DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

For most of my life (I'm 38) and probably dating back to the mid-to-late 1960s there's been a movement within superhero entertainment (comics and movies) to move it away from entertainment directed at the wonders and imaginations of kids and teens and more towards a more cynical and increasingly violent tone aimed at unfuckable MMA fans in their twenties and thirties who consider Die Hard a Christmas movie.

As this shift has happened in the comics and now in the movies, the movies stopped being fun and even stopped being as creative. Then ultimately they stop being as successful. 

So yeah, fuck R-rated superhero flicks and comics. 

To hell with all this Deadpool BS no one cares about, Martin Freeman is playing:

Everett Ross

My day is made.

I cared, bro.

Whomever picked Everett Ross in the "Who Will Martin Freeman Play In Civil War?" pool chose correctly.

Which means that we should see more of Freeman in the upcoming Black Panther movie.

For most of my life (I'm 38) and probably dating back to the mid-to-late 1960s there's been a movement within superhero entertainment (comics and movies) to move it away from entertainment directed at the wonders and imaginations of kids and teens and more towards a more cynical and increasingly violent tone aimed at unfuckable MMA fans in their twenties and thirties who consider Die Hard a Christmas movie.

1. Those kids grew up and still read comics.  Comic book companies were smart enough to figure out where the money came from.  Comics have not been written with an audience of children in mind for ages.

2. DieHard is the one of the best Christmas movies ever.   You just don't get to see the part where John opens presents with his kids the next day.

3. Deadpool is about as cynical as Guardians of the Galaxy as in not very cynical at all.   It is an episode of Teletubbies compared to the weight of The Dark Knight or Man of Steel.   Is it violent? Yeah.  So were all of those horror comics you still got to read as a kid in the 80's..

• Like 3

As this shift has happened in the comics and now in the movies, the movies stopped being fun and even stopped being as creative. Then ultimately they stop being as successful. 

So yeah, fuck R-rated superhero flicks and comics. 

You don't think the Deadpool movie was fun and creative?

Do you think Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Hellcat and Ant-Man are cynical and violent comics? That's where the market is trending. Which Marvel comics do you think are overly cynical or violent? Even the current Carnage book is pretty tame.

EDIT:  Hell, what about the Ant-Man MOVIE? That was just last year.

I saw Deadpool last Saturday, it had some funny parts, but it was mostly meh for me. I can see how others liked it. 

I got burned out on comics about 10 years ago due to DC having a rash of arms being torn off and Marvel's seemingly never ending event cycle. If comics are trending towards a more lighthearted, kid-friendly feel, that's awesome. I'll gladly plead ignorance.

I didn't like Ant-Man because it was a remake of the first Iron Man with less charm. 

My comment was more of a response to studios seeing Deadpool make a boatload of money and all of the sudden realizing that they can make R-rated movies of things they make action figures of. I don't think it bodes well. 

It's only FOX though.  Disney is not going to do an R-rated comic book movie. WB is not going to do one either.   FOX will but characters like Wolverine and X-Force have been for mature audiences so it makes sense. 

The great thing about it is you can choose not to watch Disney or FOX or WB.  They are all doing something different. The options are out there. 

Pretty good track record though WB didn't make all of them.  V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Constantine, were all varying degrees of good to excellent in my book. 

I didn't love Red though I know others liked it. 

I didn't love The Losers. 

I hated Jonah Hex.  What the fuck was that.

I think that if they didn't call it Constantine and just sold it as urban fantasy in the generic, people would generally recognize it as harmlessly bland, enjoyable but not really interesting.  But it's such a poor adaptation of that particular character that it gets people's blood up.

My comment was more of a response to studios seeing Deadpool make a boatload of money and all of the sudden realizing that they can make R-rated movies of things they make action figures of. I don't think it bodes well. 

If that is the true sentiment of your first post, then I totally agree. 

I also hate the bandwagonyness of Hollywood and Deadpool's success only means that other studios will try to cash in and what was once special won't be anymore.  That will suck.