DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 12/26/14

victor

I'll disagree about Reigns and the scripted promo. The problem is poor writing that doesn't sound like something the character would say. I'm a verbose sort, and could go out there and deliver a fifteen-minute monologue... that's who I am... Reigns stuff needs to be short, to the point and until they come up with a better catchphrase, end with "believe THAT!"

Folks, I love me some Dean Ambrose (and Wade Barrett too), but let's not forget that Dean made his bed years ago on the indies. If the biggest thing on your cv is "garbage matches", guess what you're likely going to be doing. I agree that it's a horrible waste of a very talented guy, but at least I understand why they're doing it.

A lot of people are bringing up Barrett.. :D  Barrett got over with terrible promos. I can't see how anyone can 'poor content' as an excuse anymore. Barrett is a perfect guy for Reigns because he will make Reigns fucking fight. Reigns has a cool look and vibe about him. He does that cool Superman punch and that running kick thing on the apron. There's a lot of good in him and it's easy to see why they would pick Reigns over some guys.

But why the fuck would they choose the likes of Kane (who hasn't had a good singles match in like 10 years) and Orton (who is so set in his box, you'd have to literally burn it down to get him to come out of it). If you are trying to develop a guy for the big time, those two fucks are not the answer.

I'll take Barrett over Reigns too if that helps?

Does that mean you're voting for Brie in March Madness? :D

• Like 1

The IWC shitting all over Reigns puzzles me no end. No, he isn't Nick Bockwinkel, but he's perfectly fine in his role as a power guy. The tag match was all sorts of good, even with Big Show slowing things down. I'm not going to say that Reigns is the next Rock, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he were. The dude has IT in spades.

People aren't even giving him a chance to fail. For all the bitching people do when Cena and Orton get shoved down everyone's throats, any time they try to push someone else it feels like the same people start throwing fits. Just because someone isn't specifically handpicked by the audience to succeed doesn't mean that person won't be enjoyable to watch.

That said, Reigns would be better off if they waited another year to give him the big push. 

Reigns has more appeal than Ambrose. If the end goal is to make more viewers, Reigns smile would make women watch if they had him do a promotional tour.

Ambrose annoys the shit out of me because he sells everything like goddamn Taz. Not everything deserves a 'ffugkgdhkursxwsgijcjnhyo!!!!!' face.

Dean has become very one-dimensional with his matches over the last month or two.  They are all brawls and street fights but lack any motivation.  He is slotting himself in the mid-card as a wildman who just has street fights/cage matches. 

I think Ambrose is better at non-garbage matches. His match against Rusev on Smackdown this week was a blast. 

• Like 1

OSJ, on 27 Dec 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

The IWC shitting all over Reigns puzzles me no end. No, he isn't Nick Bockwinkel, but he's perfectly fine in his role as a power guy. The tag match was all sorts of good, even with Big Show slowing things down. I'm not going to say that Reigns is the next Rock, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he were. The dude has IT in spades.

The problem is he isn't being booked as a power guy he's being booked as the soon to be company ace. Plus Rollins has better power spots than the so called power guy.

If Rollins is bad what does that make Reigns? You can clearly see the improvements in Rollins at all phases of the game. Reigns is the same guy he was 10 months ago only without two top 10 WWE guys masking all his flaws.

I'd agree that Ambrose is better in regular matches. He gets a little too spotty and ECW tributey when he's in gimmick matches. Though I have enjoyed quite a few of his street fights he doesn't need to do them every week.

Folks, I love me some Dean Ambrose (and Wade Barrett too), but let's not forget that Dean made his bed years ago on the indies. If the biggest thing on your cv is "garbage matches", guess what you're likely going to be doing. I agree that it's a horrible waste of a very talented guy, but at least I understand why they're doing it.

Dean has more to him than garbage matches.  If his wrestling cv consisted solely of garbage matches he would still be in the indies.

He needs to open up the technical stuff in his matches and work that into the story of the match leading to a couple of lesser garbage spots that setup the finisher.  In other words, shift the focus from garbage to technical.

• Like 1

Rollins has that Midwesterner voice. I am not sure why anyone would listen to that. Just because you don't screw up doesn't mean you did a good job.

I'm more of a sucker for southern drawls.

I refer you to Vince McMahon's opinion on Jim Ross as it relates to how WWE views southern drawls.

I'll disagree about Reigns and the scripted promo. The problem is poor writing that doesn't sound like something the character would say. I'm a verbose sort, and could go out there and deliver a fifteen-minute monologue... that's who I am... Reigns stuff needs to be short, to the point and until they come up with a better catchphrase, end with "believe THAT!"

The problem, John, is that he's bombing on two minute backstage promos that they could pre-tape and get right. They're not seeing any problem with his delivery when it's right in their face. It's well and good to say that Wrestler X can get over if they just do Y, but more often than not they DON'T do Y and Wrestler X gets over if he actually gets over despite what they actually do, and I'm not sure that Reigns can manage that right now. 

I'm with whoever said they should give him another year. His goal for this Mania should be Rusev and the US title and not whoever has the World title.

• Like 1

Rollins has that Midwesterner voice. I am not sure why anyone would listen to that. Just because you don't screw up doesn't mean you did a good job.

I refer you to Vince McMahon's opinion on Jim Ross as it relates to how WWE views southern drawls.

Vince seems to have no problem with JBL and his drawl. 

NB: Texas ain't the South.

Matt; I quite agree, this should be Reigns' year to feud with Rusev, eventually taking the strap and see if he get's more adept at the scripted promos he's given or if the writers get better at writing for his character. Then next year strap the rocket on and see what happens.

Humblebrag? Me?  I think you must have your wires crossed. I realize that you are known round these parts as a modest fellow (with a great deal to be modest about), but you're definitely barking up the wrong tree. I'm sorry I took you off ignore, just to see what you might have contributed to this thread... Oh well. back in the box with you...

Rollins is a bad promo too tbh

Rollins isn't a great promo, but most of his issue is the shit that the writers script for him.

"Dean Ambrose is held tightly in the grip of insanity. I knew that at HELL IN A CELL, to defeat the embodiment of pure insanity, I would have to transcend insanity. What you saw last night was a man who has TRANSCENDED INSANITY. Ambrose's brutish insanity was not enough to stop SETH ROLLINS from continuing to make his way to the top of WWE!"

That's a reasonable approximation of your typical Rollins promo. Like, who the fuck actually talks like that? The writers are the worst. 

Keeping him on commentary for almost twenty years?

I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, but the commentators were beyond horrible.  In one match they reached new levels for me.  Todd was asking if Cole remember something from a couple months ago.  To which Cole said "I don't even remember what happened on Raw last Monday!"

So if the announcers are portrayed as not caring to remember what happened, then why should they expect fans to do so?  I know they're getting instructions to say things, but is it too hard to at least let them sound like they know/care about what's been happening?  I damn near blew a gasket when that was said.

To be fair, SD was recorded before Raw so Cole literally couldn't have known what happened on Raw.

(Yes, I'm aware the commentary was probably post-production.)

JBL got in the Christmas Creature reference re: Kane in near-record time.

I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, but the commentators were beyond horrible.  In one match they reached new levels for me.  Todd was asking if Cole remember something from a couple months ago.  To which Cole said "I don't even remember what happened on Raw last Monday!"

So if the announcers are portrayed as not caring to remember what happened, then why should they expect fans to do so?  I know they're getting instructions to say things, but is it too hard to at least let them sound like they know/care about what's been happening?  I damn near blew a gasket when that was said.

49949d8e4545651c63fbf12be7a02539.jpg

• Like 1