DVDVR Message Board

Shadows of Mordor

Guest The Magnificent 7

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm getting to the point where I don't fear combat even in strongholds.  I did that one bonus mission in The Pit, where you take on an eff-ton of orcs and you have to kill 50 of them to beat it, and the bonus thing is you have to get a 100 hit streak.  I nailed that 100 streak, had a few close calls after that but killed 50 of those bastards.  What makes this game pretty great (well there's a ton of reasons) is I rarely saw repeat execution moves and there was just a crazy variety in how I went about wrecking those fools.  Exploded some heads with my wraith powers, arrows to the knee, head hacking with a broken sword like Conan did Thulsa Doom wrong, and grabbing dudes and stabbing them many times in the back like The Raid 2. 

Just a tremendous game.

I've killed a lot of captains, but I think I interfere too much in those red events sometimes.  I like the P points, of course, but maybe I'll see how some of them play out without me interfering.

A few days ago I hit the point in the second half of the game where you get the "brand" ability that allows you to take enemies under control, and damn if that isn't incredibly fun, especially the "combat brand" ability. Going into a big shmozz with a ton of uruks and slowly turning it into a gang war is pretty crazy.

There was a story mission where I had to carry a wounded woman out of a stronghold while under attack, and I could only imagine how frustrating that would be under normal circumstances. Fortunately, I was rolling with a posse of about 10 uruks who did a lot of work for me.

I do wish your slave uruks were a little easier to direct outside of combat, as they tend to wander off if you travel without getting into combat too long. BUT I'm impressed that the game remembers all the random uruks you enslaved, even after you've been separated. There've been countless times where I've stumbled across one of my dudes just chilling somewhere, ready for me to give em the word.

Really great game, took a lot of the best elements of AC and Batman games with their own twist.

The orcs rarely say the same thing twice, and some of the names and voicework during their introductions in duels are genius. The ones that don't talk, just smile and gnash their teeth are the best.

Doing the captain and warchief missions are seemingly infinite? And are so much fun it took me ages to do the story missions. The hunting missions with that dwarf can go to hell though. That's the best part of the game though, even if you complete the game you can just switch it on and get into fights.

I'd like to know when it was decided all orcs are cockneys and all dwarfs have terrible Scottish accents, but it has to be said the voicework is top notch in this game. 

My favourite thing is grabbing archers and throwing them from a great height  :D .

Finished everything now, think I might brand all captains and warchiefs to see what happens, as I don't think you can clear Sauron's army as they just promote new uruks. Tremendous game, not enjoyed a game this much since Arkham City.

I played the prolouge/tutorial and enough to get killed a couple times, but it's behind a few other games before I'll really get to it. But at first glance, it's awesome even if it doesn't feel like Tolkien.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Orcs these days have no loyalty. I interrupted one of those execution deals where one captain is going to hack off another captain's head and I killed the executioner.  I wipe out all the guys and he comes straight over and starts bashing on me right after he gets promoted.  I let him live and ran off since he has a cool name, Kugluck the Blue.  He better have a sixer of Miller High Life for me, though, the next time I see him or he's going to get his head chopped off for certain...cool name and look or not.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Killed my first warchief just a bit ago.  Skrak something or other.  A perfect 10 on the ugly scale.  He was susceptible to ranged stuff and I had killed his bodyguard right before, so I mostly climbed shit and shot him to weaken him and he walked by one of those explosive barrels and shot that and it really did a number on him.  Dropped down and finished the job.  Really satisfying. 

After that I played around with the photo mode in my game and captured this particular moment.  What pretty mountains, right?  Just look at those beautfiul textures.  Oh you can't see them?  That's because there IS AN EXPLODING HEAD IN FRONT OF THEM.  And sorry about the orc's flying sword obscuring the view, too.  I'll try and tone down the head explosions next time.  Ha.

1zgbam0.png

Love this game.  I'm posting the photo mode tutorial for all systems.  This helped me out a great deal because I'm not super Xbox One boy yet with how to work everything. 

http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/How_to:_Capture_images_and_share_from_Photo_Mode

Guest The Magnificent 7

So, got over the not at all Tolkien-esque ultra violence?

Ha, yeah you could say that.  I'm definitely in the "oh snap" phase of this game, where you are excited about all the new things you're doing.  In a month or two I'll probably understand / subscribe to that criticism better.  For now I'm overlooking it.  :)

Following Gollum while he sings is hilarious. Don't follow him too fast or you won't get to hear all of his ridiculous lyrics. 

I did that one bonus mission in The Pit, where you take on an eff-ton of orcs and you have to kill 50 of them to beat it, and the bonus thing is you have to get a 100 hit streak.  I nailed that 100 streak, had a few close calls after that but killed 50 of those bastards. 

Just did that earlier. I didn't think I'd hit the 100 streak bonus, but I somehow ended up with a streak of 220 and change. Felt unstoppable. My power ups at this point are pretty deadly.

Not sure what I need to do, but I look forward to whatever skill I need to be able to fight and possibly climb ogres.

I never realize how much time I spend playing this. About 14 or 15 hours at this point and I'm still not even close to being halfway done with it. 

I got the platinum trophy today. It's a pretty easy platinum, actually, if you're into that sort of thing. The brand ability makes it pretty easy to gimmick some of the more complicated Nemesis system manipulation-related trophies in your favor.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The moment warchief Mogg The Other Twin looks upon his life and regrets his choices...

ixxi11.png

This picture wasn't as sharp as the one before because I think the frame and stuff I threw on there.  Still just messing around with the photo mode so will do better in the future.  We should have a board photo contest or something.  Prize is a slow clap from me, and an atta-boy. 

I just unlocked the fire arrow and saved up all my scrilla for that 20 second unlimited stealth kills upgrade, which is super handy to eliminate large groups around your target to get him in a one on one situation.  I used it against Mogg and was able to get him down a bit in health before his backup arrived.  They did arrive, but I took care of the berserkers and finished the job. 

I played for five or six hours so far and am at around 4% because KILL THE ORCS SLAY THE ORCS DESTROY THE ORCS

It's weird how all the graphics are whatever until you see an Uruk and they're the most beautifully rendered graphics in PS4's short history

Why can't they make a fucking Conan game like this?

The litmus test for enjoying this game is this:  Every time you see orcs around a campfire you blow that shit up no matter what the hell you were doin'.  The more of a sadistic asshole with a cruel imagination the better.  Virtual ant squishing.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Was humbled by a warchief, Lugdash Caragor-Tamer, as his bodyguard and two other chiefs showed up and it was just too much for me to handle.  Grabbed this picture in the rain.  It's me pulling my broken sword out of this uruk's neck during a stealth kill.  It's a bit dark, but I like how drawing the weapon out how the blood has that comic book arc swoop shedding from the blade. 

ip9yll.png

I am halfway done, I think.

Just killed that first Black Captain and met Lithariel and her mother (probably spelled her name wrong)

One thing that bothers me with this game - I wish the AI was better. Orcs can't see too far. Sometimes I'm in front of one and I just run right past it without him noticing. Stealth is a little too easy here.