DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Is it safe to say that NXT and Lucha Underground areĀ  (respectively) the number 1 and 2 wrestling shows in America right now? LU has yet to jump-the-shark and every week we can see improvements. LU is doing something not a lot of wrestling companies are willing/able to do: make mistakes, learn from those mistakes, and grow.

I just stumbled across this show over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Well, actually I've never been too keen on the lucha style and the ridiculous amount of standing around the wrestlers have to do to set up the more spectacular spots or the very obvious degree of cooperation that goes along with many of the lesser spot, but I loved the atmosphere, the camera work, and the characters. I'll keep watching.

NXT and Lucha Underground are both so good that if WWE programming went away entirely, I'd hardly miss it. 3 hours of RAW to get the hour (or less) of good stuff is just a chore. Both NXT and LU benefit from having to use their time sensibly and get as much bang for the buck as they can within the constraints of an hour show. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really have to think that an hour and a half to two hours is about right for a wrestling show. I realize that what VKM offers is not necessarily a wrestling show, but if I had the choice, I'd love to see an hour shaved off of RAW if it meant less RAW is talk and more in-ring action. There's nothing wrong with interviews and promos, but they drastically need to be curtailed.

• Like 1

For the record, I've started watching LU lately, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Early thoughts.

-Watching Ricochet go from being "that guy with the Double Moonsault" to "All Around Fantastic Wrestler" is one of my favorite things in the last few years.

-I have very little experience with the Lucha guys, but Fenix, Pentagon, Drago, and... The guy whose feuding with Drago whose name escapes me all have fucking ruled. That straight Tope in the opening 10 man was arguably my pick for dive of the night.

• 2 weeks later...

This list of Lucha Underground trademark applications is pretty cool -

Lucha Underground
Big Ryck
Mr. Cisco
Son of Havoc
El Hijo Del Havoc
John-Tourage
Johnny World
Johnny Mundo
Dario Cueto
Prince Puma
Aztec Dragon
Sus Otomis
Piston Paw Jack
Mariposa Y Las Lost Girls
Mariposa
Moon Kobra
The Stingray Sisters
Ivelisse
Mil Muertes and The Gallery
Cage
Aztec Warfare
Beal
Black Lotus
King Cuerno
Mil Muertes
Catrina
Cortez Castro

Moon Kobra sounds like the greatest thing already.

• Like 1

That might wanna be spoilered.Ā 

Ā 

Match was entertaining. Vampiro not only busted Striker down a notch early on but also covered for the luchadors giving everyone space to run two apiece in the ring to run through their shit, saying it was good psychology to rest and let others do the work. He also said it was stupid to break up pinfalls in a match like that... good work, Vamp (I never thought I'd say that). It was a constant string of spots, yeah, but what else did you expect? They still managed to work in storylines like Big Ryck having his gang taken out before he came in then him not matching up, like before, but instead just stomping the shit out of a bunch of people. If you were pissed about him working even with Mascarita earlier then witness the lariat and near 10-count here and rejoice. Sexy Star and Demon get their revenge on Chavito (who was also great just being a dick and using the chair) too. I wish Super Fly would have come in earlier so see more of his flying but it's a small gripe. This isn't for everyone but I thought it worked out fine. Cuerno is my favorite guy in this fed still with his tope of all topes and stalking, "hunter" character.

Really dug the format as someone who always used to play the pin/sub-only Rumble format on Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy.

Liked how it took multiple finishers and two guys covering to eliminate both Ryck and Muertes.

Cool to see Ivelisse in there, though I wish she had more to do.Ā  Guess there's only so much you can do with two active women on the roster(I assume Catrina won't be wrestling).

As much as I like Striker's commentary, I got a laugh out of grumpy Vampiro bugging him about taking notes.

• Like 1

I loved Johnny selling completely fearful as hell after he kicked Caterina. It also provides a way for Mil Muertes to go babyface. Unlike Big Ryck, Mil Muertes cares for something besides himself.

Chavo is just fantastic and I'm looking forward to him getting involved in more involved in-ring action outside of the angle with Sexy Star (which is a good angle and all, and I like the way they're booking it) because his ability to bridge the American and Lucha styles should really help the overall growth of the promotion and the wrestlers. Ā His dickishness transcends all barriers.

Ā 

They have so many talented and compelling workers in the promotion now and while I understand Lucha would and should always be their bread-and-butter I think it's to everyone's benefit that they don't promote themselves into a stylistic corner. Ā 

Ā 

This is the first real, distinct alternative to the WWE product in over a decade, and I hope it can last and grow and find a niche. Ā Anyone know if they have any plans for house shows or PPV?

I would love for them tour/do a PPV. Ā But I'd imagine they'd want to get a little more established before doing that. Ā As good as the Unimas number is, it'd be great if more eyes saw this. Ā If it can consistently grow for a length of time then I'd be fine with them trying it. Ā But right now to me it'd be a risk.

Vampiro not only busted Striker down a notch earlyĀ 

Ā 

The moment where Striker was rapid firing thru a lot of PBP, urgently said "take it Vampiro!" and Vampiro just went silent was the top moment in Vampiro's career, hands down. Vampiro transitioning from miscast guy trying to do a good job to straight up troll a bit bored at redoing commentary is kind of awesome.

Ā 

(except he's either been told to build up a match with Johnny Mundo or he's just been told to work harder heel and he's picking Mundo himself and neither thing is good.)

Ā 

Anyone know if they have any plans for house shows or PPV?

Ā 

They have super mapped out plans for those things and others which haven't been hinted at yet; those sort of things wouldn't start until late next year at the earliest, if they get that far.

Another great show and still the best wrestling show on US TV. I wasn't worried about one match taking up the entire hour since they have enough talent to make it work but I was a bit worried things would be way too rushed. Didn't feel that way though. Thought the guys who put the match together did a tremendous job giving everyone a chance to shine & having continious running stories from Drago/Cuerno to Chavo's stuff to setting up Morrison/Muerte to the little details like 2 people needed to pin both Ryck & Muerte.

Ā 

Soooooooooooooo many amazing spots you could make a laundry list with them but my top ones would probably be Fenix dropkicking the shit out of little Mascarita, Fenix's crazy rope walk dive, Drago's overshot tornillo, the dual springboard 450's, Chavo being scared shitless of Fenix's 450 & whatever that spot was where Morrison lept over the top and Puma had to take that nasty bump on the edge of the apron.

Ā 

Definitely a match worth checking out & I hope they bring the concept back in season 2 for a shot at the belt or something along those lines. But please next time - don't let Chavo Jr. eliminate Pentagon. That broke my heart.

Ā 

The commentary seemed especially terrible this week but honestly I just tune it out for the most part. I did chuckle when Vamp blew Striker off when he asked for help with the PBP.

Ā 

I know season 1 isn't over yet & we still have fun stuff like the Drago/Cuerno (presumed) blow-off along with Aero Star's debut & Cage showing up but I'm eager to see where they go in season 2.

Sorry, should I have spoiler boxed that? I figured since it was taped many weeks ago & they posted clips of him in the leaked highlights it was okay. I'll be more careful.

Ā 

As long as it's out though - I heard his first match in is really just an exhibition for his opponent but he gets to do stuff the following week in a six man tag.

Aztec Warfare was very good but I thought more weapons and plunder was going to be involved based on the way Darin CuetoĀ was selling. WouldĀ will beĀ interesting to see if Sexy Star gets a title shot and that kick to Catrina was nasty as hell.Ā Vamp is still terrible on color and Striker trying to chance the names of moves gets old very fast. Springboard frankinrana fuck you Matt it's a springboard Rana not that fucking hard. A standing C4 (Puma/Mondo are on the top rope) fucking Striker. Look forward to seeing what happens in the next few weeks of the show.