DVDVR Message Board

The Posse Cuts Thread

Thomas Bugg

Anyone that's a true hip-hop head knows that one of the best tracks on any LP is the posse cut. It's where a bunch of cats get in the booth and spit 8-16 bars or more of the hottest, hungriest lines that they can muster, and it brings out the best of even the weakest of MC's, not to mention lyrical juggernauts- even established acts spit lines in posse cuts like they're Unsigned Hype in Source magazine looking for a contract. 

Now I put the tags in because I know those three will get mentioned a lot, but here's one to start that I think no one will think of....

Don't get me wrong.  That Geto Boyz track is the fucking meteorite.

The amazing thing about The Headbanger vid is that Parrish Smith and Erick Sermon absolutely hated each other at the time because of the tension caused by the strongarm burglary of Smith's house that was allegedly paid for by Sermon.  They were professional enough to finish the shoot and EPMD broke up shortly after that.

They'd reuinte in 1997 only to break up again in 2005 and then get back together again in 2006.

Also, the posse cut started out as an amazing treat. Nowadays, with every track  being Yung X (feat Y-Dawg, Z Money, Swagga Q, 2 Silly, etc) they're essentially meaningless. I might even argue that the posse cut (and bastardization of the Wu-Tang model) led to the current state of hip-hop where being able to drop more than 16 bars is considered mad skills.