drop him down for me. Always a joy to watch. so much spontaneous greatness.

Middleweight (171-184)

a. Chris Leben. my all-time favorite fighter. Always left everything he had out there. never the most talented or gifted, but you knew you were getting a fight when he was on the card.

b. Ikuhisa Minowa. some weird combination of persona, attitude, and fighting ability (not necessarily fighting style). in that order, probably.

Welterweight (156-169)

a. Karo Parisyn. i honestly don't even know why. His judo throws were awesome. EVERY SINGLE UFC FIGHT went to decision, but i still loved to watch him.

b. Carlos Newton. one of the first lower class (at the time) fighters to catch my interest. brought a lot of new techniques to the forefront.

Lightweight (146-154)

a. Roger Huerta. maybe this was just the UFC hype machine doing its job, but i loved watching this dude fight.

b. Joe Lauzon. joe-jitsu master and a guy that, even when overmatched, still can show you a thing or three.

c. Jeremy Stephens. irrational love. no explanation. i think for some reason it stems from Jens Pulver, but i really don't know how or why.

Featherweight (136-145)

a. Jose Aldo. he won me over in WEC and never let up.

Bantamweight (145-)

a. Renan Barao. maybe it's because of the fun in shouting out his last name (it's become a go-to as far as sexual insults among my friends BA-RAO!

b. Marlon Moraes. admittedly, i haven't followed WSOF in probably a year or so, but he caught my attention in a weight class that few do.

Bantamweight (Women's, 145-)

a. Miesha Tate. partially the rivalry with Rousey. partially that she thinks she's a face but is clearly the heel. partially the brutal beatdowns she takes before the comeback.

Strawweight (Women's, 115-)

*this being a very recent division in the UFC, i have a few potentials but nobody has solidified a spot yet for me. either that, or i'm drunk at 4 AM and just can't think of their name. either one, really.

**you may notice that there's no flyweight rankings. i just haven't been enthralled yet. i hope someday it happens.

**also, Ken Shamrock is my old school favorite, mainly due to seeing him in the WWF in '97 and beyond.

Favorite pre-weight class fighter: KEITH FUCKING HACKNEY! From the brutal knock out of Emmanuel Yarborough complete with torn t-shirt and sweatpants (!) to beating Joe Son more or less through repeated blows to Joe's sons prior to getting the choke to putting up a great effort (relatively speaking) against ROYCE.

A friend and I went through the first 10 or so UFC shows and had a blast. Such brutal violence. I think one of my all time favourite UFC moments from UFC 1 when the announcer says something along the lines of "there's so much strategy here," just as big ol' "I can eat 4 large pizzas!" Kevin Rozier unleashes the least technical looking overhand rights you'll see in the octagon on Zane Frazier followed by them just throwing fists with no rhyme or reason. It's great.

Watching those spurred me on to buy Big John's book, which was a tremendous read. Even his views on life/justice/policing/whatever are pretty much a stark contrast to my views, the sections on his dad and time with LAPD are an interesting/horrifying look into police work in the '80s and early '90s, particularly during the LA riots. Reading about his perspective on the growth of the UFC and the transition from SEG to ZUFFA was the fucking best though. And he's actually really funny, usually making me laugh at least once each chapter once he gets into the MMA section. 

1) Claudia Gadelha is a fucking idiot.

2) Valerie vs. Joanna at UFC 193, two women's MMA title fights on the card.  Awesome!

3) Rankings writers better get Valerie up the fucking rankings now after ranking her BELOW freaking Maryna Moroz after beating her!

item 1: i forgot to mention Babalu in my favorite fighters list.

item 2: i thought this 'Go Big' deal was to announce the signing of fedor? i guess that hasn't happened yet? there can't be any other serious offers other than the UFC, can there?

item 1: i forgot to mention Babalu in my favorite fighters list.

item 2: i thought this 'Go Big' deal was to announce the signing of fedor? i guess that hasn't happened yet? there can't be any other serious offers other than the UFC, can there?

He can always do something silly like fighting for some Russian promotion against nobodies.

The primary purpose of the presser was to officially announce the remaining schedule for the year. Anything else was just extra.

I think a sticking point might be Fedor wanting to have one last NYE fight in Japan. The only group that is/was in the mix was Sakakibara's soon-to-be-ill-fated PRIDE revival group. The problem here is again...Sakakibara is essentially blackballed in his own country. He has been planning this show for several months now and calling any available ex PRIDE fighter. However, nothing has been set in stone. Unless there has been this crazy development where they got sponsors and major TV coverage, it's going to be tough as hell to get the show off the ground. Even if he can sign some talent and convince higher ups (and you know...the yakuza) to let him promote, this still ain't 2004. The scene over there is deader than dead.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 35s

Dana White says the next UFC heavyweight title fight "probably won't happen until March."

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 10s

White said Werdum does not want to fight until March.

I knew I wasn't crazy. I dunno why people were saying Werdum was going to fight before the end of 2015.